Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If I am by myself still hunting in timber my chamber will be hot. If I am just hiking around and my gun is on my pack, it is cold. Our rule is if we are hunting with 2-3 people every keeps their chamber empty with safety on until we have a deer sighted and are preparing to shoot.

We just had a hunter killed here in Nevada by another hunter because he forgot he had chambered a round several hours earlier. It is just too easy to snag a 3 pound trigger when hunting, especially with gloves. There is no deer or elk worth getting shot and dying over. I have yet to have a situation where chambering a round cost me an animal.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JMR40
Originally Posted by barm
Originally Posted by moosemike
Mike Walker admitted there was a problem with the floating connector. I don't know how that's even up for debate?

If you watch the interview he says there was a problem with the manufacturing of a part. He said the design was sound. He also stated he designed another trigger which he preferred, but the cost was prohibitive for the company to change.

Walker was in his 90's when that interview was conducted and may well have been confused. But in 1946 and again in 1948 he was perfectly clear in written memo's to management stating his concerns about a "serious safety issue" with his trigger design. I've seen copies of the memo's.

Any trigger that is dirty or adjusted improperly can fail. But the floating connector is unique to the Walker trigger design. It has proven beyond doubt that it can allow the sear to be released with no trigger pull. It can fail with a brand new, perfectly clean rifle with the trigger pull adjusted to 15 lbs, it is irrelevant to the problem.

It has been estimated that less than 1/2 of 1 percent of all of these rifles will ever do this. But it is also a fact that 100% of them could do so the next time the gun is picked up. The fact that someone has owned several rifles for years with no problems changes nothing.

I've owned 8-10 700's or 7's over the last 45 years. One purchased new in 1975 did it the 1st time in the 1990's. Never had an issue again until about 2 years ago when it did it a 2nd time. It got a Timney at that point. The factory trigger was never adjusted and it was perfectly clean.

Be that as it may, that is not what he said.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Walker was in his 90's when that interview was conducted and may well have been confused. But in 1946 and again in 1948 he was perfectly clear in written memo's to management stating his concerns about a "serious safety issue" with his trigger design. I've seen copies of the memo's.

Any trigger that is dirty or adjusted improperly can fail. But the floating connector is unique to the Walker trigger design. It has proven beyond doubt that it can allow the sear to be released with no trigger pull. It can fail with a brand new, perfectly clean rifle with the trigger pull adjusted to 15 lbs, it is irrelevant to the problem.

It has been estimated that less than 1/2 of 1 percent of all of these rifles will ever do this. But it is also a fact that 100% of them could do so the next time the gun is picked up. The fact that someone has owned several rifles for years with no problems changes nothing.

I've owned 8-10 700's or 7's over the last 45 years. One purchased new in 1975 did it the 1st time in the 1990's. Never had an issue again until about 2 years ago when it did it a 2nd time. It got a Timney at that point. The factory trigger was never adjusted and it was perfectly clean.
Excellent post and right on the money. Wish I could have articulated it so well myself. The thick headed Remington fan boys won't be convinced no matter what though. I've tried before and it's a waste of time.

Actually a rather uninformed post. Not a thing about sear engagement--and that's where most of the misadjusted trigger AD's come from. Of course, dirty triggers are still the other most frequent reason. Most rifles out there have never had their trigger assemblies cleaned.

I've bought very nice looking M70's from the 60's-90's that were FILTHY when the stock was removed--and was probably the first time the stock had ever been removed on those rifles.

I bought a rifle from a 'fire member that had a little more than half of the recommended sear engagement. If that gun had killed somebody I'm sure it would've been all Walker's fault...........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Excellent post and right on the money. Wish I could have articulated it so well myself. The thick headed Remington fan boys won't be convinced no matter what though. I've tried before and it's a waste of time.

Actually a rather uninformed post. Not a thing about sear engagement--and that's where most of the misadjusted trigger AD's come from. Of course, dirty triggers are still the other most frequent reason. Most rifles out there have never had their trigger assemblies cleaned.

I've bought very nice looking M70's from the 60's-90's that were FILTHY when the stock was removed--and was probably the first time the stock had ever been removed on those rifles.

I bought a rifle from a 'fire member that had a little more than half of the recommended sear engagement. If that gun had killed somebody I'm sure it would've been all Walker's fault...........

Casey
No it's a very informed post. Sear engagement has nothing to do with the FACT that the floating connector is an inherent and dangerous design flaw that can fail to engage at any time and totally unpredictably.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Mod 700 minus I zero problem solved..

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

[/quote] No it's a very informed post. Sear engagement has nothing to do with the FACT that the floating connector is an inherent and dangerous design flaw that can fail to engage at any time and totally unpredictably. [/quote]

Except that it's never been actually demonstrated.

Misadjusted triggers on the other hand, have.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And yet another thick headed SOB.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

In the same way Leupold became so popular there has to be Leupold Haters, there also has to be Remington Haters........

