Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
There's a book out there, written a long time ago, on this topic. "The Still-Hunter" by T.S. Van Dyke. It's very repetitive, and covers all the basics of wind, walking speed, observation, and deer behavior. If you're a still hunter already, you'll enjoy the book because reading it is somewhat like the hunting itself - detailed, rewarding, yet requires patience and constant focus and visualization. If you don't like the book, that'll be a good sign that you should find a tree stand, strap into it, and wait.

Good binoculars are always better than bad ones, but most glassing will be at short range, so a 6-8x of something decent will work. I've used Pentax DCF WP's at 8x for almost 20 years. You're not judging trophies, you're looking for pieces of deer, 99% of the time.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's the one I was referring to earlier. Actually picked it up here in the classifieds. No mention of making sure that your truck has the proper window sticker that says what brand camo you wear or preferred energy drink.

Agree 100% finding pieces. Sometimes you get blown away wondering how in the hell it got so close. Or how you got so close.

That's life hunting pockets in the east I reckon.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH

The "experts" would tell you it's impossible to approach a big mature whitetail buck by walking him up, or still hunting . That's just BS.

And two still hunting together and staying about 50yards or so apart can fool more than a few. The experts probably think two would make make too much noise to even have a remote chance.

A little noise can be your friend if you are trying to tag team them.

Last edited by battue; 12/05/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue

The "experts" would tell you it's impossible to approach a big mature whitetail buck by walking him up, or still hunting . That's just BS.

And two still hunting together and staying about 50yards or so apart can fool more than a few. The experts probably think two would make make too much noise to even have a remote chance.

Are you talking one in front of the other person or left or right of each other?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
To the sides of each other. Obviously out in front would be nuts.

Sure you know Deer don't usually go off far. Usually just enough to think they are safe. Then they often stop and watch back or loop around. The person on the side often then gets the opportunity.

Biggest Bucks I've encountered have been when I was hunting with Bird Dogs. The Dogs would push them out, but they often would move off to the side to watch them pass. Intent on the initial contact with the Dog and ignoring me. Wish I could hunt with a Dog that just slowly wonders around, side to side, about 20-30yards out front. wink

Last edited by battue; 12/05/16.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmm...

I thought that everyone sat on top of a big ridge with a spotting scope and binos, then picked the biggest one after calculating what he scored, then set up a big long dramatic shot with a custom rifle and handloads, then ranged and dial and had their buddies get the camera rolling while sucking down monster energy drinks that they got out of a Yeti.

That's what they do on TV, no?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, and they have to name him something before they shoot. Then there's the shoot-gasm and high fives 'cause he's DRT and you couldn't have done it if weren't for product X, yadda, yadda....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Sure you know Deer don't usually go off far. Usually just enough to think they are safe. Then they often stop and watch back or loop around. The person on the side often then gets the opportunity.

Biggest Bucks I've encountered have been when I was hunting with Bird Dogs. The Dogs would push them out, but they often would move off to the side to watch them pass. Intent on the initial contact with the Dog and ignoring me. Wish I could hunt with a Dog that just slowly wonders around, side to side, about 20-30yards out front. wink

Agreed, works nicely.
I've also seen deer play peek-a-boo around trees, while a pusher slowly walks through on a drive. The pusher never saw the deer, nor the deer see me. (Bang-flop.)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
When we used to drive them, if we had enough shooters, would have one stay-as in stay in one place off to the side-behind the drive. Sometimes caught them looping back around after the drive went thru.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Maybe not if the distance was more than 50 yards. In addition, there are times when we apply the tactic in deer drives.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 16bore
Hmm...

I thought that everyone sat on top of a big ridge with a spotting scope and binos, then picked the biggest one after calculating what he scored, then set up a big long dramatic shot with a custom rifle and handloads, then ranged and dial and had their buddies get the camera rolling while sucking down monster energy drinks that they got out of a Yeti.

That's what they do on TV, no?

Happens in some country. Hunt long enough you'll kill them all kinds of ways.

But my biggest(both mule deer and whitetail) have been "holy shidt" encounters with not much time to do anything other than half-assed size them up and shoot.....especially the mule deer which are supposed to be dumb and stand around in the open while you snipe them.

But IME the big ones don't do that. Friends and I have killed very few really big mule deer at long range.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes, you could get out far enough.

Only thing is, when trying to tag team or drive them i prefer to know pretty much where everyone is and orange is your friend. smile

Although we killed piles when we used to have big drives-18 in two weeks was a high mark-it eventually became uncomfortable. Then some started to use walkie phones to let others know a Deer was on the move and I said no more for the big drives.

Addition: Then you had those who would shoot a Buck and then couldn't for some reason hunt. Make that drive the next day. Funny that they could if that hadn't tagged 😂

Last edited by battue; 12/06/16.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Sometimes I think that some folks are taking it all a little to seriously, defining success by the kill rather than the hunt.

This is too politically correct for me. I play with my guns all year long so I can go hunting to kill something.

If you go hunting, what is the objective of the hunt? Let me help you. To kill something. Other wise you would call it hiking or walking or something else. If you just want to go to the woods you can do that all year long. Instead of a firearm you might carry a camera or nothing. You could go to your stand and take a nap.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's exactly how my son got his bear this year.
We were about 50-60 yards apart, working a steep, laurel choked, side hill. He was above me and shot it at 10 yards!

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Had a roast last night and it was delicious!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
We all get the objective. You saying you can't enjoy a good hunt if you don't kill something?
Saying you can't enjoy it if a Buck wins the game today?

One of my most memorable trips was when a friend had a Maine Moose tag and called a Bull in and shot it while I stood alongside with the binos. Exciting and worth the drive and time spent.

But we have been thru this before with you and don't expect any surprises.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Sometimes I think that some folks are taking it all a little to seriously, defining success by the kill rather than the hunt.

This is too politically correct for me. I play with my guns all year long so I can go hunting to kill something.

If you go hunting, what is the objective of the hunt? Let me help you. To kill something. Other wise you would call it hiking or walking or something else. If you just want to go to the woods you can do that all year long. Instead of a firearm you might carry a camera or nothing. You could go to your stand and take a nap.

Let me help you.
Is killing a deer thats eating out of a bird feeder in your back yard "hunting"? I mean, you could easily use one of the guns you fiddle-phuqqed with all year long to do it. And it'd be "killing something"

Maybe a DRT bang flop all day long if you did your part.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kevin, congrats to your son on that bear. If you posted this up previously I missed it. What did he shoot it with?

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I still hunt when I can. It's best suited for larger tracts of land and certain weather conditions. A little moisture helps, light rain or snow. One hates to be creeping along on corn flake leaves. Even on small pieces of property I have filled tags on my feet just as often as sitting on my arse. A slow pace while paying attention to the terrain is all that is needed. You learn as you go on what to do and what not to do. Keep in mind the basics such as wind direction, terrain and cover and you'll get it.

M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Kevin,

Nice bear and congrats to your son.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,247
Posts18,466,921
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.