Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Walmart is really pushing online sales now. With the money behind them, they just might give Amazon a run for it. Their prices are much lower than what Sears is offering.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...uy-jet-com-for-3-billion-to-fight-amazon

Wal-Mart to Acquire Jet.com for $3.3 Billion to Fight Amazon

by
Shannon Pettypiece

and
Selina Wang

August 8, 2016 — 8:38 AM EDTAugust 8, 2016 — 3:26 PM EDT

Jet and Wal-Mart will maintain distinct brands after buyout

Deal is retail giant’s largest acquisition in the U.S. ever

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I don't know how it is with other Sears stores but customer service is non-existent in the Wasilla branch. If you do manage to actually find someone working in the tool department and can actually get them to talk to you, the odds of them knowing anything are lower than drawing a bison tag.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Walmart still doesn't have it figured out.

Note the disclaimer that notations of place of manufacture are conjecture and advising that you must read the label to determine manufacturer's statement of place of manufacture. For Pete's sake, you can't read the label until you've bought the item! What else is inaccurate about their descriptions?

Some of their orders are fulfilled by a third party known well known to refuse to properly honor warranties, return terms and refunds - to the point of systematic fraud.

While delivery to their stores is free and their huge network of stores could make that an incredible advantage, may of their online items do not allow delivery to the store so you have to pay shipping.

Lastly, they are so big they just don't know what the hell they are doing and you can't discuss it with them. I went looking online for a certain brand of airgun pellets and Walmart had the best price. I start the ordering process and get well into it before their site informs me they will not sell airgun pellets to Will County Illinois! Why the hell not? Airgun pellets are not regulated in Will County. How are they going to take on Amazon with a system that refuses to make sales?

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sears here just closed up about 4 months ago. But news from the white house says trump is inheriting a great economy so there's really nothing to worry about.

"Remain calm, all is well" .....Animal House

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
Sears here just closed up about 4 months ago. But news from the white house says trump is inheriting a great economy so there's really nothing to worry about.

"Remain calm, all is well" .....Animal House

Sears near me closed up 4 YEARS ago.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by joken2
I worked for a couple of years with guy who started with Sears in high school, continued working there after graduating and over the years worked his way up to general manager of a large full service Sears store.

He said he had always loved working for Sears but it got so mentally unbearable dealing with ever increasing corporate pressure and demands after the K-mart deal that he felt he had to take early retirement or else go nuts.

The last I heard Sears offered him too good of a deal to turn down, on his terms, back in his former position, if he would come back with them again and he accepted.

Ironically, the guy who took his job at Sears after he retired wound up quiting Sears for the same reasons and came to work for our company too.

I used to know the guy who was the manager for the Sears tire shop here. When he was a couple years from retirement, they moved him to manage women's clothing. That would have been ok but they put him on full commission. As manager, he didn't sell so his commissions were close to nothing. He was working for free and starving but trying to hold on until he could draw his pension. They were trying to screw him out of it.

Likewise, my sister worked in their home decorating dept. It was also commission. If they had a slow week, they could 'draw' on the next week's anticipated sales. When they worked extra, like doing inventory, they weren't paid. They had to draw ahead and pay it back later. She didn't work for them long before she wised up.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by GunReader
Walmart still doesn't have it figured out.

Note the disclaimer that notations of place of manufacture are conjecture and advising that you must read the label to determine manufacturer's statement of place of manufacture. For Pete's sake, you can't read the label until you've bought the item! What else is inaccurate about their descriptions?

Some of their orders are fulfilled by a third party known well known to refuse to properly honor warranties, return terms and refunds - to the point of systematic fraud.

While delivery to their stores is free and their huge network of stores could make that an incredible advantage, may of their online items do not allow delivery to the store so you have to pay shipping.

