Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Anyone have an update on the duck numbers in eastern Arkansas? They should be pouring in with the cold weather pushing down.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Report I read from AR and TN, they are there and more on the way. Just hope they will still be around Reelfoot late Jan.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
A good friend of mine hunts Reelfoot every year and he loves it out there. I'm glad to hear that the ducks have moved down. This is the complete opposite situation from what we had last year. Great news!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck on your Arkansas hunt Wilkeshunter; we are heading to Maryland tomorrow for several days of goose hunting on the eastern shore.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Hey Odessa,

Good luck to yo as well. Going after Canadians Snows, or both? I hope you have a blast!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Canada's (Snows too if we can pull them in) and ducks in the late afternoon. Thanks.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Give us an up day when you get a chance.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a nice time in Maryland this past week, field hunted for Canada's three days - no time for ducks. My party never pulled the trigger on Monday, even though the migration had pulled a lot of new birds in by last Saturday. Two other parties limited on Monday and I did limit out on Tuesday and Wednesday. Good time was had by all.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't live where there are a lot of ducks, but I am not far as the crow flies. It started raining light, late yesterday and rained all night. I have not checked my gauge, and it never rained all that hard, but it will put some water for the duck hunters. We had a very dry Sept. and Oct. and not very much in Nov. It should improve duck hunting. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Congrats Odessa!!

I cant tell, over old school flat silhouette decoys??

.....if so, way to go!!

Are you shooting a new A-5??

Last edited by WillARights; 12/25/16.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
That sure looks like a new a Auto 5. If so, how do you like hunting with it?

Congratulations on the fun and successful hunt! Lots of work putting out all those dekes. I have always heard that Maryland can be a blast for waterfowl.

We head to Arkansas on January 4th. Conditions out there look pretty good at this point. Got out fingers crossed!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks gents, we had a fine time as a new migration wave arrived about two days before we did. Those are indeed old school flat decoys, about 200 per pit blind to put out in the cold morning! That is an old Browning Magnum Twelve (Japanese) that I have owned for five or six years, my primary waterfowl shotgun - made in 1992 I think. Odessa
Ps Good luck in Arkansas, lets see some pictures.

Archibald Rutledge

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Good stuff, Odessa. Love the silohouettes.

Ive him and hawed about selling my Japanese A-5 Magnum. Just so darn heavy. And that wasfrom when i was much fitter.

Probably anchor me in place now. LOL.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The old Auto 5 Magnum Twelve wouldn't be my choice for long wading or hunting while standing in water, but for a blind or boat it is just fine.

Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have about 40 mixed duck decoys, 40 goose bedded shells, (decoys) a 14' boat, and a Browning model 5 (the light twelve)
But it is for 2&3/4" shells only
I've never tried duck hunting yet, but intend to, eventually.
Besides a blind (which is partially built now) what else is needed?

(Figured I would ask those who obviously excel at it.)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You need a duck call, chest waders, and a steel-shot compatible shotgun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kellory, besides what DakotaDeer told you, join DU and go to their website - lot's of info on how to set out your decoys, etc. Finding a buddy who has done some waterfowl hunting is very helpful; another idea is take a guided hunt for waterfowl in your area and observe what your guide does and ask him a lot of questions.

Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wilkeshunter - how was your Arkansas waterfowl trip last month - any photo's?

Archibald Rutledge

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Hey Odessa,

We had a great hunt! It was our toughest hunt to date due to the cold weather. We broke a lot of ice and had to help the boat get through the ice as well. We shot a lot of green heads this year, and not quite as many woodies as usual. There was a LOT of waterfowl out there this year! I have some good pictures but I haven't yet learned how to post them. I will try to get this done soon, just give me some time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great to hear you had a productive trip - love Arkansas as I've always seen more ducks there than anywhere else I've been. Greenheads are good! Odessa

Archibald Rutledge

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

731 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 76 invisible), 3,284 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,331
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.