Not into ground blinds....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I buy two or three a year because poles bust often. I set mine up in August and take them down in February. I also pour corn all around the blind for a week or three after I set them up. I mean within inches of the blind.

For the 12 acres I have, they work great. They help with scent and are great about hiding movement.

“Lighten up Francis”
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I use 2 types when hunting with my wife

Portable

[Linked Image]

Permanent

This is Lil'shiny

[Linked Image]

This is the 2 story "Condo"

[Linked Image]

My wife always runs a heater when it's cold

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The permanent ones will spoil you

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I use them, more of a have to, than want too, I brush mine in good. they work but do limit, your view. Snow is the biggest thing I have to worrie about, buy a good one, the cheap one suck! I take mine down soon as the seasons over, let them dry good before packing them up!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
A sleeping bag works wonders in the ground blind. Pull it up to just under the armpits and you're golden. Throw a few chemical heat packs in if you're really cold!

I have an old German army sleeping bag that has arms on it. Works well on really cold days.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by roundoak

A blind is invaluable when hunting with our youth. Fidget factor. grin

You got that right!!!

Camp is where you make it.
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by roundoak

A blind is invaluable when hunting with our youth. Fidget factor. grin

You got that right!!!

Yep - my kids (and I) LOVE to read, and so the idea of being able to hunt deer, stay warm, AND read is highly appealing to them. They don't get bored and can stay on stand for hours!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
A sleeping bag works wonders in the ground blind. Pull it up to just under the armpits and you're golden. Throw a few chemical heat packs in if you're really cold!

I have an old German army sleeping bag that has arms on it. Works well on really cold days.

Had one of the German bags as well, loved that bag for cold sits in the high blind. It finally gave out after years of use.

I use a ground blind for turkey, haven't used one for deer. The turkey notice it, but don't seem bothered by it, unless I move or add to their warning signs.

I've used the Ameri-steps, but I look at my ground blinds as a disposable investment. Our area sees winds, theft, and weather wear that makes any one over two season old - a veteran. I'd invest in a Double Bull level blind if I had the land to use it here, I think the quality and the durability on them is good. Friends with semi-permanent set-ups have had good luck with them.

I've brushed some, and left most alone. Haven't seen a reason to swear by one or the other. If birds are in the area, and traveling by, they seem to continue without much impact either way.

Last edited by AH64guy; 12/05/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Though I got it for the kids to use, a Caldwell Fieldpod is a pretty darn handy thing to have in one as well. It keeps the gun at the shooting height, which cuts down on movement. IME, the deer see them but pay them little attention of you aren't moving.

selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just picked up a Primos Club XL. I use either a monopod or bipod for shooting my Encore pistol, depending on circumstances. Both have worked well and the girls practice shooting with both options plus all other field positions.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I'm in an area that I think my blind might be stolen, I use a dog Runner cable Through the Windows hand around the largest tree nearby. It is 8 inch cable weatherized ans a padlock. never had one walk away that way.
I use ameristep doghouse blind, ameristep spur blind which are also the memory hoops but much more portable, but what I would like to have is called a ghost blind. (Mirrored. Use it anywhere, even open ground.)
edit to add link.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Ghos...xunX9BANs08AaAgyu8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by kellory; 12/06/16.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never used a commercial blind, but have built a few from branches and such as well as camo burlap. I have used a tree umbrella a few times, which makes it possible to weather a pretty good rain, as long as it's not blowing hard.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ameristep? I use one of those with a climber if needed. And once in a while at the base of a tree, with the spur blind and seat. I like 'em.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
767 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 76 invisible), 2,968 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.