Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
kenner Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Ya,, I was looking at those IceTrekkers, as well. The Kahtoolas have a shorter spike than Hillsounds.

My boots are similar to the ones in the pic and should do well in most snow conditions. I was actually looking at something like boot chains??

GB1

K
kenner Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Looks like those Diamond Grip IceTrekkers might be a good compliment to my boots, giving me traction on slick surfaces, including sticks/limbs.

I won't be mountraineering; just want some extra traction, to carry with me, just in case.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I think the crampons would be dangerous. I have tried 2-3 different brands of the chain types that are held on with rubber.

Mostly here at home.I do a 2 mile walk almost every morning and most of the county roads are iced over for 3-4 months at a time.

Those chains wear out pretty fast and don't help much in deeper snow ( 6+ inches) unless you break thru all the way down to the ice.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My boots hold pretty well in deeper snow. It's ice that's my problem so the chains might do very well.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I just screw a few hex-head sheetmetal screws in my soles, if'n I need more traction.....

This.

Can't be any simpler or cheaper.

IC B2

K
kenner Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Look at the Diamond Grip. I'm thinking there should be a strap over the top of the boot.

https://icetrekkers.com/product/spikes#product_comparision_chart

You'll have to go down the page, to the "Comparison Chart" button.

Last edited by kenner; 12/08/16. Reason: Additional remark
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What about a pair of logging calks? Running around in a snow covered timber of the wet side is great place to use them. I have run them hunting in the snow and muck covered timberlands in WA quite happily.

Semper Fi

K
kenner Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Just expensive, but a great option!

K
kenner Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I just ordered the latest version of the YakTrax Diamond Grips from Amazon, for under $40, shipped.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I just screw a few hex-head sheetmetal screws in my soles, if'n I need more traction.....

This.

Can't be any simpler or cheaper.

That can't be too good on your soles, though, if used several times over the years.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
My progression is; diamond grips when aggressive boot soles fail, easy on/off and pretty versatile and cheap. Next option is snowshoes of small-meium footprint w/ aggressive crampon across articulation at ball of foot. My new ones are Morpho w/ snowboard type bindings. Pretty easy on/off, are carbon fiber so very light and easy to maneuver in the woods. They also have climbing lifts for the steepstuff. I only use crampons on ice/frozen snow, and prefer the step in type which require specific types of boots. If I am wearing crampons I am probably holding an ice axe.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Tom---Pecks Boot and Shoe --- Moscow Idaho 83843 He charges about $70 and warrants his work to never de-laminate. Excellent work, never had to take a pair back to him and I beat the chit out of my boots.
Tell him you want the air bobs with the Idaho logo
Good Hunting
Lj

Last edited by Heavybullets; 12/08/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If you really want 4x4 traction on ice or slippery vegetated surfaces. Carbides on top, regular logger caulks on bottom. Hoffman's Boots in Idaho does them.

[Linked Image]

I've used the CMI Instep Crampons on top of rubber boots for more edge grip.

[Linked Image]

Just about cracked my skull open using climbing crampons in the woods. Those spikes got hung up on some root tendrils and I went ass-over-teakettle pretty bad - never again.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've spent a lot of time wearing crampons, ice climbing and alpine mountaineering.

[Linked Image]

If you don't know what you are doing you can punch a hole in your leg pretty easy. On many occasions I've had to wear crampons to hike in on the approach. I hate that. It's miserable to wear crampons for general hiking.

[Linked Image]

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Us older guys don't lift our feet like younger ones. I don't shuffle but I do tend to catch my toes on stuff more often than I used to. Crampons would put me on my face a lot.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I like these - cheap, easy, quick. I mostly use them ice fishing but have used them on late season elk hunts too. The chains/springs seem like they'd take you for a ride if you stepped on the wrong log/branch under the snow.

http://www.thewarmingstore.com/stabilicers-walk-orange.html

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have used YaxTrax for just walking around, they work very well and are cheap. If you were planning on some serious climbing then Crampons are the only way to go.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I think the crampons would be dangerous.

Not really. I use the Hillsounds and the trail crampons have really short spikes, I've never had a problem or worried about hurting myself or tearing my gaiters.

They go on/off pretty quick, which is the big advantage over permanent spikes.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

K
kenner Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Have you used Hillsounds in wet snow and tree limbs?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nope, just on packed snow and ice. The spikes are short, but if you're gonna be stepping over a lot of blow-down any kind of spikes might be a problem.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,946 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,535
Posts18,453,012
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.