Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just for fun I'm thinking of getting a couple of 9.3x74r inserts for a Russian sxs. The manufacture calls out o/u. Are o/u's stonger(in general)??

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
BP-B2

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Must be wrong forum.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well, it may be where the extractor cuts are in the inserts, but in general, the average O/U is less likely to open than a great number of SXS when going to higher pressures..

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Oh! man i didn't need to see this! who sells them?

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Wonder if one of these could be fitted with rifle inserts:

http://www.legacysports.com/catalog/pointer/pointer-synthetic-home-defense-overunder-shotguns/

Might be a good way to play Backyard Bwana.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

and very expensive!!
939 euros to 1139 euros
ouch!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't see the price...

1,000 Euros = $1,040 today

A double rifle in 9.3x74R = ?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
IC B3

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm

are much cheaper, but they don't have the features or the chamberings or the adjustments or the length to fit the barrel.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
the German made would actually be a cheaper way to get a double rifle than buying a quility double but dang it i am on ssi and the German inserts are out of my reach.
would be fun though to have one barrel one caliber and the other something else!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
After seeing the prices...

I'm thinking of a rifle/shotgun combo. I have the shotgun. All I need to do is buy the removable insert.
Pheasant season and deer season over-lap...

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
i have a nice Spanish sxs 12 that would be slick with a rifle insert in the fc barrel. something i don't have , like a 7x57

going to order one in 22 hornet.

Last edited by deerstalker; 12/15/16.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
I have a K&S full length insert barrel (http://www.einstecklauf.de/)in caliber 6X52R Bretschneider in my 16/70-7X75R SE vom Hofe combination gun. It turns it into what the Germans refer to as a Bergstutzen, or mountain carbine, with two rifle barrels of different calibers. The vom Hofe cartridge is a long range caliber roughly equivalent to a 7mm Remington Magnum, formed from 9.3X74R cartridge cases, while the Bretschneider is in intermediate between the 5.6X52R (22 Savage High Power) and the 6.5X52R (.25-35 Winchester).

K&S make insert barrels in calibers ranging from .17 Hornet to .45-70 Government.

The adjustments at the muzzle allow the insert barrel to be set up so that its point of impact coincides with the rifle barrel at a given range. I can choose between a short range caliber and a long range caliber, both sighted in with the same scope, simply by switching from one trigger to the other. The action in my Krieghoff Ulm Primus is a very strong one and accommodates a set of double rifle barrels in 9.3X74R as well.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by xausa; 12/30/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You need a shotgun that can handle the big 9.3, something like a mid 1970s Simson/Merkel. I do have the Simson in 12ga, if you're serious about doing this.

It's built on the heavier Simson/Merkel reveiver, not the one that they got from Sauer to build some doubles.

I also have for sale right now a Simson Mdl 90 drilling in double 12 and 7X65R that would take a 9.3X74R full length insert. I have a 22 Hornet for it, also. It's topped with a 1.5-6X Hensoldt in swing mounts.

It would make you a hunt Anything gun with the addition of a 9.3X74R insert. whistle wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bugger
After seeing the prices...

I'm thinking of a rifle/shotgun combo. I have the shotgun. All I need to do is buy the removable insert.
Pheasant season and deer season over-lap...

Be sure to know your local laws. Here in ohio, that just might get you arrested.
Here, while hunting deer, you may not have a weapon in your possession thst is not approved for hunting deer. A spent .22lr shell could cause large headaches,
They go so far, that if hunting wild boar during deer gun, ALL DEER GUN RULES APPLY, including tags, limits and weapons. (Most likely, a response to "no officer, I'm not poaching deer, I'm pig hunting.")
I have my dad's model #24 savage, and it is a combo weapon. But one .22lr bullet in hand while hunting deer, and it is a stay at the graybar hotel.

Last edited by kellory; 02/07/17.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think Ohio will be on my bucket list. grin

Here are two different 22 Hornet full length inserts.

Kreighoff 12ga/22 hornet:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Keppeller 16ga/22 Hornet:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A lot of the cost of a double rifle is regulation, a labor intensive undertaking.

A SXS double gun with rifle inserts, unless one can adjust those things, I'm not sure what you'd end up with, how useful it would be.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The inserts are fully adjustable and not hard to regulate at all.

My Hornet in this gun shoots the same POI at 100 yards as the open sights and 2.75 inches low with the scope, which is sighted in for the large caliber rifle.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by luv2safari; 02/08/17.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222ND, 72 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.