Print Thread
Hop To
R
rbell Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I am at the powder storage limit in my home, i.e. 25 lbs, and over the weekend purchased an 8 lb keg of Ramshot TAC and also an 8 lb keg of H4350, from a going out of business sale. So now I have to find a way to store. I had planned to store in an outside shed unheated and the temperatures will get down to 25 below or colder. I had understood that freezing does not hurt powder but subsequently have been told that freezing does change the burning rate as follows:
Powder does contain some moisture. When it freezes that moisture turns to ice, and when that ice melts in the spring parts of the kernel of powder break off, and the now smaller kernels or grains of powder will burn at a slightly faster rate. I may have missed some of the details but that is the principal of what was outlined. Is this a fact or am I safe to store outside. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're worried about it, don't let it freeze. Run a small heater or burn a couple of light bulbs to keep it above freezing.
My powder storage is in my garage and I run AC in the summer and heat in the winter to keep temps between 60-80 F.

Last edited by NVhntr; 12/05/16.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never heard that one. Heat is bad, obviously, as all chemical reactions speed up exponentially with increasing heat - the exponent depending on the material. Here's what SAAMI recommends: Smokeless Powder Properties and Storage They say nothing about freezing. Beyound that how about e-mailing a manufacturer? Info directly from the Source!

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have stored my canisters of powder for many years inside plastic coolers in my unheated garage. It probably freezes and thaws several times a winter. Never have noticed the slightest change in burn-rate.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have had only 2 one pound cans, 700x, given to me that were deteriorated. My bud had them in his garage, they had been his dad's, then his, then to me over years of time. This is Colorado, so pretty dry area. I would think the temperature swings would be a concern, but maybe it was the summer that did it in. And you will have to open them letting in different humidity air at different times. I have read of double base powder chaanging at low temps. We do however carry ammo in the cold when hgunting. There surely are more savvy people on here; I am a "gun reader".

Last edited by kennyd; 12/05/16.
IC B2

R
rbell Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
As a follow up to my original question and to pass on the information , I did phone hodgson powder and they did confirm the moisture in powder theory, in fact I just asked if powder could be frozen and the individual opened with the moisture is in powder and it should not be frozen because the burning rate could change. I did however get the impression he didn't think it was too big a deal. However I will ensure from this point on none of my powders will be stored wheel they can freeze.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for posting on your follow up.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
People actually worry about some 25lb limit?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mmmm - probably should. Could be an insurance issue if you're unfortunate enough to have the house go up in flames.

Which explains a lot.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Have yet to have anyone I know with a house fire ever be asked that question post fire...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Want to be the first? grin

Depends on what the particular policy says of course. Maybe something like knowingly violating fire code regulations? I don't know but worth considering I think. You're talking about bucks "bigly."

Which explains a lot.
B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I think the 25# limit is for storage in the basement next to the green beans and tomato sauce. If you build a wooden box with 1" thick sides and a "blowout" panel (a "powder magazine")you can go higher. I'll see if I can find the particulars.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I did considerable research on local fire codes a couple years ago, and they vary considerably. Many are in the 200-pound range.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by liliysdad
People actually worry about some 25lb limit?

I consider 25lbs a good start. BTW, mine sits on a couple of shelves and a homemade cupboard.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
rbell Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
More follow up. I checked with the explosives Branch of Natural Resources Canada who actually administer the Act and although I thought it used to be 10 kilograms i.e. stretched to 25 lbs, it is now 25 kilograms(55 lbs) in a detached home, or 20 kilograms in a home where there are common walls with a neighbour, or 75 kilograms if I want to get a license, which costs $70 per year and I would have to have an inspection of the construction and placement of the magazine. I think I will live within the 55 lbs limit. Also for for the storage of loaded ammo, the limit is 225 kilograms i.e. 500 lbs of powder within the loaded ammo. So I could store in excess of 50,000 rounds of loaded ammo. I have still have at least 49500 to go. Hope this helps some of you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I did considerable research on local fire codes a couple years ago, and they vary considerably. Many are in the 200-pound range.

Yes, they do vary and mucho. The 200 pound limit you found probably comes from the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) which seems to be the gold standard on fire protection. Our state inspectors and fed inspectors (at least in part) require compliance for commercial operations. The part on smokeless powder is reprinted in the SAMMI pamphlet that I linked to in a post back a few.

For property insurance it all depends on what the insurance contract says of course. If you have an agent maybe he could help decipher your policy. But I doubt he even thought about the matter before.

That's all I know, never had enough powder in the basemen to be anyway near anyone's limit.

Which explains a lot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 58 invisible), 3,273 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,297
Posts18,468,035
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.