Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've been to the BVC - think it would be a great place, but like trying something different.

Caprivi and Mozambique are marsh hunts and often longer shots.

Can do Tanzania but obviously $$$.

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
You might be surprised at the prices of some stuff in Tanzania. I would recommend the services of a qualified booking agent. They know far more outfitters than other one individual.

Zimbabwe has gotten, in my opinion unreasonably expensive. Zambia is a good option but can also be expensive.

Tanzania offers more generous Buffalo quota. A 10 day license has 2 buffalo. If I were you I would look around and call some credible booking agents

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
A buff in Zim is going to run $4-5.5K, plus dailies today. I have shot some very close up there. Closest was 16 paces.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
http://www.safarisdemozambique.com/
I hunted here in 2014. Dry land hunt, lots of buffalo.
First class all the way.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have buff in the Caprivi and Coutada 10 in Moz. Both marsh and mopani hunts in the Caprivi and Moz offers both forest and marsh hunts. Just ask the outfitter what he offers. Zim in the Omay is cheaper than either and hunting in the jesse is about as up close and personal as you can get. Crawling around in the Tiger Bay jesse with elephants and buffalo within spitting distance will be all the adventure you want. Contact Martin Pieters.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Another vote for Zim in the jesse....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Gache Gache campfire area on Lake Kariba with Corris Ferreira at Track-A-Hunt Safaris

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Zim in the Omay comes to my mind first.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The "Crooks Corner" region of Zimbabwe, Mozambique, and South Africa has some great buffalo hunting. Ranges are short and close quarters encounters are common.

I was on a hunt there where we followed a small group of dagga boys into some very thick vegetation. There is no feeling in the world quite like hearing the sound of a buffalo breathing and his tail swishing back and forth, but not being able to see it because the bush was so dense...

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
B
B
Zim is likely your best bet, early season will see the bush still pretty thick and buff encounters can be up close and personal. I had such a hunt in the Nyakasanga area near Mana Pools. The area was part of the annual government auction of hunt packages. These have become expensive and just as good options available with outfitters in the northern part of the country. For a balance of cost and good animals I suggest you check out Track a Hunt Safaris. Family owned and operated. A plus is their area borders Lake Kariba so you can get some great tiger fishing in as well as a serious buff hunt.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I hunted at Nuanetsi for a big buff this September. I could have shot a 41", but I couldn't keep up with the PH.

During 6 days of hunted we spotted another 41" and one 45", but they were too young in the opinion of my PH (Lin Stanton).

According to my PH, to get a really big buff, you have to get close to a lot of buffalo. Plan on tracking up to 2 or 3 different groups every day that you hunt. In a 10 day hunt, you will have a chance to get a really nice buff, if you can locate 3 - 10 bulls a day. That is a lot of walking and a lot of getting in close.

I wound up with a 36" buff, mainly because my arthritic hip was giving me fits.

Good luck.

BH63

PS Many PHs do not want you to shoot breeding bulls, no matter how big their horns are. Make sure you and the outfitter understand each other before booking the hunt. Having a 40+" buff feeding 30 yards away, but not being able to shoot it can be frustrating.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Close to booking trip to Zambia.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am heading to Matetsi in the fall, twelve days for buffalo and sable.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tanz ans Zambia for me.

I'll do Luangwa 2018. Booked and already half packed.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
Another vote for Zim in the jesse....

What ingwe said.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The SVC in Zimbabwe along the Save River.

I've had several up close and personal buffalo hunt in the reeds along the river and it is an adrenaline-laced, action packed hunt.

My favorite place to hunt buffalo by far!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm going to the Chifunda GMA with Muchinga. Have heard good things.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BH63
I hunted at Nuanetsi for a big buff this September. I could have shot a 41", but I couldn't keep up with the PH.

During 6 days of hunted we spotted another 41" and one 45", but they were too young in the opinion of my PH (Lin Stanton).

According to my PH, to get a really big buff, you have to get close to a lot of buffalo. Plan on tracking up to 2 or 3 different groups every day that you hunt. In a 10 day hunt, you will have a chance to get a really nice buff, if you can locate 3 - 10 bulls a day. That is a lot of walking and a lot of getting in close.

I wound up with a 36" buff, mainly because my arthritic hip was giving me fits.

Good luck.

BH63

PS Many PHs do not want you to shoot breeding bulls, no matter how big their horns are. Make sure you and the outfitter understand each other before booking the hunt. Having a 40+" buff feeding 30 yards away, but not being able to shoot it can be frustrating.

Totally OT< but management should not frustrate a hunter. Let you shoot whatever you want, and not care for the herd, then X years later there is nothing left to shoot... fairly simple actually.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
MJK Safaris is hunting Chewore south in Zim this year. I was just talking to Tini Kok yesterday and he indicated they have some buffalo available in Chewore this season. MJK is Tini Kok and Lin Stanton. Both quality PH's. I have accompanied Tini on several buff hunts with great success.
PM me if you would like Tini's contact info.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Don't understand the "up close" part of your post.
Why not look for an ancient bull....then just wait and see what develops.
IT IS CALLED HUNTING.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (Algotguns, Akhutr, Bama_Sleeper, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, batch, 10 invisible), 1,535 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,228
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.