Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've been trolling for a M700 Mountain KS in 270. I came across the following on Gunbroker, but there's something that doesn't look right about that stock.

I haven't called Remington with the serial number yet, but in an attempt to boost my post count, I thought I'd post-up.

KS

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Textured rattlecan paint job. Blek...

Is the plain matte bolt body right?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Might be a genuine KS stock under that paint job but that schit ain't factory.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I would like an up close of the barrel contour next to the reciever to see the markings to tell. I have had 1/2 dozen of them

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Textured rattlecan paint job. Blek...

Is the plain matte bolt body right?

That texture is what got me, it looks bad to say the least.

I think some of the newer KS rifles had a matte bolt.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
In the opinion of the in-house gunsmith, it is, in his opinion, fully functional.... Weird disclaimer talk stuff... Uber rings. Curious what folks think.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
KS stock hiding under someone's idea of an upgrade.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ask what is written on the barrel.. The KS has only the chambering on the barrel, no brand name, nothing but the chambering stamped near the reciever.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
yea, the lack of any clear pictures of the barrel stamps are a big red flag.

there will be proof marks in addition to the cal. designation.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Painted 1st Gen Ti stock

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I would like an up close of the barrel contour next to the reciever to see the markings to tell. I have had 1/2 dozen of them

That - I've looked at the ad and it could be a KS, but the finish isn't right on the action. Its an early version since its a "B" prefix action and the really early KS's seemed to be kind of a shiny almost blued finish. Then later on they had a matte finish. And like Oldelk said got to see the left side of the barrel for the marking - they should look something like this if a true KS.

[Linked Image]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GeoW
Ask what is written on the barrel.. The KS has only the chambering on the barrel, no brand name, nothing but the chambering stamped near the reciever.

I've owned a couple, but I did own one in a 300 Win Mag from the mid-80's that had "Custom Shop" or "Remington Custom Shop" stamped on top of the barrel near the receiver.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Painted 1st Gen Ti stock

That's not a Ti. The pad is smoother and rounded edges. The Ti pads were not rounded.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It's a ks stock under the paint. This vintage should be a brown.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Call the custom shop with the serial number. They will tell when it was made and which gun smith made it. They even told me what ammo was used in it when one of mine was tested. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Call the custom shop with the serial number. They will tell when it was made and which gun smith made it. They even told me what ammo was used in it when one of mine was tested. Hasbeen

I'm avoiding this one.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
It's a ks stock under the paint. This vintage should be a brown.

I've got a question about that. What was the original color of those stocks? I've got one that was made in 1986 with a Brown Precision Kevlar stock that has a green/olive color to it.

I recently contacted Brown Precision about having the stock repainted to the original color; long story short, the original color is no longer available and Mark told me the closest match would be their Gray Ghost. Were the original stocks gray? I've owned three in the past, one with a Brown Precision stock and the other two wore McMillan's. All of them were green in color.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Kind of a gray-brown. Less green then the later McMillans.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is mine before I had it repainted - this was right after I had Karl Feldkamp flute the bolt. The lighting isn't great and makes it look a little darker than it was. Its similar to the Kimber grey but not as matte maybe more shine as I recall. This is a Brown Precision stock.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 12/06/16.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 66 invisible), 2,891 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,706
Posts18,456,843
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.