Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Have you ever sold a gun you regret? I had a Rem700 C grade, heavy barrel, in 25-06. Needed money. I have been kicking myself in ass for years. Dumbass!!!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, mine was a Model 77 in .257 Roberts, barrel stamp "made in the 200th year of American Liberty" starving college student at the time, about 40 years ago

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh please! if I had a nickel for every time I did that! frown

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Marlin 1894p .44 Mag

Matt

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
have committed more sins of commission and omission related to guns compared to anyone. so many i should i have bought but didn't. so many sold that shouldn't have been.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
A heavy-barrel 77 Ruger .25-06 that shot 75 grain Sierra HP's into bugholes at obscene speeds; a pre WWII 94 Winchester .32 Special that was like new/no box; a Belgian Browning A5, 3" 12 gauge

After those I quit getting rid of guns except to give them to family and friends.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sell a gun! That's blasphemy!

Guns are not to be sold... you only buy guns.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sold every .270 Win that I won in a drawing or took in on trade, but never suffered any remorse. grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sold a few but never looked back. Sold one of them twice but it came back after a few months. It never shot factory ammo well, but hums with handloads. Such is life.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hanco
Have you ever sold a gun you regret? I had a Rem700 C grade, heavy barrel, in 25-06. Needed money. I have been kicking myself in ass for years. Dumbass!!!

Yes to:
1422 Anschutz match 54 action
1949 Brno model 21 7x57
1956 Brno ZG47 .270
1920's era Waffen Fabrik Oberndorf 7x57 single square bridge factory fitted with Zeiss Zielvier in Akah claw mounts
numerous 1958 Brno model 5
Brno model 4
1920's era Mauser 22lr
Select fire Colt AR15 with Colt scope
1960's era Brno ZKK in .243 with factory pop-up peep sight
Kimber 82 in 22lr
Beretta 410 poachers gun
numerous early Tikka and Sako

Do not regret the sale of any of the Remington, not even the two 40XBR's and the XP100 action.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by roundoak
Sold every .270 Win that I won in a drawing or took in on trade, but never suffered any remorse. grin

My regret to the OP's question was a 270grin, a beautiful 100% condition 1962 year model Browning Safari Medallion, it was flawless, along with it's little gloss 2-7 Leupold in the factory engraved rings, would bughole 150 gr Partitions in calm winds. cry

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've gotten rid of very few guns, but one trade haunts me. Back in the early '90s American Arms imported a limited run of their over/unders in 24ga and 32ga. Basically low end Fausti's. I bought one of each with a case of ammo for each. Other than the gauges, there was nothing special about them and they were pretty cheap looking. I just love odd-ball stuff. I shot clays with them some and a few doves and squirrels. About 10 years ago, a fellow co-worker at our gun shop was pestering the crap out of me to sell them to him. I kept turning him down. He offered to trade me a pre-64 Winchester in .338, then a Weatherby .224 and I was tempted but passed. Then one day we got in a sales flyer that listed Weatherby Ultra-Lights in .338-06 on closeout. I had wanted one but they had all dried up. The flyer said they had two left but my fun money was shot. I showed it to Tom and told him if he was game, I'd trade him the two shotguns for it and two boxes of ammo. He took it back to the boss man, they made a call and the deal was done. He kept them awhile then traded them off to somebody else. I really like the Weatherby but regret getting rid of those shotguns because they were so unique. If I ever get rich, yeah right, I'll have a pair of high end guns made in 24 and 32....

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Savage 24
I sold 2 -- then they stopped making them

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Have you ever sold a gun you regret? ....

A Marlin 336RC in 30-30 (an early one)... the gun I used when I first started deer hunting... needed safe room. UGhh!!

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
1902 half octagon barreled Savage 1899 in 30-30.. yeah, I regret that one.

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I hunted with a Remington 700 ADL 30-06 for thirty years. It was pretty beat up. One day I decided that I owed myself a new rifle and I sold the old war horse. I regret selling that rifle. I should have saved it to give to my grandson. I bought him a new rifle but it would have been fun to pass down that old relic and create a family heirloom.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by claybreaker
Have you ever sold a gun you regret? ....

