Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 163bc
I'm in Hardy Co our #s are way down. EDH hit our area pretty hard it seems. IMO far too many young bucks are harvested in WV. I really wish the WVADNR would adopt point restrictions on bucks. Just look at the results coning out of PA.

That rule in PA was a tough sell. Possibly making the first doe tag free combined with education about identifying button bucks might help a bit. A guy with a doe in the bag might be more inclined to let small bucks walk.

Changing tradition is tough, both with hunters and Game Commissions.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From the few deer we saw I had a hunch EHD hit again, it typically hits every 2 to 3 years somewhere in the state. It wipes out anywhere from 1/4 to 2/3 of the resident population in the affected area. Of course the WVDNR won't tell you that, they want more licenses sold...

E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
That restriction in VA only applies to certain Western counties. VA regs are convoluted, with often different rules for public and private land, as well as Eastern and Western counties. [/quote]

Yea,I should have added that I was hunting Shennendoah Co. Even though convoluted I'm liking Va.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Both states have some pretty screwed up regs . Which side of the road you're on to which side of the river .....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Troutnut
I got a small 8 pt and a spike and only saw several others . Lot of does saw 30 does on several different days.

Didn't see any signs of disease in out area but I'll agree with others on the need to let small bucks go . I saw 30 does on several occasions and no bucks . Pretty screwed up buck to doe ratio . Makes a big difference during the rut also . Most bucks don't have to go far to find does.

I do not wish to offend here, but you understand you might be contributing to the problem, yes?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane
I got a small 8 pt and a spike and only saw several others . Lot of does saw 30 does on several different days.

Didn't see any signs of disease in out area but I'll agree with others on the need to let small bucks go . I saw 30 does on several occasions and no bucks . Pretty screwed up buck to doe ratio . Makes a big difference during the rut also . Most bucks don't have to go far to find does.

I do not wish to offend here, but you understand you might be contributing to the problem, yes?
No offense taken, the spike was a larger deer weighed around 140 . He wasn't going to ever be much anyway, I watched him on 3 different days before finally squeezing the trigger. I would have much rather shot a doe but our area ( Randolph County NF) does weren't legal.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (02bfishn, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 63 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,746
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.