24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Last year the old ranch dodge died and the boss got a used '08 ford for me. The engine blew a while back and he had a local shop put in a Jasper rebuilt. He also replaced the CAT/regen filter deallie. I picked up the truck from the shop on saturday and went to get mineral tubs that I couldn't haul without a truck. On the way, the engine light came on and the throttle wouldn't work even tho the engine was idling. After shutting 'er down it reset the computer and allowed me to drive back to the shop. He says bad exhaust sensor. Replaced, reset everything and sent me on my way. Yesterday, same thing. He swapped sensors again. Today, yet again. This time he tossed a Ford sensor in, instead of another Napa. Boom! right after I get home and go to hook up the snowplow. They also fugged up the wiring for the plow, so I couldn't even get it hooked up. Advice?

GB2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Lawyer?
Sounds like they messed up good.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, maybe... But what would be causing the exhaust sensors to burn up before it re-gens/filter cleans?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It sounds like a good candidate for a DPF delete.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Can't answer that Don. Might get some good info from FTE forum.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don,

My bud up here in Ak a damn good mechanic and knows his way around diesels said this..

It doesn't sound like a bad exhaust sensor. It's going into limp mode for some reason. I would find a new shop. That one sounds like a bunch of retards.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 79S
Don,

My bud up here in Ak a damn good mechanic and knows his way around diesels said this..

It doesn't sound like a bad exhaust sensor. It's going into limp mode for some reason. I would find a new shop. That one sounds like a bunch of retards.

Going into limp mode was the first thing I thought of. Happens to our trucks when they idle for longer periods and don't get to run down the road and regen.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Limp mode in itself isn't the problem. It's programmed into the computer. If the computer detects a problem, it will go into limp to hopefully avoid further damage. Supposedly it will allow you to drive slowly to someplace for repairs.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It sounds like a good candidate for a DPF delete.

the mechanic ordered a delete kit today. still wont have the truck till late next week. Feeding off the tractor is getting old, especially at 10 below like yesterday.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I bought a used Dodge Cummins several years ago. I didn't know it at the time but it had been DPF deleted. It had a chip under the dash that flashed a lot so I got the ID from it and found it on the web. It resets the computer every time I start it to fool it into thinking the regen has just been completed.

― George Orwell

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I have a 6.4 and I keep putting off the egr-def delete kit because it seems like there is always something more important to spend money on than my truck.

But I want it bad.

I don't post on the campfire much anymore because I'm too g-damn busy to sit down at a computer and posting from my mobile is clumsy at best.

But I've got a little time this morning so I thought I'd catch up here in the truck section and browse the loony bin upstairs.

Don, I'm a firm believer in the deletes, even though I've not been able to do it yet to mine. Recently I had a serp belt thrown from a bad tensioner, the belt threw off backwards towards the engine and it band sawed a slot in a coolant tube crazy.
To fix the coolant tube I had to pull the intake elbow off. This is the charged air intake elbow, it also has a small side inlet for exhaust gas recirc. This is what the inside of the intake looks like from that exhaust recirc dumping in and being blended with the charged air on it's way into the intake.

[Linked Image]

lookatthisshit!

[Linked Image]

Here's what's next, that crap coats the top of your pistons and combustion chamber. Then your DEF calls for regen. You know how they clean it in an 08 right? They flood cylinders with unburnable amounts of fuel so it gets pumped into the DEF where it ignites and burns. Our 08's get the pistons washed on DEF cycles. Some of that fuel ends up down in the crank case.

You won't see a stock 08 6.4 that "uses oil". The oil level doesn't drop, it rises. Your expensive CJ4 rated oil is being diluted with diesel fuel in the crank case. And not clean diesel, it's black soot diesel.

That's why the engine oil on these things is always BLACK.

I don't care about boosting power, I just want these engine killing devices removed from my 6.4, I've found some kits in the $500-$700 range that advertise the very minimum power gains.

The soot and the diesel contamination in the engine oil are 2 big reasons, another huge reason is exhaust gas temps. When you delete the DEF your EGT's go down considerably which is really nice for the life of your turbos and other stuff. Plus you won't be super cooking your coolant with EGR coolers, it's all good, all the way around.

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, the 'flood the cylinders' to fuel the DPF is a bad way to go. Newer rigs have an extra injector to directly fuel the DPF, so cylinder wash and oil dilution aren't a problem. All the EGR crud still is. IIRC, a tuner to delete may be hard to find because of the EPA. Canada is the source.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Look at PPEI Diesel, HPP Diesel and Anarchy. At least one of them does deletes for the Fords. I did my '14 Cummins a few weeks ago using PPEI. Transmission tunes and 5 engine tunes were included. It feels and sounds like a different truck now, and I don't have to worry about DEF issues, or EGR fouling anymore.

Last edited by badger; 12/10/16.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by northern_dave

I don't care about boosting power, I just want these engine killing devices removed from my 6.4, I've found some kits in the $500-$700 range that advertise the very minimum power gains.

The soot and the diesel contamination in the engine oil are 2 big reasons, another huge reason is exhaust gas temps. When you delete the DEF your EGT's go down considerably which is really nice for the life of your turbos and other stuff. Plus you won't be super cooking your coolant with EGR coolers, it's all good, all the way around.

Amen Dave.

But oh yeah, diesel exhaust is 'killing' the Earth......

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
have a Mini Max on my 6.4.....it works good , but the govt. mostly ran the company out of the tuner business

Last edited by sdgunslinger; 12/10/16.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Amen Dave.

I'm surprised the government hasn't regulated human bowel movements. Following their theories on engine emissions, they would have us eat 50% of our own crap because that would reduce our waste stream by 50%.

Stupidbastards.

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Amen Dave.

I'm surprised the government hasn't regulated human bowel movements. Following their theories on engine emissions, they would have us eat 50% of our own crap because that would reduce our waste stream by 50%.

Stupidbastards.

Shhh, one of those stupid bastards might just read this and get an idea..............

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I love my Duramax even more.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I'm a Dodge guy

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Do these have the throttle position sensor on pedal??

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 02/23/17.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
97 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 15 invisible), 1,679 guests, and 658 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.