A Marlin 336RC in 30-30 (an early one)... the gun I used when I first started deer hunting... needed safe room. UGhh!!

I found one of those old waffle top 336's with the Ballard cut rifling in a gun shop a few years ago. It even had an old steel Lyman receiver sight on it. I had to bring it home with me.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I traded a nice DWM Luger for a new Mini-14 back when they first came out.

I wish I had that back.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sako AII 22-250 with gorgeous wood I carried for 25 years.

Savage 99EG 30-30.

Too many more to remember.But like they say, you can't have your cake and eat it too, so it's the gun or the money but not both.

LOL
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I generally don't look back, but occasionally think about that 4 digit Ruger #1 in .243... frown

Don't even remember what I traded it for. I'm sure I thought it was the thing to do at that time... wink

DF

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by cra1948
A heavy-barrel 77 Ruger .25-06 that shot 75 grain Sierra HP's into bugholes at obscene speeds; a pre WWII 94 Winchester .32 Special that was like new/no box; a Belgian Browning A5, 3" 12 gauge

After those I quit getting rid of guns except to give them to family and friends.

that's where I am. as well

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Me too......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I traded a sporter Rem 40XB, .22LR some years ago.

I don't regret the trade, really didn't like the gun.

But, I see what they're selling for now... shocked

They weren't that expensive back then.

I don't miss the gun, just the money I left on the table... grin

DF

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Oldman03

I've sold a lot of my guns over the last 30 years mainly to pay bills or to fund a new build. I regret ever selling all of them. I had some handguns that have collector value now...except I am no longer the collector/owner of said firearms. Five years ago I decided I would never again sell one of my guns. Thus far, other than unloading a Gary Reeder big bore single action revolver that was a travesty, I have not sold a another firearm. I have, however, managed to begin building my collection again. I just have to save the $$$ over the long haul, rather than selling one of my guns, to purchase the firearm I want. I'm a bit impatient, so it's always a struggle to not sell one of my guns at an average 20% to 30% loss to get the funds to purchase the newest firearm I fancy.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've sold a couple of .22's, and two shotguns that I'm happy are gone. The one I regret was a Savage-Stevens bolt action 30-30, my first deer rifle, which I bought from the hardware store for $79. Why did I ever trade that in on the Red Label, which I still have?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There was a time every time I bought a new gun I had to sell one to pay for it. I'll name a few . Colt Python I bought for 90.00 dollars in the 60's. Hi power in the 60's. A couple of 40x's I got tired of shooting. I could go on but it's going to make me throw up. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Right on brother Randy!

I've always gotten it in my head...

that I don't sell my firearms....

I do have a habit of giving one or two away occasionally to someone in need...

but thankfully I've never been in position to have to sell any to just survive....

I've given all of them to my son anyway.....I have no need to 'own' a firearm any more anyway....I can borrow the use of one if needed.... whistle

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Can't say I regret selling/trading any, as by the time I make the decision for one to vacate I've had my fun with it.

I do regret not buying a closeout Steyr Professional NIB for $500 when the SBS launched. I also regret not buying a used Merkel 47 20ga for ~$1,500 circa 2002.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sold a couple that I'd like back for sentimental reasons.

Colt Woodsman in the box with instructions and plastic backstrap filler, that and a Browning Challenger with beautiful grips that I bought in 1968 for the princely sum of $75.

Mostly I regret selling run of the mill stuff that I did not realize would command ridiculous prices these days, otherwise I'd have bought a buttload of Nylon 66's, Rem 788's and maybe a few Savage 340's. Plus a half dozen each of Colt Pythons and Diamondbacks in .22 and .38.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Yep, my theory too. I"ve sold only a few. 788 in 308 that was to pay a bill to me. SHould have kept it but no big deal really.

Sold a Redhawk once short on cash to upgrade to a 329PD. No loss there at all.

