Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
pdcrig Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I've got a project '03 Springfield that I'm working on and recently picked up a pristine set of Buehler rings and a base for it. Now I need to get it drilled and tapped. I've got a very knowledgeable gunsmith trying to convince me that I'm going to regret mounting the Buehler as they tend to come loose over time and don't hold up as well as the Redfield system. The Springer is chambered in 35 Whelen which he says will give the Buehler a pretty good pounding.
Have any of you guys experienced this issue with Buehler mounts and rings? Do they hold up well? Do I need to be concerned?
I really like the look, feel, and weight of the Buehler and I love the vintage look with my Weaver K4.
I'm willing to move to a Redfield but only if I can find a vintage JR with rings. But I don't want to.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
IMHO, properly installed Buehler's hold up as well as the Redfield type system but you need to follow the supplied instructions on removing the shims from the rings to compensate for variances in scope tube size & getting the bottom of both rings flat against the base. If you have rings that were previously fitted to a different scope or if the shims are missing the odds of getting a proper fit are not good.

It always tickled me that at the bottom of the instructions there was a comment from Maynard Buehler that said "when all else fails, follow the instructions" so I'm assuming that not everyone did.

FYI Weatherby used to picture a lot of their rifles & scopes mounted with Buehler bases & rings.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Properly set up, screws tight, Buehler ring system is solid, has stood the test of time.

I'm not sure what the smith in question is thinking, what his experience has been. Would like to hear his reason for not liking Buehler.

DF

P
pdcrig Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks guys.

The smith says he's seen several Buehler mounts come in that just won't stay tight and guys can't hold zero with them. Guess they didn't read the directions. I don't have directions either.
He says that he'll mount the Buehler but if I want to switch to something else someday it wouldn't be easy and or very cost effective.
I'm thinking I might sell this setup and just go with the Redfield. But I don't want to right now.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
pdcrig

If you will PM me with an E-Mail address I will scan & send you a copy of the instructions for installing Buehler split rings.

Basically you need to remove the layers of shim stock (spacer w/16 layers .002" thick) from the front ring until the spud of the ring that fits into the base measures 0.499" with the ring clamped onto the scope tube (slot @ the bottom of the ring will be 3/64") & assuming the scope tube is where the rear ring sets is the same diameter as the front you remove the same # of shims from the rear ring.

Note that front & rear ring halves & shims are not interchangeable so don't get them mixed up (why used Buehler rings are a gamble).

1" Buehler rings were made to fit scope tubes from 1.002" to 0.993". Properly installed they are a very functional & nice looking scope mounting system.

Last edited by shotgunner; 12/06/16.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shotgunner
IMHO, properly installed Buehler's hold up as well as the Redfield type system but you need to follow the supplied instructions on removing the shims from the rings to compensate for variances in scope tube size & getting the bottom of both rings flat against the base. If you have rings that were previously fitted to a different scope or if the shims are missing the odds of getting a proper fit are not good.

It always tickled me that at the bottom of the instructions there was a comment from Maynard Buehler that said "when all else fails, follow the instructions" so I'm assuming that not everyone did.

FYI Weatherby used to picture a lot of their rifles & scopes mounted with Buehler bases & rings.

Not just Weatherby, Maynard's advertising back in the day showed a lot of large bore custom stuff with his mounts. Like 600 Nitro H&H doubles and other top fuelers.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
IMO, the problem is not setting them up right.

If someone screws up the shims, has less than tight grip on the scope, problems may occur.

My experience with Buehler has been stellar.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There are other mounts that resemble the slick-looking Buehlers, such as Conetrol. Might save some trouble.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Conetrols are great, less complicated and probably look even better than Buehler.

You gotta keep the matched parts matched, as they're manufactured in sets.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
IMO, the problem is not setting them up right.

If someone screws up the shims, has less than tight grip on the scope, problems may occur.

My experience with Buehler has been stellar.

DF

This^^^.............I've had several sets of Buehler rings on guns over the years with a lot more recoil than an '06, with absolutely no issues & have installed them on a fair number of other guns.

In fact, I still have one set that's been on a gun continuously since the mid-'80 & it's been all over North America & it's never moved.

MM

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Conetrols are great..............but can definitly be tricky to get installed correctly for a novice or a 1st time user.

MM

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Conetrols are great..............but can definitly be tricky to get installed correctly for a novice or a 1st time user.

MM

True.

But if one pays attention, is careful to keep matched parts together and carefully assembles those parts, they'll be there rock solid indefinitely.

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

MM

True.

