Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I ordered a big box of the 75 grain Hornady BTHP match bullet with a cannelure and shot them in two different uppers twisted 1/9(16 inch) and 1/7(20 inch). The 20 inch 1/7 twisted barrel was slightly more accurate with the bullet but neither barrel is a match barrel and both barrels shot this bullet under 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards. Water jug testing revealed a difference though. The 1/7 barrel kept the bullets point on with half the core and the expanded jacket ending up in the third water filled milk jug with small bits of lead and pieces of jacket in the second jug. The bullets from the 1/9 twist barrel tumbled, bent and the lead core ended up in the third jug leaving the broken up jacket and very little lead in the second jug. The lead core being bent but nearly complete. I ran this test twice with the same results, the jugs were shot at 100 yards. Load was 24.5 grains of BLC-2 with a Wolf mag primer. Both tore up the first two jugs pretty good but the third jug just had a small hole in it where the last of the bullet penetrated it,knocked over but still intact with the lid on the milk jug. Hard to choose but I like the performance a bit better from the 1/7 twisted barrel.

Last edited by Palidun; 08/10/16.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks for that informative post. Gives something to think about.

O
O
Twist rates for different weight bullets are different. The heavier the bullet the faster the twist rate should be..ie........

55 grain is better with 1:9 twist

75 grain is better with 1:7 twist

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by outdoorman68
Twist rates for different weight bullets are different. The heavier the bullet the faster the twist rate should be..ie........

55 grain is better with 1:9 twist

75 grain is better with 1:7 twist

Generally true, however, bullet shank length also has a lot to do with the best twist rate for accuracy.

BTW, Welcome To The 'Fire! grin

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 08/18/16. Reason: added text

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
It does show that the 62 gr. FMJBT's the military switched to when used in 1-7 inch twist barrels probably didn't tumble and do as much damage to a target as the 55 gr FMJBT did coming from a 1-12 twist barrel. This could be why the 62gr. bullets seem to have a dismal reputation for stopping power.

Dog I rescued in January

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
More testing. I shot a big doe a couple of weeks ago with the 75 gr, BTHP Hornady cannelured. Damage was a rather thin wound channel of around an inch through the meat under the shoulder blade and exiting over the shoulder blade where it attaches to the upper leg bone. Hole in upper part of lungs was a square almost 2 inches across, exit hole was a cross section of the bullet going through sideways. I found the bottom of the jacket sticking out of the shoulder under the hide, all of it up to the cannelure with no lead inside. The doe ran maybe 35 yards and was down. This from my 1-7 inch twist 20 inch barrel and powered by the above load. I saw the bullet hit, she jumped a bit, took off and went down. I like the 60 grain Hornady HP better, for more damage but the 75 grain bullet did quickly kill the deer and it did exit.

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Interesting.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No new news here. Being saying it for years, most don't want to listen.

If seen a few cases of Barnes bullets not behaving right on the 'Fire (dipshiet Brad comes to mind) that I know were minimally stabilized, at best.

But there are a LOT of thick skulls on the 'Fire.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Isn't this the bullet Stick likes for AR's?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I guess I will have to shoot a deer in the same spot with a 1-9 twist barrel for a comparison!

Dog I rescued in January

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Isn't this the bullet Stick likes for AR's?

Yes

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The 1-9" twist for the .223 is marginal. Slowing speeds down with the 16" tube isn't going to help anything.

That being said I was shooting offhand with this bullet yesterday in 7 and 9 twist AR's and hit percentage was the same out to 250yds. Damage to jugs at 50-100yds was the same. That's @ 2,500' for elevation and a temperature of 7*.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Got a 9 twist in a deuce and its very versatile, but Im only shooting bullets up to 63 grains. For heavier stuff in the .223 or even the longer lighter bullets like Barnes TTSXs the tighter twist is mo' beta.
Ive got an 8 twist .223AI that will shoot anything I stuff into it...a 7 should too.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
The 75 grain HPBT doesn't shoot as well out of my 1-9 twist barrel but it hugs MOA. Not that far off sea level here in Fort Worth and the humidity if thats a factor is often over 60%.

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I found out that lower elevation stuff REALLY IS a factor! Especially with longer bullets! The 1 in 8 twist cleared it right up!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm only about 1200 ft elevation at our range....

I have found if a match longer bullet is shot with the one in 9 fast enough, there are no stabilization issues..

however with a one in 9, if one can live with a 68 grain BTHP over the 75 grain version... that bullets is almost the same in length and actually seems to be as flat shooting as the 75s out to about 600 yds is the most I've tried it....

but being a little lighter, ( and I use faster powders than most).. you can give it some extra velocity over the 75s...

H 322 is the powder I usually reach for, when loading either bullet... and so far my shooting of them has been strictly in bolt actions...throated to magazine length.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
The 68 or is it 69 grain Hornady bullet is actually a couple thousandths longer than the 75 grain Hornady bullet. I may do some trading to get some of the lighter bullets.

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Seafire
I'm only about 1200 ft elevation at our range....

I have found if a match longer bullet is shot with the one in 9 fast enough, there are no stabilization issues..

however with a one in 9, if one can live with a 68 grain BTHP over the 75 grain version... that bullets is almost the same in length and actually seems to be as flat shooting as the 75s out to about 600 yds is the most I've tried it....

but being a little lighter, ( and I use faster powders than most).. you can give it some extra velocity over the 75s...

H 322 is the powder I usually reach for, when loading either bullet... and so far my shooting of them has been strictly in bolt actions...throated to magazine length.

What makes you run the faster powders 'fire?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have a hobby lathe and I may set it up to take .020 off the pointy end of the 75 grain bullet. This would also make the HP opening a bit bigger. Something to play with anyway.

Dog I rescued in January

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (160user, 219DW, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 47 invisible), 1,856 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,184
Posts18,465,685
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.