-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We just had the attempted massacre at Ohio State. Here's the latest on an attempted bombing in Portland, OR a few years back.

Appeals court affirms conviction in Oregon car-bomb plot
By STEVEN DUBOIS Associated Press Updated 15 min ago 0
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — A federal appeals court Monday upheld the conviction of Mohamed Mohamud, the Somali American sentenced to 30 years in prison for plotting to bomb downtown Portland during the annual lighting of a Christmas tree.

Mohamud pressed a cellphone button in November 2010, believing it would set off explosives in a van. The bomb, however, was a fake provided by FBI agents posing as terrorists.

Mohamud's attorneys claimed the teenager was victim of entrapment, that he had neither the means nor the intent to commit domestic terrorism until he was persuaded in that direction by undercover agents.

Prosecutors said at Mohamud's trial that the college student was on the path to radicalization, and it was only the FBI's intervention that prevented him from committing terrorism in the U.S. or abroad.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals acknowledged in its 50-page opinion that the government's conduct was quite aggressive at times, but the court said the sting operation fell short of a violation of the right to due process.

Judge John B. Owens, who wrote the opinion, pointed out that Mohamud picked the target — Pioneer Courthouse Square — and planned where the van would be parked. "Despite being provided numerous opportunities to deviate from or terminate the plan, Mohamud never displayed any reluctance in going through with a horrific attack that would have killed and maimed countless people, including young children," Owens wrote.

In the same opinion, the court also rejected an assertion that the warrantless surveillance of Mohamud's foreign communications violated his constitutional rights.

The surveillance was authorized by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court. The law that created the secretive court allows warrantless physical and electronic surveillance of suspected terrorists.

Mohamud's attorney challenged the trial judge's decision not to suppress, based on tardy disclosure, information collected through the act. The Appeals Court found that Mohamud could not demonstrate prejudice, and the late disclosure was not because of prosecutorial misconduct.

The panel noted there were likely several errors regarding what evidence was allowed at trial, but determined they were "cumulatively harmless."

Federal public defender Lisa Hay expressed disappointment with the opinion and said she expects to continue fighting on Mohamud's behalf. "The 9th Circuit recognized that Mr. Mohamud presented a solid case for entrapment at trial. Those were their words," Hay said.

Mohamud arrived in the United States at 3 years old. Owens wrote that Mohamud was like any other American teenager, but something changed after believing he was racially profiled by security at a London airport in December 2008. He's serving his sentence at a California prison.

"Many young people think and say alarming things that they later disavow, and we will never know if Mohamud, a young man with promise, would have carried out a mass attack absent the FBI's involvement," Owens wrote. "But some 'promising' young people — Charles Whitman, Timothy McVeigh, and James Holmes, to name a few from a tragically long list — take the next step, leading to horrific consequences."

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Send the MF's back

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
Send the MF's back

Bullet's cheaper than a ticket.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Send the MF's back

In a body bag.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
stx could use some bait!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Don't send him back
Jail is more certain.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Make them swim back.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Here they are referred to as 'skinnies' and I have no problem with the whole lot of them being dumped into the nearest large body of salt water. Also, the filth that let them in could do with a serious kicking.

Little more than animals by the way they act.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I could never be a public defender. How could anyone in good conscious defend this coward scumbag?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Send the MF's back
Every one of them.

PS The rush to bring in as many Somalis as possible to the US started under Dubya, by the way. It's the same people behind the establishments of both parties controlling our nation's policies. Which is why both party's establishments fought so hard to stop Trump.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Make them swim back.

I would have zero problems with that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Send the MF's back

Bullet's cheaper than a ticket.

Not cost effective. Axe to back of the neck.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I would load them all on an old cruise ship and send them home to stay. Tell the captain when his cargo is delivered to the various ports he can return home for another load. Make sure they all know that if the ship is off course or off schedule without authorization, it will be torpedoed repeatly until sunk. No rescue attempt will happen.

Problem solved.

Cast

I have a short attention spa
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If a three year old can't assimilate into American culture and embrace American traditions and values, I think we're safe ruling out the rest.

DO NOT ALLOW IN!

LOL
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What's Ironic is how much the Potland crowd love these Muslims... just like any good Leftist DemocRAT would...

because they hate their country....

give them a certain date to be all gone....

if they are still here after that date, its open varmint season on them...

They sure have screwed up Minnesota... yet look at how the Governor, Mark Dayton, can't kiss their asses enough....

Guys like him should be deported back to Somalia with them... and it will be entertaining to see how long they last in the Somalis world....

and any dislike the American public had for them, let them get a load of how much the Somalis hate Americans...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Seafire
What's Ironic is how much the Potland crowd love these Muslims... just like any good Leftist DemocRAT would...

because they hate their country....

give them a certain date to be all gone....

if they are still here after that date, its open varmint season on them...

They sure have screwed up Minnesota... yet look at how the Governor, Mark Dayton, can't kiss their asses enough....

Guys like him should be deported back to Somalia with them... and it will be entertaining to see how long they last in the Somalis world....

and any dislike the American public had for them, let them get a load of how much the Somalis hate Americans...

I'm all in with this John!

LOL
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Fireball2
If a three year old can't assimilate into American culture and embrace American traditions and values, I think we're safe ruling out the rest.

DO NOT ALLOW IN!

It is exactly the same as the courts...'til every bastard that makes these decisions to let them in are held accountable for the consequences nothing will change.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

...the older I get the more I like the guillotine.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JSTUART

...the older I get the more I like the guillotine.

especially on penises and genitals...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 58 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,257
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.