But if one pays attention, is careful to keep matched parts together and carefully assembles those parts, they'll be there rock solid indefinitely.

DF

Conetrol is back in business as well.

DF I found a Howa Mark V 240 weatherby 9 lug with a 26" barrel along with 3 boxes of the yellow box ammo for 750. It has Beuhler rings and bases and a bubble pack Bushnell mounted on it. Fair condition is 750 out the door for everything. What do you think?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd rather have a Buehler mount than a Redfield/Leupold turn-in style.

Is your mount the standard style with the two windage screws on the back or is it a micro-dial style that has both windage and elevation built into the rear?

Micro-dials are a little tricky the first time you use them, but the standard style bases aren't any more difficult to install or use than any other common mount.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This! Just stay with the Buehler mounts & set them up correctly. JMHO

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

MM

True.

DF

DF I found a Howa Mark V 240 weatherby 9 lug with a 26" barrel along with 3 boxes of the yellow box ammo for 750. It has Beuhler rings and bases and a bubble pack Bushnell mounted on it. Fair condition is 750 out the door for everything. What do you think?

Howa makes the Vanguard.

MkV has been made in Japan, not sure by whom.

A .240 MkV is worth more than $750 if in decent shape. The other stuff is just lagniappe. I'd jump on that deal if I was in the market.

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

MM

True.

DF

Howa makes the Vanguard.

A .240 MkV is worth more than $750 if in decent shape. The other stuff is just lagniappe. I'd jump on that deal if I was in the market.

DF

They were made by Howa and unfortunately not made by them anymore.
I might have to peruse that one again and make a project out of it. The old guy really hunted this one, it has warrior scars on the stock and the bluing is not great. His wife brought it in on consignment.

page down to the bottom for Howa information

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Just looked it up on line. Howa did make the Japanese MkV, you were right.

The Jap MkV's are as good as the German or US from what I've read.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

MM

True.

DF

Howa makes the Vanguard.

DF

They were made by Howa and unfortunately not made by them anymore.
I might have to peruse that one again and make a project out of it. The old guy really hunted this one, it has warrior scars on the stock and the bluing is not great. His wife brought it in on consignment.

page down to the bottom for Howa information

Condition will determine the price.

If it's showing a lot of wear, I'd check out the latest Blue Book. Mine is at home, I'm at the office.

DF

Edited to add, if it shows wear, high speed rounds like the .240 can be hard on the bore. I have a Hawkeye and would check the bore if I was looking to buy that gun.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 12/07/16.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
37th Blue Book, the Mark V Deluxe has to be down in the 70% range to drop to $800. 70% is pretty low condition, showing a lot of wear.

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

DF

Extreme high quality actually.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

Some think they're the best of the three countries of mfg.

I've never compared them, mine is USA.

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

DF

Some think they're the best of the three countries of mfg.

I've never compared them, mine is USA.

DF

I have owned just Jap and US models. No flies on any of them

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Whoopes, think we hijacked pdcrig's thread.

Sorry about that, just got carried away talking Wby. trash with elk... blush

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yeah, I heard that.......part of old George's family I think.

George was a fine fellow; used to see him at a lot of the shows........he would bring me a bunch of mounts, hand them to me & tell me he'd send an invoice when he got back to the shop.

Their mounts are great, just takes a little learning & a few tricks to make it easier & quicker to get them mounted.

MM

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I remember talking to him, nice guy and very helpful.

IIRC, his wife worked in the office, answered the phone.

DF

P
pdcrig Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I'd rather have a Buehler mount than a Redfield/Leupold turn-in style.

Is your mount the standard style with the two windage screws on the back or is it a micro-dial style that has both windage and elevation built into the rear?

Micro-dials are a little tricky the first time you use them, but the standard style bases aren't any more difficult to install or use than any other common mount.

It is the standard style. This is all very encouraging news. Both sets of rings I acquired have the shims still in them if I'm not mistaken. I'd have to look. I think I'll stick with the Buehler since it sounds like correct setup is the key. I just with I didn't have to modify my bolt handle even with the code 8 high rings.

Last edited by pdcrig; 12/07/16.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Go back to Shotgunner's post. He is dead on. One thing you can consider for the best stability is to bed the bases on the receiver. If done the right way, in the right order, so to speak, you will end up with the scope, rings, and mounts perfectly aligned with no stress at any connection. The bedding "shim" remains permanently connected to the bases not the receiver. I always do this with military mausers that have had the ears ground down or otherwise have slightly irregular ring surfaces/aligment.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Buehlers are the best

Last edited by hanco; 12/09/16.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
432 members (300jimmy, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 38 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,932
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.