Sold 2-270s was given to pay bills... and then won one of the damn things... so decided it was for a reason, kept it, put a cheap scope on it, loaded some ammo and its now a loaner. Really should have paid to trade it for a 223 at the time... but had the idea I'd have it rebored anyway, and then the reboring guy said no way in hell he would ever try to rebore a ruger american ever again.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My biggest mistake was selling this 98 Mauser 6.5X55 Swede

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All of them and that is too many to list! frown frown frown

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Me too .... it's just one of those mistakes we all make

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

In my case, I run out of room, my safes are full.

If I want something different or new, I have no problem turning inventory into a new project.

If I never sold or traded anything, I'd have a major storage problem.

I guess it depends on now active a trader.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Hotload

Me too .... it's just one of those mistakes we all make

That is odd, for me it has always been the need for money.

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many times. Ar-15 Varmint build and a Savage .243 build are the ones that immediately come to mind.

Kelly
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Ruger 77v .25-06. Fiddle back stock from fore-end tip to butt pad. Damn, I wish I hadn't. Don't anymore!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
Originally Posted by cra1948

that's where I am. as well

got 22 years in with this company, making good $$$$, no need to sell

HOWEVER ... I wonder about the retirement.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
yep back in 2007, I bought a brand new Ruger NO 1A in 7mm rem mag, couldn't get it to group, so I sold it, Big Mistake, I should of had the work done to make it accurate, still kick myself for that, I will never sell a gun again

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by gunner500

My regret to the OP's question was a 270grin, a beautiful 100% condition 1962 year model Browning Safari Medallion, it was flawless, along with it's little gloss 2-7 Leupold in the factory engraved rings, would bughole 150 gr Partitions in calm winds. cry

Oh yeah those Belgium made Brownings were to die for.I had one in 7 Rem.mag with super wood!!! shocked

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I came across a 4 digit Ruger Deerslayer 44 mag carbine and bought it. This was the name of the gun before Ithaca sued them and made them change the name to just Carbine. An avid Ruger collector just had to have it and I sold it. Well last year Michigan changed their law and allowed 44 mag rifles to be used in the southern zone. If I had that rifle it would be perfect for my southern Michigan hunting spot. Being a first year gun, accurate, and functionally perfect would have been my cup of tea. Bummer.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There's more I regret having ever bought.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I can only remember one I am not sorry I let go.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep..

NH Winch M70 Classic FWT SS/Walnut in 22-250..

My ass is still sore... mad

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Done it several times...... E

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have bought and sold many. Really no regrets. I just try to keep getting better guns and sell the ones that I really don't shoot anymore.

NRA Patron
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Gotta be plural.....literally dozens and dozens, but you have to get over it, and remember that the sale or trade, allowed you to play with something new.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i've sold hundreds that i wish i had back. like the 10 nib nylon 66 remington 22's that i bought in the 80's for 400.00,yeah 40.00 each.store closing that a friend managed.99.00 for nib 870 wingmasters,149.00 for new 1100 remingtons. i think i bought 5each of both.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sold a Rem 788 in 22-250 to finance a Dillon 550. Bought it back from him several years later. He was using it for a "truck gun" Pretty much trashed but now it looks beautiful again.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BMT
Savage 24

Which version? The .22lr/.410 (which I love) haa now been reintroduced as the model 42 with synthetic stocks.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Never! I buy but never sell guns.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Ruger SBH 44mag ss 10 1/2" Barrel.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wait a minute, wait a minute! You mean people ACTUALLY SELL GUNS AFTER BUYING THEM? Really? I'd heard mental illness was on the rise, but i thought it was just a rumor.....

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Temporary insanity

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hopefully, they want to somebody else who is having fun with them.

Other than the memories (which you get to keep anyway), they're just stuff, or tools.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It is nice to see that I am not an orphan when it comes to regret over guns that got sold. While it is best not to look back there are some that just make your brain ache.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,a Winchester M 70 SS in .375 H&H.

Finally found one in El Paso and bought it. So,I got lucky. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Not me. I've sold a lot of my guns, and only marginally regret a couple of them. I don't idolize guns, they're just stuff, same as cars or anything else. I've got no problem selling a gun that I don't use or isn't exactly what I want, I'll leave the safe accumulation to the collectors.

