Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I don't know why, but I felt like shooting in 17* weather and don't you know it! As soon as I get loaded up an ready, the very light cloud layer says, lets snow on him! It got pretty good at one point I had to stop long enough till the wind died down enough that I could see my target. Nothing really built up, just a good wind blow snow that opened up to clear blue skies after I went back inside.

Anyway, I wanted to test my flintlock in this weather so I took 70gr Olde Eynsford 2fg charges, .020" patches lubed very thinly with my anti rust patch lube & also my buckskinners lube ( no i do not mix these lubes together lol) , 4fg goex and a freshly cleaned rifle. Had a couple shots get away from me, I think the wind blown snow got into my pan powder as I was charging the rifle and I got a couple very slight delays, but enough to throw me off.

I also got a much better hold on my rifle where I could get a solid cheek/shoulder weld and that really helped me out with flinching and my accuracy greatly improved to where I even shocked myself LOL.
[Linked Image]

Top 4 shots are with my anti rust patch lube ( notice how both groups have a pulled shot? Those were the 2 slight delayed shots I got) Bottom 4 are with my buckskinners patch lube. Rendezvous will be fun next year with a group like that! Now to get practicing shooting that group off hand LOL.
[Linked Image]

Stupid day to go out shooting! My reloading hand got to cold it turned red and swelled up.
[Linked Image]

At no time did I ever take the time to wipe the frizzen/flint or even the pan clean, it was to cold for that crap.
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot at zero and below and it was noticeably slower. I don't know if the springs were tight or what, but certainly slower.
If it is wet I mix a water proof powder in my primer. That also makes a delay, but it literally makes water run off the powder like a ducks back. Better slow than just a click.

Last edited by Terryk; 12/07/16.
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
FWIW when I run the primitive snowshoe biathlons w/ my muzzleloader I use a 62-cal 48" club butt musket that loves a charge of FFFg as the charge powder. Have run in temps in high single digits once and in the teens 2 or 3 times and never had a slow-fire.

All of my MZL'drs will shoot into ONE ragged hole ALL day long ... it's just those darn 2nd & 3rd+ shots that tend to open up my groups!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Offhand shooting with a flintlock is one of the toughest shooting skills to master, I still look for a tree to lean against.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ready to make meat!

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by TomM1
Offhand shooting with a flintlock is one of the toughest shooting skills to master, I still look for a tree to lean against.

Wooden "flints", a ton of dry fire, and some safety glasses helped me reconcile my head on this after YEARS of struggles. Now I can run the flinter pretty good. Usually. wink

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Havent thought of that in all the times Ive shouldered mine and thought, wish I could dry fire it...Thanks.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Take a spring-powered clothespin. Lop off the tail end of one of the ends you squeeze. If you have a bigger lock, use both ends. Fix them in the jaws like a flint, and you're good to go.

Some recommend a rubber eraser, but I found that they get beat to snot in a hurry. Wood works better, imho.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I was out trying to sight in my 36 flinter for a rabbit hunt . it was -15C . I couldn't get much accuracy cuz I think the patch and lube was freezing in the barrel. anyone here have a cold weather lube that might work ?

Life sucks , and then you die!
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I use the mink oil by Track of the Wolf as my Winter time and hunting patch lube. Never have had it freeze up on me yet!

FWIW when I'll volunteer as a judge at the last shooting station for the Winter primitive snowshoe biathlons we run here in New England, during one 17-degree day I had no less than 8 ramrods broken at my station in a 3-hour shift; 7 using Bore Butter and the other spit patching.

I had my steel-cored wooden-coated ramrod by 'Primitive Ramrod' with me, plus some liquid Hoppes BP Patch Lube placed tight inside my clothing to stay liquid from my body heat, plus a tin of TOW's mink oil ... and all shooters were at least able to load and complete the course.

For the steel-core ramrods, see: http://www.periodramrod.com/index.html

Last edited by Flint62Smoothie; 12/25/16.

All of my MZL'drs will shoot into ONE ragged hole ALL day long ... it's just those darn 2nd & 3rd+ shots that tend to open up my groups!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Flint62Smoothie
I use the mink oil by Track of the Wolf as my Winter time and hunting patch lube. Never have had it freeze up on me yet!

FWIW when I'll volunteer as a judge at the last shooting station for the Winter primitive snowshoe biathlons we run here in New England, during one 17-degree day I had no less than 8 ramrods broken at my station in a 3-hour shift; 7 using Bore Butter and the other spit patching.

I had my steel-cored wooden-coated ramrod by 'Primitive Ramrod' with me, plus some liquid Hoppes BP Patch Lube placed tight inside my clothing to stay liquid from my body heat, plus a tin of TOW's mink oil ... and all shooters were at least able to load and complete the course.

For the steel-core ramrods, see: http://www.periodramrod.com/index.html

Superb link.

VT course?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Yes, at the Smugglers Notch event in Jeffersonville, VT.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 48 invisible), 3,282 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,292
Posts18,467,960
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.