Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
...any sort of cognizant reasoning.

I keep hearing complaints from several of the wildfire victims about the amount of time it took to issue an evacuation order for Gatlinburg and the surrounding area.
They state that if given an earlier warning, it could have saved more property and lives. And taking the statement as it stands on it's own I, as most anyone, would have to say that sure it would of.

One woman in particular, said that she has survived 21 hurricanes living in the gulf coast region. She stated that if the evacuation order had been given earlier that morning that things would have turned out much better. Again, sure it would have.

Here is what she along with several more seem to be missing. The fire was started less than five miles outside of the mountain town. The town was directly down wind of initial fire with winds in excess of 80+ mile an hour. Given the tinder box conditions of the season, the extended drought along with the winds, just how much time was afforded to issue the evacuation? I'm guessing not very much.

The burn pattern suggests that the fire was leap frogging itself to where ever the high wind could carry hot embers.

This wasn't like a hurricane that was brewing off the coast for several days being watched with anticipation. Or even a wildfire that was breaching anykind of concerted effort to contain it.

When this wildfire first reared it's ugly head, it was already there.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
From what I know of the area[we're down 6-7 times annually] and the reports of where fire damage occurred it seems to me that an evacuation order would have had to have been issued for multiple counties. It's clear that the burn pattern was completely random and that any areas within 10-15 miles of each burn down wind were at risk. Just no real way to predict anything and I really don't see how a mandatory evacuation would have saved any structures?

FJB & FJT
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Townsend, Walland and East Millers Cove had been fighting fires for a week prior. The wind wasn't as big of a factor with those.

The fire that swept through ski mnt and chalet village had just been set(arson) in the Chimneys area right above Gatlinburg. I'm not sure if anyone really knew the extent of it until was already inside the city limits.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Some people always need an answer to why things happen when sometimes there's no correct answer as to why. [bleep] happens.

And many of those same people need an answer so they can put blame on someone to begin their lawsuit.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

I keep hearing complaints from several of the wildfire victims about the amount of time it took to issue an evacuation order for Gatlinburg and the surrounding area.
They state that if given an earlier warning, it could have saved more property and lives. And taking the statement as it stands on it's own I, as most anyone, would have to say that sure it would of.

One woman in particular, said that she has survived 21 hurricanes living in the gulf coast region. She stated that if the evacuation order had been given earlier that morning that things would have turned out much better. Again, sure it would have.

Here is what she along with several more seem to be missing. The fire was started less than five miles outside of the mountain town. The town was directly down wind of initial fire with winds in excess of 80+ mile an hour. Given the tinder box conditions of the season, the extended drought along with the winds, just how much time was afforded to issue the evacuation? I'm guessing not very much.

The burn pattern suggests that the fire was leap frogging itself to where ever the high wind could carry hot embers.

This wasn't like a hurricane that was brewing off the coast for several days being watched with anticipation. Or even a wildfire that was breaching anykind of concerted effort to contain it.

Too many people depend on the government to tell them this, or that. Or do this or that for them.

The government isn't going to save you.

If there's a fire, get out.

If there's a hurricane, get out.

People have gotten to where they can't think for themselves anymore.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Too many people depend on the government to tell them this, or that. Or do this or that for them.

And in so many facets of life.

T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by slg888
Some people always need an answer to why things happen when sometimes there's no correct answer as to why. [bleep] happens.

And many of those same people need an answer so they can put blame on someone to begin their lawsuit.

That's true.

Reconstruction is gonna move a lot of money in the coming months too. That would be the ~only~ positive in this entire disaster, if there was one.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Didn't Cosby/Cobbly Knob take a hard hit as well? Was that from wind driven embers? Or did one of the other fires burn all that way?

FJB & FJT
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 4winds
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

And in so many facets of life.

each succeeding generation in this culture is becoming more dependent on the system and less on themselves in times of emergency or dire straights. that's one reason why so many people in the cities are begging for more gun regulation.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The Chimney Top fire is at least 8-10 miles by road from Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge is another 5 miles. Probably closer in a direct line. That fire and been burning for several days. I don't know how they were supposed to predict winds blowing embers for 5-10 miles. Or in which direction.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think you can give much warning time when you get hit with 75mph winds

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

They state that if given an earlier warning, it could have saved more property and lives.

Sheep to slaughter, that is all they are capable of being. They will never figure out how to do for themselves.

Soon you will hear bichin' about how they have no help to reconstruct their lives.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, and if a frog had wings.......

Until near forced out, most folks will hang in to the bitter end.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/08/16.

1Minute
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Any info on the suspected arsonists?

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by g5m
Any info on the suspected arsonists?

Dead in their cell yet?

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Reminds me of all the people that died in the south tower because they were told everything was OK.

F*ck that, I don't need to be told anything. The moment the plane hit the north tower I would have been moving my ass out of the south tower.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have delivered in Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Sevierville for the last 22 years with UPS. I have a LOT of friends who lost everything. Its indescribable to see what has happened in Gatlinburg. Yeah, you can see the stuff on the news, but until you get up there and see it for yourself and how everything is burned....well, its incredible.

I know those roads like the back of my hand and in my minds eye I can remember what most every address looked like. There are 2465 structures destroyed now.

I had friends who were up there on Monday, texting back and forth, and they all called our boss and told him they were gonna beat feet and get the hell out of town. This was at 2:30 - 3:00. The smoke there was bad and the fire was still 10 miles away.

This is a picture of my route in Sevierville at almost 5 o'clock and I'm 25 miles as the crow flies from the fires.[Linked Image]

Here is an updated map of how many buildings were destroyed in the fire.
http://www.arcgis.com/apps/PublicInformation/index.html?appid=8c18c70f55ac4f81b683454fc7573d76

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by 1minute
Yes, and if a frog had wings.......

Until near forced out, most folks will hang in to the bitter end.

That's the hardest part usually. Firefighters have no authority to force evacuation.

I am MAGA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 43 invisible), 2,670 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,910
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.