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
I sold an Iver Henriksen rifle not long ago that's causing me a little regret grief also.

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
I sold an Iver Henriksen rifle not long ago that's causing me a little regret grief also.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sold a 586 then bought it back the next day.

Tried to drink the Kimber Kool Ade but sold all of them with no regret.

Sold a Boddington Ruger #1 in 450 3 1/4 with his autograph for obscene funds. No regret.

Getting old so will sell a few in the next few years.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

For nostalgia, an H&R single shot, exposed hammer, 16 ga. I shot my first pheasant with at age 12 or 13 and my next, a late 60's vintage Remington 870 pump Wingmaster in 12 ga. which dropped many, many more.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
sold a first gen Remington 700 Titanium in 7mm SAUM back when things were tight. Still looking to buy the same gun back sometime.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by srwshooter
i've sold hundreds that i wish i had back. like the 10 nib nylon 66 remington 22's that i bought in the 80's for 400.00,yeah 40.00 each.store closing that a friend managed.99.00 for nib 870 wingmasters,149.00 for new 1100 remingtons. i think i bought 5each of both.

This should cheer you up...

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/remington-arms-nylon-66-22-lr-r18674/

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by gunner500

Oh yeah those Belgium made Brownings were to die for.I had one in 7 Rem.mag with super wood!!! shocked

IMHO some of the finest production sporting weapons ever built, I did however manage to hang onto it's big brother in 458 WM, it's not a Medallion, just a standard Safari Grade, still a super cool accurate all game basher.

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Sold a common .223 Remington Model 7 Wood Youth.

Was perfect truck gun. Havent sold many, but that one stings.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Word.
'Cept old family guns.....
they will get passed.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
kind of regret this one, a Tanegashima (japanese matchlock musket) just sold recently as part of getting rid of stuff so the wife doesn't have to. made in 1726 and was fun to shoot.
[Linked Image]

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
S&W Model 27, 3.5" nickel, S serual #,Dammit :

[Linked Image]

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by BMT
Savage 24

Which version? The .22lr/.410 (which I love) haa now been reintroduced as the model 42 with synthetic stocks.

24D 22LR/20ga

24c. Hard chromed 22/20 ugly but functional

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sold a stevens 311 410. Man I wish I had it back.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Colt Woodsman Match Target.

I still miss that Pistol, and It's been 40+ years ago!

Virgil B.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have sold several over the years and I only regretted selling one. I had a chance to buy it back and I did, only to sell it again. Now I don't look back only forward.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.38 super

S&W 586

Don't really need either of them

But stupid to sell them

Lost money on the 586

Made money on the super

Miss,it more

Sold,some,others that I don't miss

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
1913 1911
586 s&w 8 3/8"
94 flat band
94 32-40
Ruger sp101 (still mine but in use by a neice) just sorely miss it

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A Kimber of Oregon 22LR, two Browning Low Wall 1885 243s and several old Winchesters come to mind.

That said, I don't collect firearms nearly as much anymore. I came to realize that I wasn't having much fun with just having inventory. Defined as rifles, pretty or collectible or not, that sat in a safe and I seldom if ever actually shot. When I decided to start spending more money on barrels and components and less on rifles, I became happier. It was telling when I would sell something that I had had for years, that was just a firearm and not an heirloom, and I would be happy to see it gone.

Wearing out barrels is more fun for me than taking something out of a safe to look at it occasionally. Now I measure success in any given year when I spend more on barrels and components that I do on new acquisitions.

Last edited by RickF; 12/10/16.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
6" Colt Python with hollow lug made in 1966
Marlin SS Guide Gun
Browning A5

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Sako Finnwolf(s) X 3!
BRNO ZG 47 in 30-06
Sako minty biathlon rifle in .243

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Absolutely. A Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special that I bought new back in the early 1980s. Just one of many I regret selling.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Probably told this here before on a similar thread...