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have been smithing for 33 years and have seen many Remington's that have experienced AD's and a very small percentage were ever screwed with. Maybe 2% had the sealant removed and the screws fiddled with. Quite a few years ago I started asking people who experienced a Remington AD what the scenario was when it happened. Almost all stated that when they carried the rifle all day and went to clear the chamber at camp or to enter their vehicle when the safety was pushed forward the rifle fired. The last one I dealt with came into the shop last year after the second season. The 700 was built in 1966 and was chambered in 30-06. Owner was standing near the left front fender of his then new Ford F250 and when the safety was moved forward the rifle fired and penetrated the left side of the cab between the windshield and wing window then shattered the back glass on the way out. His hunting buddy was sitting in the passenger seat and was hit with metal and or bullet fragment. Mostly superficial. I tried to cheer him up a bit and tell him we could enlarge the bullet hole and install a spotlight, he was not amused to say the least. I replaced his trigger with a Timney and all is good now. When I removed the stock and trigger it appeared that this rifle has never been apart since it left the factory. There were pine needles, dirt and old oil varnish everywhere inside.

It appears to me that when the safety is on and camming the transfer bar up the connector link is free to move about especially when it is carried all day from the vibration.

I have a box full of Walker triggers that were retained by me if the customer didn't want them. None of these show signs of ever being tampered with. Dirt, old oil, and wear seem to be the problem.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've seen them do it. I have worked on guns full time for a living for over 8 years now. I have a FAR better understanding of how trigger mechanisms work than your average gun owner or even the above average enthusiast and I don't trust that floating connector. I don't give a shyt if yours goes off. I don't hunt with you or anyone who uses a Remington with a Walker trigger and I simply won't. I don't care if you blow your own or someone elses foot off or miss a chance at the trophy of a lifetime through your own ignorance/obstinance on the subject. Is that clear enough for you ?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Mod 700 minus I zero problem solved..

Plus one on the minus one zero.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't hunt with you or anyone who uses a Remington with a Walker trigger and I simply won't.

Is that clear enough for you ?

After reading your body of work here, you would never have a chance to hunt with me, no matter the rifle that I was carrying. As you say, "Is that clear enough for you ?". miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by milespatton
I don't hunt with you or anyone who uses a Remington with a Walker trigger and I simply won't.

Is that clear enough for you ?

After reading your body of work here, you would never have a chance to hunt with me, no matter the rifle that I was carrying. As you say, "Is that clear enough for you ?". miles
I don't know what could possibly have made you think I'd ever want to hunt with you but I can assure you the thought has never crossed my mind and never would have. Is that clear enough for your stupid old azz ?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just figured since you was throwing ultimatums around, I would chime in. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My model 660 "fired" on an empty chamber when my neighbor was showing it to me before I bought it. He had quit hunting several years ago and I honestly believe a good cleaning may have fixed the problem. He checked and there was a recall so he sent it to Remington. When it came back the safety no longer locked the bolt with the safety on. I replaced the safety with a New Ultralight Arms two position-three funtion safety after I bought the rifle.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/safety-parts/safeties/remington-600-700-3-function-safety-prod13788.aspx?avs%7cMake_3=Remington

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Years ago when I learned of this problem and spoke to a gunsmith about it, I switched to a Timney with the ULA 3 function safety installed. It was cheap enough to do. What's the price of peace of mind? My rifle is now safer and better because the ULA safety locks the bolt and allows the rifle to be unloaded with the safety on. With all the unnecessary add-on crap that people do to their rifles; what money is better spent then actually making your rifle safer?

Last edited by cooper57m; 12/11/16. Reason: spelling.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There is a reason as to why there is an entire cottage industry built around "improving" the 700....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I was always liked Remington 700's and owned several over the years with never an issue. I traded into a older 700 mtn rifle that someone had bubba'ed the trigger on so I took it to the closest Factory service center and had told them to set it straight. It came back the best trigger I have ever used. However I finally began to think about how it would only take one accidental discharge and you might have a catastrophe so I bought one of the x mark triggers and went back to the service center to have it installed. Was informed well that is one of the triggers that might not be right and you'll have to send it back for certification before we can install it. That sort of tore it for me with Remington. I mean how stupid can you be? you have a trigger issue and come up with a replacement that turns out to have a problem. I was wanting to thin the herd some anyway and my Remington 700's got the nod. I admit to having a couple of their shotguns but that sort of did with me and Remington rifles. Theres too many others to choose from. On the other hand Im not sure Winchester is any brighter as they had a successful trigger design that worked for years and changed it to a different design.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by milespatton

Miles, I have an 80s Vintage 700 BDL 7 RM and STOCK trigger. That trigger is SO LIGHT ! ! It's been that way for YEARS.
I've BOUNCED it off the floor many Xs and NEVER - NOT ONCE has the trigger broke.

It'd give Blackheart the vapors! !

Jerry

ps - edit to add: I've killed several deer and my Son has killed several deer with that 700 Stock Trigger.

Last edited by jwall; 12/12/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I'd never trust a Walker trigger. I've picked up brand new rifles off the shelf and had them go off when the safety is pushed off.

Change it to a Timney.

+1 on the Timney.

I have some vintage Walker triggers that are tweaked and work fine. I have even more Timneys.

I've used the new 510 which blocks the trigger, not just the sear. The idea, when you take it off safety, full sear engagement is guaranteed, consistent trigger pull assured.

I've gotten them on EBay for around $108 or so, shipped. They're easy to install and are very well made.

That'll be the last trigger you'll need and with no "issues".

I agree with other posters, after all that you'll NEVER trust that trigger again. I wouldn't and it wouldn't stay on my gun very long.

DF

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

223 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 15 invisible), 1,402 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,301
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.