Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Ran some of this past one of the "local experts" at the gun shop. he said he had read some test results a while back that indicated the slower twist bullets like those out of a 45 70 are actually the worse. he indicated a faster twist bullet is more likely to stay on line better than the big slow bullets most people think would be better.....kinda makes sense.

GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by kraky111
Ran some of this past one of the "local experts" at the gun shop. he said he had read some test results a while back that indicated the slower twist bullets like those out of a 45 70 are actually the worse. he indicated a faster twist bullet is more likely to stay on line better than the big slow bullets most people think would be better.....kinda makes sense.

Sometime ago, one of the gunrags published a test comparing the performance of various bullets when shooting through wooden dowels. In this test the best performing bullets where big, high velocity bullets such those fired from a .338 Win Mag.

It the dowel impact was more than 2 feet in front of the target, it didn't matter what you used, due to deflection, you missed.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by PatagoniaHunter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
kraky,

There is one other, very remote possibility. At one point a year or so after the AccuBonds were introduced and immediately became VERY popular, one of the Nosler emloyees decided to speed up his place on the assembly line, to "help" fill the large number of orders. But that resulted in soft and unbonded bullets. Nosler, like all bullet companies, is constantly monitoring production, so the mistake was quickly caught and corrected. But some did make it out the door, and a few even made it into the hands of shooters. They often came apart as soon as they hit game. One of the symptoms of those bullets was some of the tips fell out, often several in a box. But that was around 10 years ago, and I haven't heard of any showing up for a long while.

Hello MD,

After reading this, I have a question: An Accubond not bonded is not a Ballistic Tip..? If it is, a 160 grs one at 2600/2700 fps muzzle velocity (7-08 and/or 7x57) should work very well!!!
Thank you!

PH

An Accubond that fails to bond is actually worse then a Ballistic tip. Part of the bonding process included the application of a flux between the core and jacket. When the bonding fails the flux creates corrosion bubbles between the jacket and core. If the bullets are let set for awhile, you will actually be able to see it where the lead meets the plastic tip. In addition to rapid separation of the core and jacket, it also causes terrible accuracy producing 6 to 12 inch groups at 100 yards. Yes, once upon a time I had some of there, might still have a few in the reloading room, but I still use Accbonds because Nosler fixed the problem.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Another problem: Most bonded big game bullets are created by heating, to slightly melt the cores and solder them to the jackets. But the heat also anneals the copper-alloy jacket, making it softer. As a result the defective AccuBonds were essentially much softer Ballistic Tips.

The number of faulty bullets was incredibly tiny compared to the total number of bullets produced, and the percentage that actually made into shooters hands was smaller yet. In fact I've never even seen any, despite having been shooting AccuBonds both before and after the incident, and none of several dozen companions shooting Accubonds when we hunted together had any problems.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I`ve killed exactly two deer with the 7mm accubond, one a bit over 200 and the other at 375. Both bullets wrer unrecovered, but left nice entry and exit holes. IME neither showed signs of blow-up.
Also used .25,.30, and 8mm cals on deer and the 8, on African game, with very good results.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Thank you MD and Antelope Sniper!

I have some (around 20) Accubond .30 180 grs, a friend gave me. Half of the bullets came with the white tips loose around in the bullet box.
I will use all in the rifle range, just in case.

PH

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
From the Nosler forum Bullet tests:

Originally Posted by "orchemo"
160 AB from a 280 Rem.

Range was 185 yds. Hit the bear face on and found the bullet opposite side behind the ribs inside the cutaneous fat. Broke the jaw and a few ribs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

https://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=16492

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The ugliest deer I ever shot was a 130 AB in 270 @ 100 yds. Quartering away and hit him behind the shoulder. Entrance hole I could put my fist in and exit in brisket I could put 2 fists in. More destructive than any ballistic tip I've ever used. Since this world is full of good bullets I put AB's on the back burner and still consider them on my schzit list. IME the Accubomb monacher is well deserved.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
kraky,

Your buddy's story reminds me of a conversation I had with a guy from Pennsylvania many years ago. He told me the .308 Winchester was a POS deer cartridge, because he'd shot two bucks, each in the heart, with a .308 and never found either deer.

Mule Deer we are pretty dumb here in PA but some of us here know that is highly unlikely whistle (unless of course the moron never followed up his shot??!)

PennDog

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, the moron never hit either deer in the heart--or possibly any place else.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Actually MD I have seen far too many deer unrecovered here in PA because the shooter felt the deer wasn't hit - because it ran off (out of sight - which happens quickly in wooded areas of PA) only to have someone else (I've found at least a dozen in my hunting career) find it mortally wounded with a heart/lung shot....it is a shame how uneducated some are.

Although the guy that actually thinks he hit the deer in the heart AND thinks the cartridge is to blame is of bird of a whole different color (neither one has anything to be proud of)!

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 12/11/16.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
only bullet I use in my 7MM mag, Along with Retumbo,
or Norma powder. Accubond also works good in my 270 Winchester.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,282
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.