Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congrats on the Doe.

Hunted today with an old Bud and his son. The son shot a nice 9 in archery.

Windy today. The Son and I did mini pushes for the Father. I saw 9, maybe the same 4 twice. Could have shot a Doe, but passed.

Son saw 11, one of which was a small Buck

Father saw a good many, not sure just how many. Two Bucks and missed one on a trot.

Out tomorrow to do one man pushes for another Bud, then perhaps get serious on a Doe Saturday. Would really like to see some snow stick on the ground.

Doe is going to have to be a loner without yearlings.

Last edited by battue; 12/08/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I've been hunting most mornings/afternoons for a few hours. I shot a doe on the first Saturday, but havent seen a good buck yet. It's my third season on the new farm, and really haven't figured it out yet.

I did come across a bunch of these yesterday morning, a first for me during rifle season.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats to all those successful this year!

Crazy year for me. Had a few good buck on camera thru summer and thru archery.

Background - Oct 22 I had buck action right at daylight when a big body buck chased doe in the gray light. Had a 90-95 inch 8pt feed in front about 10 min later. Does came back with good buck in tow. Steep shot at 14yds, low back but in the ribs. Bled good for 60-75 yds then nothing. Backed out waited 6.5 hours and went back. Ended up looking for something like 12-13 hours for him. Two specs about 60yds from last blood was all we found. I was sick about it. Kept looking for it as I moved to/from stands - nothing. All the good bucks seemed to go nocturnal in early November.

Fast-forward to rifle - 17 doe the first day, a few day each evening after work, and 5 doe the first Saturday. Finally got out the second Wednesday. With a front coming in and signs of scrapes being opened up again, I left work a little early and rushed to get out. Threw on hunting clothes over work clothes and headed out. Did a fast "sneak" to stand and cleared the noisy ice off the platform. Way too much noise so I figured I spooked everything within earshot. Sat down and scanned the draw on my right where I expected to see deer come from. Heard something to the left and see a small buck headed to me. Scope him out, wish him good luck getting thru the rest of the season, and bring the rifle down. Then I notice the bigger deer in front of him. I know he's better, count points, look at mass, spread, etc - yep good. At the shot he bolts but flips after about 40 yds. I was in stand 15 minutes.
Nice 10 with broken G4's, he looked familiar. Went home and got my sons for the recovery. First time my youngest was able to do this.
When I was skinning him I noticed a mark on inside of the ribs. This is the buck I hit in archery, I'm 99% sure of it. Only thing I can think of is I only caught the back of 1 lung due to steep angle and he was able to recover. Weighed 166lbs with very little fat on him.
I'll post a pic tonight.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
9-5PM.Two man pushes, a little still hunting and posted up for the last hour. Deer seen: Zero. Good day, just not a good day Deer hunting.

Forgot: Bumped into 7Grouse in a new place. Good day.

Last edited by battue; 12/09/16.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Did small pushes all day long with a buddy, seen about 20 doe, no buck. One more shot tomorrow, gonna have to change it up a bit, possibly head for the big woods as the little farm lots appear void of the antlered variety.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bud shot a small Buck two days ago. Grabbed one horn and it came off. Got ahold on the other, same thing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue

[Linked Image]

Nicely done! Congrats!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Here's a pic of my buck from the above story. Guess I was too late to edit and add.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Scott,

That'll do. Congrats. Beautiful Buck.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thats a dandy. I went out this morning for one last shot, but a guy pulled in after me and went in also (small piece of co-op, maybe 20-30 acres wooded, with adjacent fields). I watched a doe feed along then he shot (diff deer), I waited for a few mins then went to the local gamelands. Plenty of fresh tracks, nice day with the newly fallen snow. No sightings in a short sit. Went home, ran to get the tree with the family and had a tenderloin supper from the doe I shot. Not a bad year even though I didnt get a buck (first time in 4 years). Thanks for all who shared stories and pics, always adds to the excitement and anticipation for the next time I get out. I might take the flinter for a walk after Christmas for some bologna. One more pheasant stalking coming up as well, and rabbits after fresh now...all is well until Feb.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Time to get the flintlocks warmed up.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Didn't go out today. Must have heard 60+ shots on Friday and figured the Does took a pounding and if I crossed paths with one temptation would have probably won. Have enough meat from the Buck.

Absolutely love roaming the wood with a Deer rifle. Been a great year, now the long wait.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Terryk
Time to get the flintlocks warmed up.

Checked mine back in Oct, and it's ready to go. smile

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I took Friday off work and headed north to the farm. Poked around Friday AM but didn't see anything in the woods. Fri PM I picked up my deer from the butcher and did some other errands, then did some work around the farm. Heard some shooting but none ran past the machine shed were I was.

Saturday, we had good snow, I saw 7 does but none I wanted shoot or didn't want to shoot where they were. Buddy saw a couple. We knocked off around noon, ate lunch and then I packed up and came home.

Saw 7 on the drive home just after 5 PM. They were out in farm fields, grazing like cattle. The bastids must have known it was quitting time!

I'll probably take the flintlock out some after Christmas.

Dale

This space for rent

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I love flintlock season. It can be tough hunting, but I love it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Going to ruffle some thoughts, but let me make the rules and the crossbow and flintlock groups would all hunt during the regular rifle season.

Crossbows during archery, with scopes no less. Isn't that great? Late flintlock? How many, perhaps next years hog Bucks, with dropped antlers are taken?

They want a special season, then make a choice and that would be what you get to Deer hunt with or you either use them during regular rifle. They would be few.

Last edited by battue; 12/10/16.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Im good with a Oct-Dec deer season, you get a buck and a doe tag, use what you wish...

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Going to ruffle some thoughts, but let me make the rules and the crossbow and flintlock groups would all hunt during the regular rifle season.

Crossbows during archery, with scopes no less. Isn't that great? Late flintlock? How many, perhaps next years hog Bucks, with dropped antlers are taken?

They want a special season, then make a choice and that would be what you get to Deer hunt with or you either use them during regular rifle. They would be few.

+1

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TomM1
Im good with a Oct-Dec deer season, you get a buck and a doe tag, use what you wish...

There is another change I would make. Guaranteed Doe tag....every three years. Pick your WMU. Start with the current year or wait for two or three for the first, then wait for three. Your Doe tag is good for the entire 2 week Deer season.

Archery: Bucks only, unless you are 18 or under. Then Buck or Doe.

Wishful thinking.

Last edited by battue; 12/10/16.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by TomM1

There is another change I would make. Guaranteed Doe tag....every three years. Pick your WMU. Start with the current year or wait for two or three for the first, then wait for three. Your Doe tag is good for the entire 2 week Deer season.

Archery: Bucks only, unless you are 18 or under. Then Buck or Doe.

Wishful thinking.

What about antlerless before the rut? That way you're not killing a pregnant deer.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 43 invisible), 2,753 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,910
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.