Print Thread
Hop To
D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Well I leave Saturday for my rifle trip to Kansas. Spoke to my buddy out there and he said the weather is finally getting right. Should be good hunting and he's still seeing rutting activity. Getting colder....could I hit it perfect? He has seems some great bucks past few days....I'm stoked!

Gonna kill one with my new 6.5 creedmoor......

Last edited by d500lnn; 11/28/16.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck! Looking forward to some pics.

Rob
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
How cold? smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Not sure which part of Kansas you hunt but I am in North East KS.

Yes - we will have a cold front hit here on Wed, it's already here for the most part today, but it's going to get colder yet and will be in the 30's. I don't think we'll see snow, but we could. The high's for this week Wed on out is mid 40's.

The Rut peaked around Nov 14th and the buck locked up with does.

It should be a good week for deer, the brand new cold front (first major one of the season) will have them out late in the morning. The cycle of the moon is low so they won't have much moon light either.

Good luck.
Spot

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck everybody.

I'll be out in the Flint Hills- probably trying to find a place away from the wind smile

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a farm on the KS/NE border that I visited this past weekend. While driving from Omaha to the farm we saw several bucks out and about during full daylight, a couple of them were chasing does around. I think that the colder weather and shorter days is really getting the buck to chase the does, so all the deer are moving more than they were just a couple of weeks ago.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck!!! Hope you fair better than our week of hunting the Burwell area. Super moon on opening Sat,highs almost 70 then dodged a blizzard five days later..My son tagged a decent mule opening morning but it was slim pickins the rest of the week.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck Nick - hope you get to break in that fancy new rifle on a big old gnarly whitetail buck:) Be sure to post some pictures of your adventure!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for the well wishes guys. I will post up some pics if I'm fortunate enough o get one of those giant bucks. I headed to southeast Kansas. Moran, KS. My buddy up there said it should be a good week. They've only killed a couple deer in the mid 140 cause of the hot weather and lack of movement. He's seen several big bucks this week(all new) and one GIANT 9 point. I'm going in with high hopes. I'll keep the group posted.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Good luck keep us posted!

IC B3

D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Got here Sunday evening. Saw a solid buck that evening just too far and too much between he and I. I felt no reason to pressure the situation. Since then I've seen one 8 point(not a shooter) and a lot of does. I heard a deer growl this am, but could lay eyes on his head gear. It's starting to spit snow and I'm getting ready to head back out. I'm leaving Saturday with or wothout a deer. I've got a good bit of time less, the deer just are not cooperating. I'll keep you boys posted. Thanks for tall the good luck wishes.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This little bit of snow, and cold snap should help.

Good luck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
-3 here this am. Going to try our luck this afternoon. Hoping the cold has them moving.

D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
One more day gone and last day tomorrow. I'm tapping out after full day tomorrow. I saw 4 bucks today. Largest may have touched 125" best I could tell. There was one other that was decent, couldn't even have killed it if it was 170" just glimpses keeping with a doe.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nick, are you near a food source?

Keep the faith man!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I had food around. Cut beans, cut corn and a lot was still green for them to nip on as it just got cold in SE Kansas. I ate a tag. Had one 10 that was better than 135 (if he wasn't busted up)on the last day, but he was destroyed. Saw him twice. I let him grow for someone else another day. A buddy of mine I went with shot a dink (<90") and I just am not that way. I'm not starving and I don't have to have the meat...I'd bust a doe. Which I didn't even do that. Oh well. Memories by the 10's and great times. Learned a lot...

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by d500lnn
I had food around. Cut beans, cut corn and a lot was still green for them to nip on as it just got cold in SE Kansas. I ate a tag. Had one 10 that was better than 135 (if he wasn't busted up)on the last day, but he was destroyed. Saw him twice. I let him grow for someone else another day. A buddy of mine I went with shot a dink (<90") and I just am not that way. I'm not starving and I don't have to have the meat...I'd bust a doe. Which I didn't even do that. Oh well. Memories by the 10's and great times. Learned a lot...

Glad to hear you had a good time! Sorry to hear you didn't get one.

I will say this, all the hunting shows would have you believe there is a 170" buck behind every tree- it ain't true. One evening I had a bachelor group of 6 bucks come by, within ten yards, and the biggest was a 6 point.

I get it though, when you go out of state you set your goals a little higher. I get a buck in Kansas every year, but go to Missouri and Oklahoma to hunt the big 'uns smile.

I hope you draw next year, and good luck.

D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by d500lnn

Glad to hear you had a good time! Sorry to hear you didn't get one.

I will say this, all the hunting shows would have you believe there is a 170" buck behind every tree- it ain't true. One evening I had a bachelor group of 6 bucks come by, within ten yards, and the biggest was a 6 point.

I get it though, when you go out of state you set your goals a little higher. I get a buck in Kansas every year, but go to Missouri and Oklahoma to hunt the big 'uns smile.

I hope you draw next year, and good luck.

I would like to go to Nebraska, it seems to be off the radar. I went to Missouri about 4 years ago. Saw a bunch of deer there as well, didn't see a big buck. The largest shot that week was 141" even. I'm putting in for Kansas again, no doubt. May do it with archery equipment. Not sure yet, got a few months to think on it.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by skeen

And the folks of Missouri and Oklahoma go to Kansas. The fish are always biting on the other side of the lake. wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
710 members (204guy, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 73 invisible), 2,947 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.