Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Someone who saw the deer after it was killed said it was full of holes, mostly as result of bad shooting, I suppose.

Laffin, that must have been a sight to behold...

My dad got excited one time and put all 5 of his .243 rounds in one, 14 would have taken some work..

This one, if you squint, you can see 3 maybe 4 hits, poor bastard wasn't gonna make it to the fence line...

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
I didn't even know they held 10 rounds!

I want a 96 more than anything. I kick myself for not buying them when they were being produced. All of them.

Travis

They hold 5. What I'm talking about is if you pickle off 5, then reload quick, and pickle off another 5.

You pretty much need a hat or rag to hold onto it and get the second 5 loaded, and by the time the second 5 leave the pipe, you pretty much can't touch anything metal forward of the bolt without a welding glove.

I'm exaggerating, but not that much. It gets really hot, really quick. I suspect that's at least part of the reason Ruger never messed with a large cap magazine version.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by rlott

I want a 96 more than anything. I kick myself for not buying them when they were being produced. All of them.

Travis

They hold 5. What I'm talking about is if you pickle off 5, then reload quick, and pickle off another 5.

You pretty much need a hat or rag to hold onto it and get the second 5 loaded, and by the time the second 5 leave the pipe, you pretty much can't touch anything metal forward of the bolt without a welding glove.

I'm exaggerating, but not that much. It gets really hot, really quick. I suspect that's at least part of the reason Ruger never messed with a large cap magazine version.

Didn't the 96 have a rotorary mag...or am I mistaken?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Originally Posted by rlott

Travis

Didn't the 96 have a rotorary mag...or am I mistaken?

Yes...rotary magazine....22 LR, 22 Mag, and 44 Mag 96 used same magazine as the semi-auto's......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Big Red had an inside spread of 30 and 2/8 inches,

2/8's inches? I had heard it was 5/10's.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Pops has a '66 Sporter. Has big bead front and a peep on receiver (standard folding rear also).
Cool gun, but bead too big to run last 75 yards.
He won't let me swap it out LOL.
IN went PCR a while back, I popped a button (thought it a doe).....DRT. Norma 236gr factory ammo, bought in '80.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by hookeye
Pops has a '66 Sporter. Has big bead front and a peep on receiver (standard folding rear also).
Cool gun, but bead too big to run last 75 yards.
He won't let me swap it out LOL.
IN went PCR a while back, I popped a button (thought it a doe).....DRT. Norma 236gr factory ammo, bought in '80.

I used to use Norma factory loads in my .44 carbine before I started loaded .44 mags. They used to put out a "Carbine Load" in boxes of 20. I got a box once in which one round had the bullet seated upside down.

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

Someone who saw the deer after it was killed said it was full of holes, mostly as result of bad shooting, I suppose.

Laffin, that must have been a sight to behold...

My dad got excited one time and put all 5 of his .243 rounds in one, 14 would have taken some work..

This one, if you squint, you can see 3 maybe 4 hits, poor bastard wasn't gonna make it to the fence line...

[Linked Image]

I'm always somewhat amused by game pictures with the weapon pointing at the hunter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BeanMan
I'm always somewhat amused by game pictures with the weapon pointing at the hunter.

Unloaded, bolt open..

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Wouldn't catch me doing it no matter what.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by memtb
In 1972 or 73 at the Howard Johnson's Hotel in New Orleans, a black guy, armed with a Ruger 44 carbine killed several police officers, a fireman or two and several civilians. A National Guard (I think) chopper was called in after a day or two standoff. They shot the hell out of the roof of the Hyatt, and killed the shooter. We weren't as "touchy - feely" back then! ! memtb

It was January 7, 1973, the shooter was a guy named Mark Essex, and he was armed with a Ruger .44 carbine. He didn't have much trouble hitting people. The incident has been likened to the Dallas police attacks. There is a lot of info on the Internet.

(As an aside, 5 months later, about a mile away from the HoJo sniper deal, the worst murder of gays in the U.S. prior to Orlando occurred at the Upstairs Lounge in N.O. It seems like 1973 all over again.)

Last edited by Cheyenne; 11/29/16.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Wouldn't catch me doing it no matter what.

Do you walk down range when the line is clear?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If the deer is still moving, then it gets shot until it isn't. I don't see a problem with that.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Cheyenne, Completely of topic but, in January 1972 there was a confrontation in Baton Rouge (I was working about 8 miles away that day), between Chicago based Black Muslims(a real shocker) and our local police. I knew one of the Sheriff's Deputies who was killed and one who was severely injured. A close friend( a Sargent in the Sheriff's Dept.),eliminated one of the threats and saved the tax payers of Louisiana a lot of money! Our local police upgraded their riot gear and their handguns soon after. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Save the cartridges for a S&W M29....and make a 'boat anchor' out of it!!

On of the biggest bucks that I ever killed was with a .30 carbine. Not my first choice, but when I got to deer camp the rear sight was broke on my 30-30, so I borrowed a gun. One shot at about 75 yards and a big 10 point down. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
notice that the original poster has disappeared.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife's uncle ate a lot of venison as the result of carrying a .44 mag Ruger carbine. He was a competitive shooter during his time in the Army and had lilttle trouble making that Ruger accurate and deadly. We were standing together one time when a 6 point came busting through the brush. He had a window about the size of a baseball glove to sneak a round through and hit that bugger on a dead run. It was dead before it even hit the ground. Clipped it right in the heart.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well no it wasn't dead before it hit the ground. But very close.

I really would like a 44 carbine to put a suppressor on, but that likely won't ever happen. Its a want, not a need.

Unless the safe hearing act happens and cans go down in price.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (338reddog, 4xbear, 673, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 450yukon, 16 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 996 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,187
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.