Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Several thousand rounds and still stacking them on top of each other. Maybe a tiny bit of a twangy sound starting? Maybe my imagination? Hard too say it's difficult to remember the exact feeling from the beginning.

Best feature of the many I enjoy with this rifle, the ability to pick it up cold, and shoot a bullseye every time. This is the first springer for me that does not need at least a couple shots to settle down and shoot perfectly. All the others seem to need to properly lube the cylinder, or warm up the piston seals or what.... I have no idea!

I can pull it from the case, cock, load, and head shoot a rabbit in the garden at 40-50 yards every time on the first shot. My HW97, Pro Elite, and RX2 all needed at least a few shots before they would really shoot perfectly accurate.

If there is a better full power underlever in .22 I've never experienced it.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
JJ, which Vortex scope did you settle on for this rifle?

Glad you're enjoying a top tier rifle!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Diamond back 4-16 with the side adjust objective.
With the BDC reticle. It's superb, the only thing just slightly off is the focus is not crystal clear at 25 yards when at 16 power.

Fine at 10 power which is plenty at 25 yards. The side focus is astonishingly accurate for range. Out to 75 yards it's just about perfect when checked with my Leica range finder

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The TX200 is a very nice rifle indeed and is very highly thought of over here...

At one stage I was looking for a used TX200SR but they were going for silly money..

I eventually went with a "tuned" HW97 with a synthetic thumbhole stock and so far I am very pleased with it.

If I was a bit more serious, I might get it gas rammed, but the reality is that it woks fine as it is...

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Pete, how long has it been since you hunted in Africa with me? Wow that seems forever ago now! We are getting old!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

JJ, I'm an air rifle neophyte though did grow up pounding rabbits and black birds with a Sheridan 20 cal.

What led you to the TX 200 and do you really have to spend north of a .5k for a good pellet gun? It also looks quite heavy.

Hi Pete and Merry Christmas.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The sheridan clearly formed my shooting and stalking skills as a kid.

I doubt you need to spend 500 on an air rifle. Its what you want not what you need!

I cannot speak about the lesser cost box store air rifles. I do know this rifle is as good as I hoped for in addition to being a lovely work of art! It can be lower cost with a beach stock and a less expensive scope. Im not a gun collector i only own what I use. So my few guns are used a lot.

Ive shot this rifle more then about any gun in my life already. Its easy to shoot 500 pellets in a hurry. No recoil no sound just deadly accurate and enough power to be entertaining. It can be shot anyplace without annoying anyone.

The weight makes the rifle shoot much better then a light weight gun. These spring powered rifles can be temperamental if they are too light weight. I use primos shooting sticks called trigger sticks. Sitting or standing height. Perfect for the weight of the rifle. Also added a sling to pack around.

I hunt almost 100% from a blind or a hidden location. Not much spot and stalk for now. Also from the back porch to the garden killing the rabbits.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I owned a couple rifles before this one. I prefered a ridged barrel not a break barrel. Just my desire.

Also wanted a rifle I could self service without a high preload in the spring. The TX guts can be pulled out very easy without any special tools. Its considered one of the most easy to work on rifles made.

One service on this rifle is over 100 bucks that saves a lot of money over the years. I can replace the spring and seals for a few bucks myself. Some folks consider the vortec spring and seal kit a huge upgrade too, can't say yet still on the factory unit

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My use would probably be relegated to bunnies off the deck also including blackbirds and starlings.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I live on a farm, my abolity to shoot anything is easy enough. This air rifle is the go to for cost recoil and sound

I put up a spinner target at 50 yards. Its made from a tea spoon twisted and a hole through the handle that thing really spins with a solid hit

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Even though I live in a rural development with each lot being an acre I do shoot some around the house. For years I've shot BB caps out of my Anschutz 22c. I think they are about 800 fps for a 17 or 18-gr 22 cal ball which is "pellet gun ballistics".

But the darn BB caps, because there's so little bearing surface often pop right out of the case.

Plus, going back to my youth, I've always been nostalgic for air rifles. I want quality but wonder if it's obtainable at less cost.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah probably used

Doubful you will find a tx200 used but an HW97 in .20 or .22 is possible.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 257Bob, 57 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,638
Posts18,455,306
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.