Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ten years ago I sometimes shipped items before I received funds but I can't do that now because at least half of the buyers change their mind.

I used to have 99% of campfire deals go through without a problem. Why have things changed? Is it the economy or just the culture.

Also, I have had some of the same guys want pics on several of my different ads but they never even reply afterwards. Is there a lot of window lickers collecting pics on here now. I don't mind sending pics to someone who's really interested but it's a pain to send them to those who aren't. I don't ask for pics until I'm ready to take it and just want last minute confirmation on condition. My favorites are the ones who want pics of a NIB item.

I'm trying to understand what's going on.

Bb

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only had one flake-out that I can remember, but it was recently. Guy removed himself from the PM thread when payment had supposedly been sent. When I started another PM to ask him if he wanted the item, he never answered. His post history revealed that he was basically a "Classifieds Cowboy". Not a big deal, but dang, if you don't want something, just say so......

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't ask for pics until I'm ready to take it and just want last minute confirmation on condition.

outstanding post

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I don't know if the percentage is higher, but there are more people coming to the Campfire Classifieds. Apparently the Campfire the reputation of being a good place for buying/selling, but there are a bunch of other sites too, and many people are hitting several--and aren't always communicating when they found what they wanted somewhere else.

Then, of course, there's "I'll take it!" regret, especially after the whiskey wears off. :-)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't understand why it's so hard to send pics. Maybe try an iPhone or something.

Or maybe post pics to begin with.

Dunno....

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I've had good dealings. Hope it stays that way! Good bunch of folks

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I need to figure out what add blocker and browser I need to be using. I often can't cut and paste on the fire because of bugs or ads or whatever. Makes pasting a link to photobucket a pain sometimes. Admittedly, some of my frustration is with problems I'm having with this website and the simple things can now be more difficult.

And then I get 3-4 guys wanting pics of a NIB rifle and I have problems getting a pm open and then I can't cut and paste the number or email to send it to. I go to find a piece of paper and pen and my campfire page is now redirected to the App Store trying to sell me candy crush saga or something. 3 to four more tries and I'm back to that message. This post was erased twice while I was typing it. Can't copy it part way through because my select function doesn't work on the campfire.

If a guy doesn't really want an item or can't afford just give someone a break and don't ask for pics. If you just want to see what a kimber Montana looks like go to their website. Or is it just some guys passive aggressive way of saying all ads should have pics? They don't want the item but get a kick out of making you jump through hoops? I really don't know why so many want pics of NIB items. I think Mule Deers reference to alcohol has actually helped me understand some things here better. I don't drink so I had not considered that. Maybe I need to start.

My iPhone doesn't always make things so easy on the campfire. I try to give guys here a shot at things first but it's much easier to post pics on gunbroker.

Bb

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I've sold a little here, but really, I'm more of a buyer(read collector of stuff). I've never had an issue or a deal fall through, or go bad.

First thing I ever bought here were 2 scopes from Dober and he mailed them out the same day I said I'd take them, which has caused me to do the same at times since.

Anything I sell here always comes with a money back guarantee, if you don't like it for any reason, just send it back and I'll refund your money.

Anything I've bought here has been exactly as described I've never been disappointed.

Mostly all good and honest people here, and if the day ever comes that I do get burned, I'll eat it, and it won't change the fact that there are mostly all good and honest people here as far as I'm concerned.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Vince M should be the expert here to confirm the %

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been very fortunate, I have never been burned here and only once although very slightly on Gunbroker.

Since there is no rating system in place here, I keep a small notebook that tracks all of my transactions here. It includes the other guy's username, if they were the buyer or seller and a plus or minus mark which serves to rate the transaction. As I stated above, it's full of plus (+) marks.

I will say this, there are a few guys on here that I've done business with in the past that I would ship to prior to receiving payment. You can get a pretty good feel for a guy buy following his posts.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by StudDuck
You can get a pretty good feel for a guy buy following his posts.

This is very true, and I also have found that by following posts, there are certain people here I simply wouldn't buy from.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
For years I had great luck here as well and I've always felt like as a group the people here are the best on the net. Recently I've had a run of deals that all fell through. One rifle has been sold 3 times and all three times they've backed out. I also had to sell a scope 3 times recently before it actually went. It didn't used to be like this. I'll take it used to always mean you had a deal unless something extreme happened and then they'd at least let you know.

I understand that sometimes stuff happens and some guys will message me and apologize and say why they can't take it. Others just leave me hanging for weeks and then go silent. Two or three of those in a row can stretch out over 2 months and be pretty frustrating.

Bb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never been burned here and hope my luck continues. There are definitely more deals falling through now than when I first joined and that may have to be due to the culture now.
Most of the guys I have sold to and bought from are repeats and by reading most of the posts, I get a feeling for who is good and who isn't. I firmly believe pictures are the key to a good sale and they save some misunderstandings later on.
I did pass on a few deals with a guy that had a yellow vehicle with a winch on the roll-bar! grin

Ken

Last edited by kennymauser; 12/06/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had 99.9% success here. I've bought and sold items from $50 to $2000 and never had a hiccup, sans a buyer who contacted me 4 months after a sale, I sent him his money,,he returned my item and we lived happily ever after.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have been a member here for several years and have 6K posts many of which are classified transactions, I have only had a handful of deals that have not gone smoothly. I.E. buyers remorse,changed their mind,never responded etc., if you a re going to buy and sell you kinda have to expect these things. 50% transaction problems seems awfully high, as time has gone by more people have discovered the 'Fire classifieds these folks may not be the caliber of the older 'Fire members, don't know. I sell on a couple of other sites but far less than here and have not had any prolbems there yet but the volume is far less.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Burleyboy: To date I have bought dozens of items from folks on this board, folks who have listed items in the classified and several items folks who follow me have solicited of me directly.
I have as yet to have a problem.
I have as yet though to offer up anything on here for sale.
I tend to trust the folks who have been here for "years" and have had great luck with buying from them.
I simply can't imagine "half of the buyers changing their minds" - once they have spoken up for an item?
And I watch the "classifieds" here-on pretty carefully!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try tha Adblock plus. I got the same crap and it took care of it. This site sucks for it, even as hard as they work to get rid of the stuff.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
So if you get an I'll take it from someone you go look through their posts and then decide whether you'll sell to them or not? I've been giving everyone who says they'll take it a shot at it. One thing I'm going to quit doing is waiting 3 weeks for payment when they aren't communicating.

I find it easier for me to be selective about who I buy from because I can just not post an I'll take it. It gets a little more difficult to screen buyers. I don't know what would happen if someone posted an I'll take and I said no you won't, I don't like your truck, next please. I'd probably get convicted of a hate crime...

I've just had a run of flakes lately and I'm a bit frustrated. Having a massive psoriatic arthritis flare today and I can't walk and I'm taking out my pain and frustration on the campfire. Seems like people on the campfire always gave me a bit of faith in a world otherwise filled with deal breakers. I hate to see it go the way of the world. If you're going to break a deal at least be man enough to let the other guy know in a timely manor.

Bb

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
It's good to know most things are running as well as they used to. I've had a run of deals falling through lately and wondered if anyone else had the same. Glad to see that my recent experience isn't a trend but I think I'm finally going to start a list and keep track of these recent guys. One of them backed out of a Deal last year and just did it again. Shame on me for giving him a second chance. He's going on the top.

Bb

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
All transactions that I have had have gone well.

Last edited by Tip926; 12/06/16.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

606 members (01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 59 invisible), 1,991 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,246
Posts18,448,040
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.