My first rifle was a savage 99 in 308 I bought used for 100 bucks with my summer ranching money in high school in '74. I killed all my animals with it until the early 90s. I had that, my old model 15 22 and 870 wingmaster I also bought in high school new. That was my battery for around 17 years, killed a ton of stuff.

Decided I needed a 3006 for elk hunting in colorado, bought a new rem 700 with leupold scope.

My daughter's birthday she wanted a special present and I was short money. Figured I didn't need that 99 anymore so put it in the paper for 175.00, even in '91 I guess that was cheap, phone rang off the hook.

That rem has killed a chitload of elk and deer but I always regretted getting rid of my first rifle. Bought one much like it from a member here, went out and killed an elk with that same daughter.

My battery had been restored to as close to original as possible.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me its was 2. A Parker DHE and a LC Smith Speciality Grade with 2 sets of barrels in 16 gauge. I want to throw up everytime I think of it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by krp
Probably told this here before on a similar thread...

My first rifle was a savage 99 in 308 I bought used for 100 bucks with my summer ranching money in high school in '74. I killed all my animals with it until the early 90s. I had that, my old model 15 22 and 870 wingmaster I also bought in high school new. That was my battery for around 17 years, killed a ton of stuff.

Decided I needed a 3006 for elk hunting in colorado, bought a new rem 700 with leupold scope.

My daughter's birthday she wanted a special present and I was short money. Figured I didn't need that 99 anymore so put it in the paper for 175.00, even in '91 I guess that was cheap, phone rang off the hook.

That rem has killed a chitload of elk and deer but I always regretted getting rid of my first rifle. Bought one much like it from a member here, went out and killed an elk with that same daughter.

My battery had been restored to as close to original as possible.

[Linked Image]

ironic you should post this. Talking to grandson about putting in for elk this year. And there are more than one rifle. But one i have had for years, as far as i know never been shot. A 60's vintage savage 99 lightweight in .308. Keep thinking about putting sling swivels on it, never been drilled, never had a scope. Can't bring myself to shoot it. Maybe he could.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Not so much as sold, but at the local firearms shop today I had occasion to handle an old Winchester model 61 22lr pump around 90%...very well made and surprisingly difficult to leave behind.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Not so much as sold, but at the local firearms shop today I had occasion to handle an old Winchester model 61 22lr pump around 90%...very well made and surprisingly difficult to leave behind.
Don't you folks down under classify that as an illegal assault weapon?

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
A Smith and Wesson 625 3" 45 acp. But I got it back.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Don't you folks down under classify that as an illegal assault weapon?

What...like these?

Used Guns.

Like everywhere else on this ball of mud, everything is available for a price.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

When something is banned or restricted it generally applies only to the masses...not to those with coin or influence.

Which is why some of our lefty politicians get to hunt in National parks where the 'common' man cannot step foot...got that titbit from a NPWS employee.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
almost every time I go quail hunting, I miss that Pedersoli 10ga Muzzleloading percussion side-by-side shotgun I sold about 23 years ago.

yeah, I know I can buy a new one.... (for a LOT more than I paid for or sold that one back then....) but its not very high up the wishlist... not that into muzzle loaders, or shotguns... these days...

Poole

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by BMT
Savage 24

New ones are junk..... frown

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I can think of a few...in 1992 sold a Remington 700 Classic chambered in .25-06 and a Winchester 94AE rifle in 7x30 Waters. Needed the $$ following a divorce.

"The only two things in life that make it worth livin'
Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women"
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

[Linked Image]

Ouch!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I regret selling my Ruger M77-MKII 30-06. Freedumb1 had the same rifle and made custom zebra wood inserts for the skeleton stocks. We both sold them but he just bought his back. That gun was gorgeous and built like a tank....could've easily handled all the hunting I'd ever want/need to do!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I am more of a missed opportunities than sell anything off. I did trade a remington 721 in 300 HH that I got in an auction for 250 with a Remington 660 mohawk 243 that I picked off of a trapper leaving the state for $200 for a Springfield Sedgley Sporter in 30/06 with an original lyman 48 and compass in the buttstock. Somebody added a whiteline red recoil pad but its still a nice rifle.

