-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm looking for a cheap, stand alone program that I can run from a flash drive and store in a safe deposit box.

I'd like to record all my firearms serial numbers along with pictures of each firearm for insurance purposes.

I could probably rig something up in Excel, but it wouldn't be as neat or useful as a program created by someone with real skill.

Is there anything out there that fills the bill?

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Cheapest way to do it would be to get OpenOffice from the Apache Software foundation.

This would give you the option of using Calc (Excel) for a basic spread sheet, or if you feel like slamming your johnson in the revolving door, they provide a full DB solution with Base that would allow you to create a full third normal form relational database with every available 64 bit data type. And they provide you with the DBMS tools to manage the tables, provide forms, and create queries and reports. Beware, it's closer to Oracle, PostGres, or MSSql DBMS than the WYSIWYG craptacular Access Microsoft monstrosity.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had a program like that, but that was two computers ago and along the way the data got so horribly scrambled that I just deleted the whole mess.

There has to be some kind of "collectable items inventory" freeware out there that will do what you want. It may not be labeled as a firearms database but it must be there. try the list of programs at CNET.com

Like this one HOME INVENTORY

Or even better GUN INVENTORY

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Make a Word document template; you can then just paste your pics into the boxes that you created as well as enter all the necessary data into a form that you set up.

Easy peasy, might take a half hour, tops if you have any proficiency with Word.

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
1) flash drive
2) save an Excel spreadsheet or even a text file to it with serial number/model/purchase price/etc of each gun
3) Create folders for each gun on the flash drive
4) save photos to the appropriate folder for each gun

The problem with finding an app that will store your photos in it is whether the app will still be around in 5 or 10 years. Just save the photos, JPG's will be used or viewable at least for decades.

PS: For myself, I create a spreadsheet and then export it as a PDF. I save the photos and the PDF on a flash drive in case my computers crash.

Last edited by Calhoun; 12/08/16.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
simple spread sheet would take 5 minutes. Or just take pictures and put SD card in the safe.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A spread sheet with photos and e-mail it to yourself.
When your computer dies, is stolen or destroyed your document is still waiting for you.
A copy on a flash drive is handy and both options will need an update from time to time.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hate the idea of putting data in cyberspace, even encrypted by MY encryption program. It's out of your control, no telling what will happen to it. Including simply vanishing.

I use Excel and keep pictures separately in one of the common formats. About every computer has Excel or a clone installed so the file will always (as long as it matters anyway) be readable.

Or you could put it all into a Word document as suggested above, not hard.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not a smart phone user but I have to believe there's some sort of asset management App out there.

What you're looking for does't necessarliy have to be specific to firearms does it?

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for all the replies fellas.

I found [b][color:#3333FF]this little program[/color][/b] which does what I'm looking for. I can run it from a flash drive along with all photos. I can store the pics and SN's along with a description. Not perfect but it's free and it works for my needs.

IC B3

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's a actually a good idea for anything that would have value in the event of some compelling event.

I need to do the same with all things collectable. Also, good for Will inclusion.

Thanks for sharing!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Like I said, it isn't perfect. There's some fields in there I wish I could edit and remove some unnecessary stuff, but overall it's worth Free...

wink

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Make a Word document template; you can then just paste your pics into the boxes that you created as well as enter all the necessary data into a form that you set up.

Easy peasy, might take a half hour, tops if you have any proficiency with Word.

MM

Yep! works for me! I also take pictures of each weapon and keep that and a copy of the Word doc in a safe place offsite..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe if you need a program to keep up with your stuff, you got too much stuff. grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You might try Point Blank. No photo function with it but that can be worked around. Just create folders for each rifle and save the jpg's in them. Best part of it is it is free.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,080
Posts18,463,886
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.