24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So sitting around the campfire at deer camp, me and my buddies were talking about trying a mule deer or elk hunt. We are all from MS so have no idea how to even start.

Whats the best way to go about this. We dont want a canned hunt for sure. Public land? If chances are much lower with a public land hunt, thats fine. It will be more about hunting with friends than about the actual kill. Seeing new country.

Questions I have.

1. Where?
2. License / fees - when and where
3. Lodging - motel 8?
4. Time of the year
5. Costs

To make it worth the trip, likely a week of hunting. Is a $2k trip realistic?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've hunted twice in NV and found the quality of the hunts to be much better than elsewhere I've tried. They've got open country and good numbers and quality of game. You need to apply and it takes time...

LOL
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My advice to you is just go do it. If not you'll be sitting around the campfire in ten years still talking about.

I would pick a OTC elk unit in colorado. Put in for a deer tag in that unit also and just go.

Public land hunt should cost slightly less than $2000 when it's all said and done.

Dink

Last edited by DINK; 12/08/16.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Also anyone that says they want to go and then backs out when it's time to put in for tags or when it gets close to time leave without a really good reason never gets invited to go again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 12/08/16.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the info.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by DINK
My advice to you is just go do it. If not you'll be sitting around the campfire in ten years still talking about.

^ That right there.

Are you talking combo hunt or one of the two? If you're talking both Montana is a good destination because they sell combo tags.

If you're talking one or the other I'd decide on a primary and secondary target... is the focus gonna be elk or mule deer? That'll help narrow down areas.

I'd look at draw entry deadlines for Montana, Colorado, and Wyoming so you can plan to have choices narrowed in time. They're right around the corner for the first and last I don't know about Colorado.

Colorado is a place you can get OTC elk tags. Montana & Wyoming are draw, but the former is easier to get a general tag and you can hunt designated wilderness areas without a guide unlike Wyoming.

Good luck!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Not necessarily a combo hunt. But if the area has both, don't want to be elk hunting and have to watch a trophy Mule trophy walk off because I don't have the tag. Paying for both tags and only using one is fine with me.

Primary would be elk for me.

Thanks for the replies.

Dave

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dave:

First Things First: Learn to camp at home. Car camping is so easy that there's not too much to learn. Eventually learn to backpack. Once you've mastered those skills, MILLIONS of acres of public land hunting is available to you in the Rocky Mountain states.

I'll send you via PM, an article which I have posted so many times that regulars are tired of seeing it.

I'll also re-post the articles that PaulBarnard posted. Lots of good info there.

https://www.montanadecoy.com/news/find-the-best-colorado-otc-elk-hunting-units

http://www.backcountrychronicles.com/colorado-otc-elk-tags/

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/10-best-places-kill-elk-u-s/

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
The good thing about colorado is you can apply for your deer tag and then decide if you want a elk tag too.

A lot of the guys that go will only buy one tag.

I try to hunt west every year and it's hard trying to get good guys to go. Most would rather pizz thier money away right now than save it for a hunt.

Dink

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
1. Where? - Rocky Mountain states; Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, would be on the top of my list. Utah, Arizona are also good but there's not as much good habitat. It's hard to get tags in New Mexico and Nevada.

2. License / fees - Colorado OTC bull elk tag, mule deer tag and habitat stamp will cost about $900, for a nonresident. Go to their web sites to find deadlines for draw applications. It was April 5th, 2016 in Colorado.

3. Lodging - motel 8? - don't try to hunt from a motel. Learn to camp.

4. Time of the year - Fall. Dates vary from state to state. Multiple opportunities.

5. Costs - $2,000 for tags and R/T gas from MS, plus some extras, is a reasonable estimate for a week of public land hunting if you camp.

To make it worth the trip, likely a week of hunting. Is a $2k trip realistic? - yes

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by DINK

I try to hunt west every year and it's hard trying to get good guys to go. Most would rather pizz thier money away right now than save it for a hunt.

Dink

That right there BIG TIME.

Many guys will say, "aw man you're so lucky to get to do that I just can't because ________ whine snivel whine..." while pissing money (and vacation time) away on BS.

Luck has nothing to do with it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In Idaho, you can buy OTC elk and deer tags for the same time and place. A lot the elk hunts in southern ID are by lottery but there are lots of OTC hunts available, too. In general, most of the deer in so. ID are mulies and in no. ID are whitetails. There is LOTS of overlap. In general, deer and elk seasons will overlap for 2 weeks, with many exceptions.

Non-res fees are:
license 155
elk tag 417
deer tag 302 (non-res hunters can use a deer tag on a bear, cougar or wolf)
bear 186
wolf 32

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
In Idaho, you can buy OTC elk and deer tags for the same time and place. A lot the elk hunts in southern ID are by lottery but there are lots of OTC hunts available, too. In general, most of the deer in so. ID are mulies and in no. ID are whitetails. There is LOTS of overlap. In general, deer and elk seasons will overlap for 2 weeks, with many exceptions.

Non-res fees are:
license 155
elk tag 417
deer tag 302 (non-res hunters can use a deer tag on a bear, cougar or wolf)
bear 186
wolf 32

He's just joking, stick with CO

100% Public land DIY!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you want to hunt elk,forget about the deer tag.Elk hunting has to be 100% committed. You can kill deer anywhere.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
90 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.