24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd love to find an old JC Higgins Belgium FN in good shape at a good price. Ted Williams post-64 Winnie? Pass.

If I had 100 hunting rifles I'd probably be looking to sell, not buy.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
BP-B6

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I can't imagine the huge PITA it would be having 100 rifles kicking around. A few years back I got to the point where I had too many. My safe and my 6 gun cabinet were full. Beyond that there were guns standing in every corner of the living room and bedrooms and stuffed under the bed and couch. I sold a bunch off until only what would fit in the safe {12} and cabinet {6} were left and life was good again.

M
MarkFed Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
You don't even want to hear about my shotguns, handguns, rimfire rifles, muzzleloaders, muzzleloading shotguns.....

The list goes on an on.

I do have a very nice storage facility and everything stays organized and in sleeves.

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
M
MarkFed Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I did sell all of my milsurp stuff a while back. At least that's a step in the right direction.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MarkFed
Ok, say you're an idiot with a hunting rifle obsession that won't let you pass up anything that looks halfway classic, cool, in great shape for its age, or at a good price. You already own well over 100 hunting rifles, you prefer long actions, most of your rifles are chambered for classic cartridges. Also, you are not loyal to 1 specific manufacture or model. You like bolt actions, pumps, and levers all the same. You are definitely NOT a snob when it comes to firearms.

Recently you decided that you should probably downsize your collection or at least stop expanding it. You hate the decision but are trying to make it work.

Now you were offered a New In Box - Ted Williams Model 53 in .30-06. It's basically a post 64 push feed Winchester model 70 from the 1970s and looks brand new.

$275 FTF deal...do you buy it?

I'm in the same boat and I'd buy that sumbeech. I like push-feed Winnys, mainly because most of them I've screwed with shoot. And I like messing with rifles.

Like said above-- buy it, play with it, then give it to a kid, gal or guy that wants to hunt but doesn't have the bucks for a rifle.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MarkFed
You don't even want to hear about my shotguns, handguns, rimfire rifles, muzzleloaders, muzzleloading shotguns.....

The list goes on an on.

I do have a very nice storage facility and everything stays organized and in sleeves.
I do still have a muzzleloader hanging on the wall in the living room and an old shotgun standing in the corner by the woodstove for decoration. Plus a couple handguns stuck in drawers here and there. I have kept the rifles and shotguns limited to what fits in the safe and gun cabinet though.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
A bargain is

"something you don't need, at a price you can't resist",

at least by my own definition.

On the other hand, a good .30/06, even in a 70A, makes an excellent rifle. I shot my first deer with a borrowed .243 in a 70A.

It would make a good rifle for a good kid, though. Do as you wish, but I wouldn't buy it. I'd do like the other guys suggest, thin out your collection and go to Africa or Australia and go shoot furry animals. AND give one to an underprivileged kid who has no mentor. BE a mentor for that kid, take them hunting and get them involved.

THAT would be a good thing.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Let me know if I can help you clear out some of those rimfires.... smile

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
M
MarkFed Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
They are my first love and tend to hang around...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
829 members (10gaugemag, 12308300, 1234, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 85 invisible), 3,247 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,186
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.