Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
What is your experience on pests and game with these two rounds? Is the noise level similar between the two? How does the noise compare to air rifles? What rifles have you shot them through? How do you get the CB to feed?

Thanks for any light you can shine on these two low-noise rimfire rounds.

RS

BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The CCI Cb's are quiet out of my marlin Model 25 feed good too. They require a close to the eyeball hit to be lethal . I have no experience with the others....

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've used the CB caps for years in my 22 designed to shoot S-L-LR cartridges with no problem. I like the CCI Quiet-22 for use in my LR only guns. Most of them will manually feed just fine. Only exception is the dang Sig Sauer Mosquito which doesn't like much anyway.

They are accurate and lethal at appropriate ranges. When I lived in town I used them in my backyard to control a dog size pest problem without alerting the neighborhood. Very effective.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
CB shorts out of my 67 Winchester makes less noise than an airgun. Deadly out to about 25 yards.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I run what I think are 0074... sub sonic pre frag hps from CCI.

What I can say is they kill turkeys dead to about 150 with a body shot that hits the vitals. And dang sure do if you hit the head or neck 150 or closer.

I"m really happy with them. Waiting on them to come to a normal price and available in a case and I"ll grab a full case of them.

Noise I can't comment really, but these are about 1050 fps not the 710 ones. I run them with a suppressor. Run the 710s with suppressor too so no help there either.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've only got the CCI Quiets in the solid RN... Would like to find and try the segmented ones to give a try.

Regarding the CB's vs. the Quiets... the CB's are 29 grain bullets and the Quiets are 40 grain.

Benching them... I find the Quiets as well as the CB's the accuracy falls off rapidly after 25 yards.

I shoot the Quiets in my 24+ inch CZ and no suppressor is needed, shoot them in a pistol or a 16 inch barrel and they are loud, though still not as loud as subsonic or Hi-Speed 22LR.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I tested the quite 22's out of the box and swaging with my swage/hollow point tool. Bring them to a new level of killing with a hollow point. Shot some squirrels with out of the box and swaged, they died faster swaged/hollow pointed and the accuracy is alot better to boot. Out of a 24" barrel there quite, they shoot 5.75" lower than federal 711 target at 50 yards so I have a 22 sighted in just for them. They grouped 1" plus unaltered and under 3/8" swaged @ 50 yards. I won't even buy CB longs anymore, never tried the segmented quite 22s. If someone can post a pic for me I can show what they look like before and after swaging.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've shot a lot of CB's and a few boxes of the Quiet Segmented. The CB's are quieter for sure, but not considerably. I shoot them in a Mossberg 44.

Those segmented rounds do things that have to be seen to be believed.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

With CB shorts, sound is like a BB gun from a 24" or longer barrel.

Power is wimpy. Hit raccoons in the brain, hit squirrels in the front 1/3.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had great success with CB longs. They are accurate out of my S&W 17 and Chipmunk. Been used on a lot of red squirrels, raccoons and a couple of feral cats. I've been using these for a lot of years.
Just started trialing the Quiet bullets and have big hopes for them. The bullet seems to make more noise when it hits a plywood backstop at 25 yards, than it did at firing. I'm using an old Remington Youth special bolt action.
Recently found the segmented version, but due to deer season, have yet to fire any. Seems like a great concept.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
None of the segmented .22s I've tried have been as accurate as HP or solid ammo, but the difference might not be important for some purposes.

The Quiet .22s are pretty accurate in my rifle, but I've only used them for targets.

I'm glad I bought a couple K before the street price went up!

Last edited by Pappy348; 12/08/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RipSnort
What is your experience on pests and game with these two rounds? Is the noise level similar between the two? How does the noise compare to air rifles? What rifles have you shot them through? How do you get the CB to feed? Thanks for any light you can shine on these two low-noise rimfire rounds. RS

I've shot thousands of the CB longs, a brick of the Quiet-22 Segmented, and thousands of the CCI .22 Subsonic 40gr HP.

For accuracy, in every .22lr rifle I've tried them in, the CCI .22 Subsonic 40gr HP is the clear winner.
It is as quiet as the CCI Quiet-22 Segmented, louder than the CB Long, and costs the same as either of them.
The Subsonics disappeared for almost two years during the worst of the .22 hoarding, but have reappeared at the same prices I was paying pre-hoarding.

The CB Longs kill as effectively out to 25 yards as any solid RN .22 can. That's where their accuracy really starts to come apart as opposed to the Subsonics. They truly are as quiet as most BB guns when fired from a rifle. They will not reliably cycle any autoloader I've tried them in, so manually working the action is required.

The Quiet-22 Segmented is a big disappointment for me. Not as accurate in any of my rifles as the Subsonics, no quieter than them,
nor do they kill as effectively with body shots to Raccoons and 'Possums. They do cycle the autoloaders I've tried them in.

The bearing surface on the Subsonics is longer than the other two and slightly longer than most 40gr .22lr which allows it to slightly engage the rifling upon chambering.

I ran out of CCI Green Tag long ago and the Subsonics have taken the place for my target shooting and varmint control around the house.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
For the price different, all most doubled for the segmented quite 22s I'll shoot the round nose with a hollow point

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by gemby58
I tested the quite 22's out of the box and swaging with my swage/hollow point tool. Bring them to a new level of killing with a hollow point. Shot some squirrels with out of the box and swaged, they died faster swaged/hollow pointed and the accuracy is alot better to boot. Out of a 24" barrel there quite, they shoot 5.75" lower than federal 711 target at 50 yards so I have a 22 sighted in just for them. They grouped 1" plus unaltered and under 3/8" swaged @ 50 yards. I won't even buy CB longs anymore, never tried the segmented quite 22s. If someone can post a pic for me I can show what they look like before and after swaging.

What is the hollow point tool you use? got any info?

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
When I could buy them I always kept CCI CB caps. I have a savage Mark 2 with a scope on it sighted in for 18 yards with them. I use it to shoot squirrels off my bird feeder out the back door. If the x is on their head they drop stone dead and it makes less noise than a fly swatter. I have killed a couple of ground hogs with them too that were feeding in my garden. I've never tried the quiet ammo but if I ever run across them again I'll buy 500 cb caps.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wow.
Did you make that or buy it?
If bought, where or who from?

[Linked Image]

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 92 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.