Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What are the pluses and minuses of each?

Caliber is set

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
One is a good,accurate and dependable rifle. The other is a Kimber...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
And Legacy Sports has a military purchase program.

Not so Kimber.

John Stark.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Pretty sure that the Alpine is a coated CM barrel. Might not matter to most, but the bore concerned me and steered me the Kimber route.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do a search here on the 'Fire. Believe SMACK had the Howa Alpine in 6.5CM and let it go. Shot well, however, I believe he had constant issues with fouling.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ultra bore Capt will solve that, no?

John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Ultra bore Capt will solve that, no?

Maybe, maybe not. I've had good luck and no luck with UBC. Not sure what SMACK truly experienced, or if he tried Ultra Bore Coat.

Originally Posted by SMACK
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Is the metal actually stainless which is then coated, or is it chro-moly?

Chrome Moly and it was a tough barrel to break in. Fouled like no barrel I have ever owned or shot and I own, have owned and have shot ALLOT of factory and custom barrels. I've only seen one barrel worse. A 6.5 (8 twist) $100.00 Green Mountain barrel a local kid used for a 6.5 WSM build. After 200 round a cotton patch on a jag still ratchets down it.

Last edited by WiFowler; 12/08/16. Reason: Added Info from SMACKs post

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought the Howa from SMACK and when it gets in it's getting the UBC treatment. Will let y'all know how that works. He said it fouled pretty bad but his targets he posted showed a lot of potential

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, I picked up a 6.5 "lightning" from Whittaker's for Black Friday. The rifle came with instructions to do the old "Fire one shot, then wet patch/dry patch every shot for 10 shots, then every two shots for 10 more" routine. Also says to let the barrel cool completely between all the shots.

They say it will aid in cleaning and reduce fouling, as well as keep it from stringing as the barrel heats up.

I have not seen a need to do that crap since I started buying better finished barrels back in the 90's, but I wonder if I should with this rifle? Any of you guys who bought the Howa's do the "break in" that they recommend, and, if so, how is the copper fouling in your tube after doing it?

Also, are you shooting solids or jacketed? I really like the TSX and TTSX in .223, but don't HAVE to shoot them in 6.5.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think Smack had a bum barrel. I've had a few Howa and a few Vanguards and didn't have an issue wth fouling. My Howa 308 is. Pencil barrel Ranchland Compact and shoots right at 1" and my current Vanguard in 30-06 is shooting sub MOA. I had a 7RM I wish I'd have never gotten rid of that was a tackdriver and a 243 that was also a tackdriver.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Both are excellent choices and proven dependable platforms. I have handled both and own long actions in both. The howa feels more solid, but i prefer the handling of the Kimber in hand. Stricley ergonomics for me... i like Kimbers 3 position shroud safety and the more streamlined magazine. I glass bed everything before i shoot them to give them all a level playing field in accuracy tests both were suB-moa sHooters. Good luck with your decision, there is no wrong choice in m view.

If it moves shoot it again!!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by brno284
Both are excellent choices and proven dependable platforms. I have handled both and own long actions in both. The howa feels more solid, but i prefer the handling of the Kimber in hand. Stricley ergonomics for me... i like Kimbers 3 position shroud safety and the more streamlined magazine. I glass bed everything before i shoot them to give them all a level playing field in accuracy tests both were suB-moa sHooters. Good luck with your decision, there is no wrong choice in m view.

There is no long action Howa alpine.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Never said there was, said i owned long actions by each manufacturer. The Alpine being a scaled down 1500, which i have handled. Thought i was being clear but one finger typing on this tablet is a pita!

If it moves shoot it again!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be happy with either, but the Howa has a 20" barrel, I believe, and that might mean something to some people. Personally, I don't care for the "trigger guard" on the Hunter either. Alpines I've seen for sale have both DMs and regular floorplates in the box.

The extra money a Montana costs over a Hunter is well worth it to me.

Last edited by Pappy348; 12/11/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
To shoot a rifle wether it be short range or long the rifle must effectively chamber the round first.

The Howa rifle does this.

Personally however Id choose a Tikka T3 Superlite as it weighs in at only 1 ounce more and long-range acccuracy is pretty much a gaurantee. Function is flawless. Trigger is great.

I got in on all the sales and put together a 6.5 swede with a SS 6X42 and warn rings for just under $850 all in. My rifle is not the superlite however for long-range I dont mind the few extra ounces. The Howa might compete accuracy wise but has a copper eating barrel.

Apparently sales of tikka rifles has seen a notable incline in recent years and with the competition it shouldnt be all that surprising. The way I see it is for hundreds of dollars less I set up a great long-range rig that the Howa might compete with.

Kimber and Long-Range in my opinion do not belong in the same sentence.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Hahahaha!

Last edited by Higbean; 12/11/16.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tikkas are great rifles, but I just don't care much for the looks, although the X-models are an improvement. A blind magazine, a flush DM, or one with a traditional floorplate would be a help in that area.

Howas feature forged actions with one-piece bolts and toolless bolt take-down, all features I really like in a rifle. Haven't experienced the copper-eating problem as yet, but suspect there are ways to mitigate that.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Trystan

Trystan

Less than two months you started a thread asking advice about starting long range shooting, and now you are giving it?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Trystan

Less than two months you started a thread asking advice about starting long range shooting, and now you are giving it?

Im a fast learner 😀 It saves on banging ones head against the wall needlessly and painfully for many years. Im fairly certain 6mm dasher is not a factory Kimber chambering. Ive read enouph of your posts to see you are likely very adept and knowledgable concerning long range. Likely knowledgable enouph to recognize that a kimber factory spout is none other than short range fodder!
Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 12/11/16.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Trystan

Im a fast learner 😀 It saves on banging ones head against the wall needlessly and painfully for many years

Trystan

Apparently not as fast as you think...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
668 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.