Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I love my puffer jacket since I started using them, makes long days on the stand enjoyable. I see several different companies make them, any experiences with them.

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like my Kuiu Superdown pants for long cold glassing sessions. I don't need a ton of insulation on my legs but a little bit helps me stay more comfortable and be more patient.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There is a guy out here that used to wear them on the ski mountain while we were watching our skiiers compete. When the wind is howling and the snow is coming in horizontal you really need insulation since you might be standing still on the hill for 3+hours till everyone finishes a run. NEVER heard him complain he was cold.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by castandblast
I like my Kuiu Superdown pants for long cold glassing sessions. I don't need a ton of insulation on my legs but a little bit helps me stay more comfortable and be more patient.

Do you put them on the inside of outide of your hunting pants?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Do you put them on the inside of outide of your hunting pants?

Mine are worn on the outside when sitting, or I'd be upping my pants size more than I need.

Sat out Saturday in the upper 30s for about 3 hours, no issues.

Last edited by AH64guy; 12/05/16.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I use the patagonia puffy pants. Great for glassing or any time you are stationary. Buddy uses a set of North Face I think. Just make sure you get full length zippers.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have the Kuiu Super Down pants. By October they are always in my pack. The weigh next to nothing and make a high difference when sitting and glassing. Plus they are a little added insurance if I get stuck somewhere overnight.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
STS45,
Are you using the super down pants over the top of your regular pants or as a mid layer under your pants? Haven't seen the pants in person but have the Super Down jacket. Seems they might be a little fragile to stand up as an outer layer for long.

Do or do not, there is no try.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
STS45,
Are you using the super down pants over the top of your regular pants or as a mid layer under your pants? Haven't seen the pants in person but have the Super Down jacket. Seems they might be a little fragile to stand up as an outer layer for long.

I use them as a outer layer. I believe they are designed to be put on once you get to your spot. They would be super hot wearing them under your pants. I use them when I am sitting and glassing, at camp, and even sleeping if it is really cold.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info.

Do or do not, there is no try.
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Not "puffy pants" but I use snow pants.

They have them that are insulated and waterproof/breathable AND with cargo pockets so they actually almost look like regular pants. I got them a touch big so I can wear them over regular pants but I can wear them by themselves just fine also - maybe with silk pajamas underneath or polarfleece pants.

I got these 686 brand in coyote brown when they had them last year at REI:
http://686.com/products/men/outerwear/pants/l6w210-686-mens-authentic-infinity-cargo-pant/olive

The bottoms have snaps to fit over ski boots so they are kind bell bottomed. I sewed on another set of snaps so that they are NOT bell-bottomed bit I have the option to use them with ski boots smile

I think these are better than the KUIU, for example, because they're less expensive and are kinda better in contact with wet snow because the synthetic insulation will come back more easily from compression and the waterproof material will at least try to prove its claim. They are heavier though.

Last edited by alukban; 12/08/16.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
STS45,

A guide I know well has the jacket (same shell material) as a ranch/daily chore-wear jacket. I had the same thought, but his seems to be holding up well. He feeds hay, mends fence, and wears it hard. The shell is intact after two seasons.

Yeah, if you are wading through the briars and berry bushes, it's going to be torn up. It's not a Filson, but seems durable for most.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

+1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Woodhits

+1

As does a piece of ensolite camping pad to sit upon.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
702 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 78 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.