Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone else having any trouble finding any? Live near Green Bay Wisconsin, and the on the shelf BH 209 supply has dried up.

Just returned from a successful mule deer hunt and have just a few pre-measured loads left.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Chainsaw
Anyone else having any trouble finding any? Live near Green Bay Wisconsin, and the on the shelf BH 209 supply has dried up.

Just returned from a successful mule deer hunt and have just a few pre-measured loads left.

Most outlets here have it

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I bought my inline during the crunch and began picking up a jug here and there until I had enough. Unlike 777, BH doesn't have shelf-life issues.

If you shoot a good bit or have friends that use it too, you can buy a bunch online. The savings will pay for the hazmat.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought some at Fleet Farm in Appleton a few weeks ago. Let me know if you can't find any as I have most of a pound left. I believe Scheel's is a little cheaper but I try to stay away from the mall this time of year.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RandyR
I bought some at Fleet Farm in Appleton a few weeks ago. Let me know if you can't find any as I have most of a pound left. I believe Scheel's is a little cheaper but I try to stay away from the mall this time of year.

Randy, Thanks for the kind offer but I have till next year to procure some BH 209. Might backorder the Cabelas 4 pk and save a bit on it. ($32.50 each in a 4 pk)

Copy you on FR Mall.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RandyR

Randy, Thanks for the kind offer but I have till next year to procure some BH 209. Might backorder the Cabelas 4 pk and save a bit on it. ($32.50 each in a 4 pk)

Copy you on FR Mall.

Cabelas 4 pack is 10 oz bottles; Powder Valley & MidSouth Shooters both have 5 lb jugs for $199

What would Porter Rockwell do?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just started using Blackhorn. The way my Encore shot it I may buy the 5# jug. Best results I have ever had with my Encore. Thanks for the tip on the 5# suppliers

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I can find it ok where I am, problem is that most places are $43-$46 for a 10oz jug. I'm gonna break down and get a 5lb jug next time.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Bought the only jug in Augusta,WV yesterday for $33.95 but the shop owner says he can get more. Only other sources I found are 2+ hours away.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Bought the only jug in Augusta,WV yesterday for $33.95 but the shop owner says he can get more. Only other sources I found are 2+ hours away.

Valley Guns II in Inwood seems to usually have it. Still a haul, I know, but not two hours.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have quit the Blackhorn scene, with 66% of a jug remaining.

Use Goex FFF all the time now. Hopefully Bass Pro Shop will continue to sell it. It's several dollars less than Blackhorn and I get 6oz more per jug.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn
I have quit the Blackhorn scene, with 66% of a jug remaining.

Use Goex FFF all the time now. Hopefully Bass Pro Shop will continue to sell it. It's several dollars less than Blackhorn and I get 6oz more per jug.

What are your results with the Goex compared to the Blackhorn? Advantages or Goex?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Advantage is Goex FFF goes bang every time and no hesitation/hang in bad weather..... and yes, I use the proper, Blackhorn-approved breechplugs in my Knight and T/C

Also, no more semi quiet sounding ''poof'' instead of a loud bang, and the bullet only flies 30 yards away. This is when Blackhorn doesn't like loose-fitting heavy conical loads.
Blackhorn doesn't care for loose sabots in the bore or powder that is not compacted firmly. It will lose energy on ignition.

It's just too picky for me and I already mentioned it's additional price tag at the register.

But for those that load the bullet to Blackhorn specs and only use one bullet and one powder charge constantly, well then Blackhorn shines there. But I prefer to shoot a wide variety of bullets every year and varying powder charges. Goex allows that without recourse. Not so with Blackhorn. It tells you what it likes and does not / will not compromise.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I bought a percussion ignition kit for my Knight to use with BP and lead conicals. I know priners will work fine, but just wanted to have options. I've got most of a pound of Goex FFG, but plan to get the Olde Eynesford as it's supposed to be a bit cleaner and more energetic. There's a large BP dealer nearby that caters to skirmishers.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn
Advantage is Goex FFF goes bang every time and no hesitation/hang in bad weather..... and yes, I use the proper, Blackhorn-approved breechplugs in my Knight and T/C

Also, no more semi quiet sounding ''poof'' instead of a loud bang, and the bullet only flies 30 yards away. This is when Blackhorn doesn't like loose-fitting heavy conical loads.
Blackhorn doesn't care for loose sabots in the bore or powder that is not compacted firmly. It will lose energy on ignition.

It's just too picky for me and I already mentioned it's additional price tag at the register.

But for those that load the bullet to Blackhorn specs and only use one bullet and one powder charge constantly, well then Blackhorn shines there. But I prefer to shoot a wide variety of bullets every year and varying powder charges. Goex allows that without recourse. Not so with Blackhorn. It tells you what it likes and does not / will not compromise.

Thanks for the reply GoexBlackhorn. I can see your reasoning and I agree the price is alot higher than any other powder I have bought.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Seeing plenty of bh209 around the salt lake valley sporting goods shops.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Backordered a 4 pack of BH 209 and received it in a week from Cabelas. All the same lot#

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
A lot of crap on blackhorn even triple seven good old black powder the way to go

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Backordered a 4 pack of BH 209 and received it in a week from Cabelas. All the same lot#

Speaking of that, and at the risk of a hijack, has anybody seen a lot-to-lot difference? That would mean something in a limited-supply situation.

I just re-entered the ML arena again after about a 12-year absence, and like BH's characteristics. Having loaded CF rifle cartridges naturally led to the lot number question.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

Speaking of that, and at the risk of a hijack, has anybody seen a lot-to-lot difference? That would mean something in a limited-supply situation.

I just re-entered the ML arena again after about a 12-year absence, and like BH's characteristics. Having loaded CF rifle cartridges naturally led to the lot number question.

Addressing the OP's question first around my area it seems hit and miss.I picked up three canisters at Cabelas Omaha the other day they said they have a standing BO but never know when it's coming.

Vic,I've not noticed any lot to lot difference yet but I strictly use it in metallic cartridges 45 Colt,45/70 and 45/90.Characteristics pretty much mirror BP but it does light better with magnum primers as the data suggest.

It's basically a duplex blend of KIK black and something else. KIK from what I understand is no longer available or imported in the US so knowing this I emailed Western Powders Inc. and the reply was no change in chemistry or formula.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,778
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.