Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Yep. 20" is a sweet spot for a Creedmoor in a hunting setup.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Any updates? Anyone else get a Howa Alpine?

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've held and fondled these rifle many times now and every time I say damn these feel great....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm thinking about trying one, I'd like a 6.5 CM in either a Kimber Hunter, a Kimber Montana or an Alpine. I've handled all three at the local SW, I think I like the Alpine's stock and floorplate magazine setup better, but I would prefer a 22" barrel. It seems like in terms of getting an out of the box shooter the Howa might be the best bet.

SMACK,
You said that your Alpine had a rough bore and coppered badly, has that stopped with continued shooting or is it still a problem? Are you able to shoot a reasonable number of rounds before the fouling affects accuracy?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My 308 has arrived, but have not been able to take delivery due to work and home commitments. Soon, though....

I did have on in my hands that belongs to a buddy. If it shoots as well as it seems to handle, then some other much larger rigs might be put out to pasture.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I want one too

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought one but have not popped off a cap yet, real soon!

Last edited by southwind; 12/11/16.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by okie john
My 308 has arrived, but have not been able to take delivery due to work and home commitments. Soon, though....

I did have on in my hands that belongs to a buddy. If it shoots as well as it seems to handle, then some other much larger rigs might be put out to pasture.

Okie John

Any updates? Can we get a review? These look like dandy hunting rifles.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
We've lost some time to family health issues, so I just picked it up yesterday. Hope to mount a scope and get to the range this week.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
very nice

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elelbean
Originally Posted by okie john

Okie John

Any updates? Can we get a review? These look like dandy hunting rifles.

I bought this Howa Alpine from SMACK and it is an absolute joy to shoot! I haven't spent a lot of time shooting paper to try and get the best groups but I sighted it in shooting factory Hornady 143 ELD-X and it's damn sure accurate enough for me

SMACK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Glad to see it's shooting well for you also!!! That barrel was a bear to break in! Took 70 or so rounds before it settled down and cleaned up well.

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Did the barrel smooth up nicely now? What was "wrong" with it to start with? And are all the Alpines suffering from that same affliction?

What's the barrel diameter at the muzzle?

SMACK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Did the barrel smooth up nicely now? What was "wrong" with it to start with? And are all the Alpines suffering from that same affliction?

It took about 70 rounds to break in and settle down. This particular barrel was rough out of the gate. I can't speak for any other " Howa Alpine's". Once it settled down it shot super well and cleaned up quick.

I can't recal the muzzle diameter. Huntsonora may jump in here and give you that dimension. Since he is the new owner. It went to a good home, I foresee it dirt napping some cool stuff in the future.😊

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by SMACK
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

It took about 70 rounds to break in and settle down. This particular barrel was rough out of the gate. I can't speak for any other " Howa Alpine's". Once it settled down it shot super well and cleaned up quick.

I can't recal the muzzle diameter. Huntsonora may jump in here and give you that dimension. Since he is the new owner. It went to a good home, I foresee it dirt napping some cool stuff in the future.😊

I got a Howa Alpine Mtn rifle in 308 to shoot quite well. That was with factory Federal GMM and Black Hills. Don't recall if it was 168 or 175 SMks. I ended up running some Tubbs Final Finish through it. Eventually it settled into a nice shooter. Didn't feed real well with the detachable mag though. Worked great with bottom metal. I really love the feel of the stock.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is an interesting thread and that's an impressive hunting rifle ... after bedding anyway. I prefer two-stage triggers and the ability to lock the bolt closed makes the Alpine very appealing. As another point of reference, I also use Reloder 17 for my 6.5 Creedmoor handloads with 140gr A-MAX or 140gr ELD bullets. I have a 24" barrel on an AI AW and am up around 2,900 fps suppressed and 2,850 without the suppressor with no pressure issues. Here are two 5-shot groups at 100 yards with the velocity data from a CED M2 chronograph and with a Dead Air Armament SANDMAN-S attached.

[Linked Image]

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Very good shooter. I have a Vanguard S2 in 6.5 Creedmoor, good shooter also.

SMACK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The Reloader 17, gives quite the speed increase over H4350. Reloader 17 has been shooting well in my 6mm Creedmoor also.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Have a 6.5 Creedmoor Alpine.
[Linked Image]

It shoots alright, but is finicky with 60 through it so far. I am going to bed it and see if it gets more consistent.

10 rounds of Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr ELD-X

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Formidilosus--nice rifle, what scope is that? I have a 243 I'm getting ready to scope her up! Thanks.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 21 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,506
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.