Fairbanks is a small town and I am competing against a lot of gun nuts. Its lucky that I can get anything at all.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've regretted buying more than I regret selling. Most that I've sold or traded off are not missed in the least. There were a few that I got nostalgic about and thought about replacing. But at the moment can't think of anything I've ever owned that I'd want back.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I sold my Winchester model 70 30-06 and my S&W 529 when I was a poor college student. My first rifle and first pistol.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 01/15/17.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rem 700 BDL in 300 Win. Mag. BDL stock was replaced with a nice walnut in the same pattern with reddish finished grip and forend caps. Nice oil rubbed finish and a hand lapped barrel and tuned trigger. Traded it for a push feed M70 in .270 WSM. What an idiot!!!!!!

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
I let a Kleinguenther K-15 in 257 Weatherby go a couple of years ago. I miss that one also.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

[Linked Image]

That is a beautiful weapon!!!

Only one I won't sell is my 1st deer rifle! Remington 700 in 270. It's got a cheapo Tasco w/ see through scope mounts (hahaha) She sits unused in the closet and is a purty and SMOOTH ole gal!!! Thought about breaking her out and replace the cheap scope/rings/bases but it has killed many of deer and maybe it will be one of my future grandchildrens 1st gun!

Ahhhh I also have a Colt Python my dad used going through the police academy in the 80s. I used it in 93 to go through the academy, so she'll be safe!!! My dads 45 he carried in Vietnam will be safe also!

I missed out on a Steyr Scout the other day by an hour!!! It was in 243 and the sale price was $1499! Average retail is about that on the gun only thing with this one was it had a Meopta Meopro scope on top!!! Kicked myself!!!

Last edited by JasonR; 02/02/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can add me to the dumbass list.
In my case I inherited about a dozen handguns and kept the ones I liked the most (about half of them). I should have kept every single one of them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A nice old 99 EG in 250-3000. Still upset at my self over that one.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hanco: Back before it was commonly known exactly how rare Winchester pre-64 Model 70 "African" Rifles were I bought, kept for a few months, and then sold a MINTY example.
I thought I was so cool making a two hundred dollar bill on that gun/transaction!
Had I known then how rare they were/are I would have kept that Rifle - today I could have realized a profit of around four thousand dollars on it!
That is my biggest regret "dollar wise".
My biggest regret "coolness" wise was an outstandingly beautifully stocked Ruger #1-B in caliber 6m/m Remington - it was a VERY early gun (first year production?) and had serial number 1,300!
A left handed friend of mine tormented me for years to sell him that Rifle and finally I gave in to him.
Wish I hadn't as he sold it for a nifty profit a couple years later!
My bad.
In all I recall selling about 40 or 50 Rifles and pistols "I wish I hadn't"!
One more (as long as we are kicking ourselves in the butts over this type thing!) I sold an elderly friend of mine a MINT condition pre-64 Winchester Deluxe Model 71 with bolt-peep and swivels in caliber 348 Winchester!
Yeah I wish I had that one back not so much as it was rare but it WAS in stone cold MINT condition - those are HARD to find anymore.
Live and learn I guess.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Two I wish I still had! A Ruger 77 red pad, tang safety from about 1979 in 257 Roberts Imp, and a JP Sauer & Sohn in 300 Win mag.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a few that I regret. The one that really made me sick was my Browning LH A-Bolt II SS stalker with boss in a 30.06.

I sold it in 2007 and started looking for the replacement in 2014. As luck would have it a found one on Armslist in California couple of weeks ago....hard to believe I would of bought a gun from the liberal left coast. Happens the guy really did not know much about guns and he bought it from a buddy. I got the gun for $500 with a leupold scope. I have seen a few for over $1200 but this was manufactured right around the same time and its the exact replacement. I almost feel like the world is back in order now. I just got it a week ago.

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
That was a deal.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Kingfisher: Good for you on replacing one that got away!
Indeed that was a good deal for you.
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1minute, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,210
Posts18,466,168
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.