Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
kelbro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Been away from the knife forums for a while. Thinking of selling my unused stag handled Randall Trout and Bird (#8 I think?).

What's the market on these now? Is there still a tremendous wait? Seems like it was over a year when I bought this one over ten years ago. Is eBay the best avenue?

Last edited by kelbro; 12/06/16.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I believe Randall is asking $370 for one, and the usual wait. AG Russell says little or no wait, $495.

Sam......

K
kelbro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
5 year wait as of now.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of good folks consigning Randall's...Plaza Cutlery, Captain Chris Stanaback, Arizona Custom Knives...and ETC...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just sold a Model 5 6" Camp and Trail for $485.00. It should be worth about the same as the one you have.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Are they worth the $$?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by troutfisher13111
Are they worth the $$?

It was worth it for me to own one. Ordered in the beginning of 2011 and did the 5 year wait. Came out beautifully. There are many great makers out there, several of which are here on 24HCF. But Randalls are iconic in my opinion, only after owning one can you say whether they are worth it to you or not. As always YMMV.

[Linked Image]

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by troutfisher13111
Are they worth the $$?

Randalls are generally well made, with good components, and good leather with them.

You're getting a knife that can be used, and passed on to the next generation. That said, they are expensive for what they are.

Some of the designs are pretty dated, IMHO, and a number of the knives are really oversized for actual use and carry. Retail prices are well-over what the materials cost, and there's other makers that can offer the same quality for less. A Randall is iconic to some, and that will continue to keep the market prices higher than reality. The wait is a plus for them, very few people will order that for out for anything. So, instant gratification equals higher prices.

I have a Model 5 that is a user, carried every hunting season, and has taken care of two elk and several deer. It's a 6-inch blade, leather handle with finger grooves, and a waxed sheath. The edge holds well. But it's a softer steel that sharpens fairly easily. I've dinged the edge bad on a rock, Randall re-ground the blade for me and fixed it right.

I think it's a good knife but I wouldn't have paid full retail, or waited five years for it. From what I know, the dealer wait is closer to 6-9 months. If you order through one of the Randall retailers, you'll see the knife within a year. If you order as an individual, you'll get the full wait.

I know my Randall knives will out last me, and that makes the investment more tolerable. YMMV

Last edited by AH64guy; 12/17/16.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You are paying for the name. If it's worth it to you, it is a quality knife. It's just not better than something I can either make or buy for a lot less.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Paid $185 for my most recent one. Guess I will be keeping it.

Eddie

Eagle Lake, Mississippi is close to heaven.

"Everything Hipsters touch turns to chit........Period..
Whisky.....Beer.....Tobacco.....Boots....Clothing....Gear......you name it..
Good thing the fuggers don't like firearms.." Fieldgrade

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
You are paying for the name. If it's worth it to you, it is a quality knife. It's just not better than something I can either make or buy for a lot less.

Exactly, I own many many customs, but only the one Randall.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So how does a "name" become desirable?

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Performance (at the time), history of being carried through numerous conflicts, etc etc etc...

Many more quality makers than there were when Randall earned their rep...IMO. Much like Ruana...not taking anything away from them either.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I have a few and I am pretty sure I paid for the knives, at least that is what I use to cut things.

I have noted that those who make knives are generally the most dismissive of Randall knives...even when being outsold.

But have it your way if it makes you feel better.

ps, I am not at this time interested in purchasing any more Randall knives as I have enough to suit my needs, and am having a whale of a time using a Behring.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

...oh, my teenage daughter has absconded with my 60's era 3-6, for she apparently feels it will stick pigs better than her model 26.

I have hidden the other ones.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
i've had a couple, and they're
well built and top quality.
i sold them a while back because
of the crime around this area. i
figured i'd as soon have the money
as for some dope head to pawn them
for twenty bucks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tansinator
Paid $185 for my most recent one. Guess I will be keeping it.

Eddie

that is what I paid for this Model 11, back about 20 years ago. It has processed a lot of hogs and deer in that time. I have never found it lacking.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I am tentatively planning on building one of their patterns for myself next year. I own one (25 or 26??) and have somewhat followed it in pattern.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I will make a mid sized similar one for myself.
They are cool looking and have served their country well in foreign war zones. Originally inspired by Scagel while on a fishing trip to Michigan and many patterns are similar.
Gotta love a well designed and well built knife.
jmho
Tim

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 12/27/16.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tim, I'll take one like the center knife. I'd want a different handle though.

Sam......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 5sdad, 673, 11 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 764 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,388
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.