Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I went on geese hunt with a friend of mine (borrowed oneof his high end berettas, blind etc.) and not surprisingly I am on a market for a shotgun. Everyone is telling me I should have a gun that takes 3.5" shells for geese, so after lots and lots of reading and seeing actual guns at bass pro and cabelas I narrowed down to those two guns mentioned above. Both guns have the same fit and both can be purchased under $1000, which is my spending limit. But I cant't decide between gas and inertia. Winchester has brand appeal for me, plus they are made by FN in Belgium, which is seal of quality for me. On the other hand, Franchi felt sleeker and shell we say, sexier. I hear glowing words from friends who own either one, so I am wondering what you folks can say.

Last edited by k98junkie; 12/08/16.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would place fit at the top of the list when it comes to shotguns.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You don't need 3.5" shells. That opens up a lot more door under $1000. Good luck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 19352012
You don't need 3.5" shells

This is true. Go forth and kill stuff

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Fit is the most important, IMO with shotguns. I agree with the other guys that 3.5 inch shells are not needed. I have a Benelli M2 that I find myself using more and more.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SX3 will shoot a lot softer with the big shells.
My 3 1/2" gun is only used for steel shot.
Yes, you can get by with a 3" gun but that's like saying you can get away with a .243 for all big game.
1 1/2 oz. of BB's traveling at 1500 fps will always beat out 1 1/4 oz at 1400 fps.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Assuming that function/reliability is equal and both within your budget, go with what feels/fits best in your hands. Close your eyes, mount and swing it a couple times. Compare that 'fit/feel' side by side.

Forget brand preference and what you read in a magazine. At the end of the day it's going to be reliability and how you and it perform in the field.

P.S. Take a couple hours and pattern it. You might find that POI is off one direction or the other and many modern shotguns can be adjusted for that (with stock shims). Why give up 10%+ of your shot load because your POI is high/low/left/right from where you think it is.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My thoughts are that if you absolutely need a 3.5 inch, then you might as well get a 10 ga, but that is just me.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
On rare occasion a 3 1/2, might bag a couple more birds than a 3". I just sold my 3 1/2" gun because I think they are mostly not needed, If I can't kill it with a 3", I probably can't with a 3 1/2 either. I only hunted waterfowl occasionally. That said, if I hunted waterfowl a lot, and especially geese a lot, I think I would like the 3 1/2 option although I would mostly use 3".

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
P.S. If the SX3 fits and feels good that would be my pick.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I much prefer the Benelli inertia actuated actions over the gas-operated Berettas Ive had. They are lighter, and simpler actions; easier to clean and maintain.

I don't think you need the 3.5" capability for geese. I've used Kent's tungsten matrix 3", size 1 shot for geese which is very close to lead in density; in fact you wouldn't be able to distinguish it from lead in the field and it will beat steel all day long. They are spendy though. I use the same shells in size 5 for ducks.

The M1, used, the M2, the Montfeltro and Ultralight would be just some of the Ben's I'd look at. Some of these will push you above 1k a bit but these are very good dependable shotguns.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Academy and Bass Pro have had black synthetic Benelli Montefeltros in 12 gauge 28 inch barrels for the last few month. $799. Hard to beat that. Only 3 inch but I agree with others, with the diversity of shell choices I'll never shoot 3 1/2s. Guys are killing geese stone dead with hevy metal 3 inch 20 gauge.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thank you guys for all the input! I ended up with camouflaged Franchi Affinity from a local mom and pop gun store. Put 200 rounds at a club skeet & trap range; The action smooth as a butter, the gun shoulders and points naturally, zero issues with cycling. The craftsmanship is pretty good for this price class gun. I have no regrets, hope it won't let me down in the field.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good luck....

Interesting tho, that it is pretty much proven most will shoot rifles more accurately with less recoil. Yet, there are a whole bunch of "everyones" who don't think it applies to shotguns.

laissez les bons temps rouler
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by battue
Good luck....

Interesting tho, that it is pretty much proven most will shoot rifles more accurately with less recoil. Yet, there are a whole bunch of "everyones" who don't think it applies to shotguns.

I totally agree. That is why I sometimes use an Inertia shotgun(Affinity) for dove and quail but I always use a gas gun for duck and geese.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
Good luck....

For one thing, I would imagine there's a difference in precision required for "aiming" a single projectile vs. "pointing" a pattern of shot. Within that margin of precision, it probably takes quite a bit of difference in recoil to affect accuracy. At some point, obviously, it's going to matter. The difference between an inertia gun, and a gas gun, maybe not, even shooting heavy loads. How much you're shooting how fast would seem to matter as well.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Some difference, but with the rifle you aim and correct. With the shotgun you usually have to get close from the start with a good instinctive point and aiming at flying targets doesn't work all that well. If recoil is in the subconscious, then you won't point as well or the head will be off the stock.

Lots of shooting and the heavy kickers will take their toll, the same as with rifles. The big drawback of the heavy kickers is most will come off the stock on recoil. If a follow-up is needed, or another Bird, most will let the second one go with the head still off the stock. May work if the Birds are climbing. If not good chance one will shoot over.

Shot enough 3.5's that I don't question it. Corse us little guys get rocked harder. The big boys suck up recoil much better with less jar.

Last edited by battue; 12/12/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like my Franchi Affinity a lot. Seems like the new 3" shot shells are pretty dang effective.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The best argument against 3.5" shells is the taste of geese.

S
S
My last duck hunt i carried a 3.5 inch 1187 with 3.5 ammo and 3 inch mid morning I began to shoot only 3 inch and out shoot everyone in the blind also made the longest shot. Maybe luck but my shoulder was also happy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

293 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,733
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.