Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Insulated bibs, or actual coveralls, are the first start for staying warm on stand when it's actually cold.

A hood is next.

Then something to cover your face, especially your lips. Don't ask me why, but if you cover your lips with some light fabric, your body thinks that it is much warmer.

Use vests for torso insulation, so that your arms don't get cramped/bound-up at the elbows, which cuts circulation to your hands. And do not ever leave your wrists sticking out at the top of your gloves, or your hands will lose all the warm circulation.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A cold day in the stand is much easier to mitigate than a cold day hiking and then glassing. For the stand:

1) Wear the absolute minimum walking in to your stand. Be chilly. Pack the rest.

2) When you get to the stand, put your outer clothes on, followed by insulated coveralls, followed by Ice Breaker boot blankets, followed by a piece of closed-cell foam under your feet and azz. OR:

3) Carry a sleeping bag and sit in that. Yes, I mean in your treestand.

If you must hike and glass extensively, the high dollar stuff shines. But it's never possible to hike in all your outerwear, then be warm for a long time when you stop.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Wool baselayers. I like Woolpower, especially their 200 and 400 gram union suits, 400 gram bottoms and 600 gram sweater.

Midlayer - Down and primoloft in jackets and vests. I have most of the pricey stuff and like Sitka the best.

Outer layer - Parka and bibs. Must be wind proof and at least water resistant. Lots of choices but I like Sitka Fanatic and Incinerator gear. Wet wool is just too heavy for me now at my age.

Head - Balaclavas - Woolpower, Black Rock Gear
Hat - Raven Wear Noggin Boggin, Sitka Fanatic Beanie
Neck Gaiter - Raven Wear, Sitka

Hands - Sitka Incinerator hand muff, fanatic gloves, Black Rock Gear down fold back mittens, chemical heat packs

Wild Cards - Get a cheap thin vest and have large pockets sewn on the inside to hold chemical heat packs.
- Slumberjack Thermal and Artic Cloaks. They are each like a sleeping bag with a hood and magnetized arm slits. Clip the bag to your backpack for transport and throw it on at the bottom of your stand in less than a minute. They are very warm and user friendly. They will definitely reduce the amount of cold weather clothes you need. I was very surprised at how much I liked the cloaks.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have glass windows and a heater..

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.