Lastly, they are so big they just don't know what the hell they are doing and you can't discuss it with them. I went looking online for a certain brand of airgun pellets and Walmart had the best price. I start the ordering process and get well into it before their site informs me they will not sell airgun pellets to Will County Illinois! Why the hell not? Airgun pellets are not regulated in Will County. How are they going to take on Amazon with a system that refuses to make sales?

Amazon is going to eat their lunch

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
All the local K marts are gone...big stand alone Sears has long been gone...only local Sears is in what used to be a car dealership and I was told yesterday it is closing for good. Bye bye.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I have heard the Sears does a great job of supporting their employees that are in the Reserves/Guard. I really appreciate that and buy from them as much as I can.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

"Sears Hometown" and "Sears Outlet" stores are independently owned and seperate from Sears Holdings.

Local Sears Hometown store stocks various brand name items including some Sears brands and appears to be keeping it's head above water for around five years or longer now, how high above I don't know.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
As a Sears "Baby", my father worked his way up the ranks to the executive level, I have watched Sears' demise since the 80's. That is when the then President of Sears decided that they needed to increase the promotion process or continue to lose great people to Wal-Mart. For every large store manager that retired, 26 other employees were promoted. It was supposed to help launch Sears into the 21st century. What dad told me it was going to do was destroy Sears. Too many people promoted before they were ready and no one there to help them out. To accomplish this promotion flood, they wrote an early buyout program that was outstanding. Almost everyone that took Sears up on the buyout became instant millionaires. In the 80's that was huge. The vast majority of top level executives took that one time early retirement buyout, far more that was anticipated, and that left Sears with a quality management void that they were not able to overcome. Then Sears sold off it's very profitable Allstate Insurance Agency, and then came the infamous K-Mart/Sears merger. That was the end of what was once a great company.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Sears, K-mart and Western Auto, too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't fathom how the one here pays their heating bill

The auto center and appliances must sell a fair bit if it's indeed a viable store, but my gut tells me they're hemorrhaging money

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

The last thing I bought from Sears was new tires at a Sears automotive center around three or four years ago. At that time they were the only local vendor who had the exact brand and model of tires I wanted and at a pretty decent price. They did as good a job mounting, balancing and installing as anybody although when I got home I discovered one of my hub covers was missing. Called them back asking if they forgot to put it back on or found it laying around in their shop or parking lot. Said they knew nothing about it. Cost me over $30 for a replacement.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mart
I don't know how it is with other Sears stores but customer service is non-existent in the Wasilla branch. If you do manage to actually find someone working in the tool department and can actually get them to talk to you, the odds of them knowing anything are lower than drawing a bison tag.

Same for the Anchorage store. The only reason I go there is if they have something nobody else carries, which is rare.

Their employees are a sorry bunch of drones, it's like a zombie movie. I swear every time I've finally gotten around to paying for my purchase it's the first time the lady at the checkout counter has operated the register and it takes an additional 5-10 minutes to get out of the store.

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The Sears and Kmart near me closed several years ago.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
They killed their tool department when they went overseas with the Craftsman line. I may as well go to Harbor Freight now if I want some cheapass crap.

This.

We bought a mattress from Sears and it was defect, springs ends sticking out the sides. Customer services was a nightmare. They tried to replace the queen sixe with a twin. We said no. They took it back and brought us another twin... three times. No way for customer service to transfer us to a manager. Took over four months and we finally bought another mattress from elsewhere and has Sears pick up the broken one and refund out money.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Can't think of the last time I was in a Sears store. And I don't care. RIP, it's about time. When companies lose sight of what got them there, it only makes since they die.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
I can't fathom how the one here pays their heating bill

The auto center and appliances must sell a fair bit if it's indeed a viable store, but my gut tells me they're hemorrhaging money

Maybe it will go back to being a nightclub!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well the went Chi-com so piss on em.

They don't even honor the warranty on the old Craftsman tools. When you piss of the people that helped build your company that's what happens.

Last edited by tzone; 12/08/16.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

423 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 49 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,982
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.