Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
so there is zero utility for a pistol caliber carbine, interesting.

No they're fun to shoot!

Quieter at US ARMS matches.

That's about it though.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Anyone want to comment on the practical difference between the 300BO with its best bullets, and the 7.62x39, with 123gr softpoints?

Since I actually do have the parts to assemble a PSA in the cartridge.

Much better bullets available for the 300, otherwise the ballistics are so similar it doesn't matter. The bullet selection is a big deal though, don't overlook that.

If you're putting it in an AR15, the 300 is far easier and uses all common parts.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
one wonders why anyone buys those CZ Scorpions or the Sig mpx guns other than "fun".

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
People buy all kinds of stupid stuff thinking they are more than toys.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I recall we had an interesting discussion on these things under the handgun forum we decided that 9mm was big enough for grizzly bear with the right bullets. Form my HD gun is a Colt 6720 with an aimpoint T1 and TLR1 HL loaded with 62 grain federal fusions these discussions are "academic in nature" in an attempt to learn more about different cartridges and their applications.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
That's a straw man argument. The two uses are completely different. No one is recommending a 300BO for a carry pistol. Once carbines came along that we're reliable and the same size as SMG's, SMG's were obsolete.

If your'e going carry a carbine, carry a carbine.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
That's a straw man argument. The two uses are completely different. No one is recommending a 300BO for a carry pistol. Once carbines came along that we're reliable and the same size as SMG's, SMG's were obsolete.

The carbine is a compromise, I'd take a 45 acp sub for close range such as home defense. As a 45 speeds up, so does effectiveness.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by David_Walter
It will be if you have to shoot, move and communicate.

Even ear muffs with an electronic cut-off are better than nothing.

I suspect you may have fired a rifle in an enclosed environment, but its a one-time and hearing loss event.

That's why the Marines are looking at cans on every M4.

Ditto with flash. Not an issue if you fire once, but a firefight is a completely different issue.

A can solves both.

I never would consider the house as the same as combat... I'd assume... yeah I used the word, that a shot or two and generally the incident is stalled. I would not have to expect to communicate after shooting or during, there is only one other person in our house.

But that doesn't mean that after I"m finished with the 300/221 AR upper that I started 3 years ago, I won't have it sitting by the bed with the can on.

Not sure I'd have time to put on muffs and turn them on. Though the cur generally doesn't sleep through much...

I have fired both handguns and long guns in buildings. I don't envy that. It may be part of why I need hearing aids I think the dr said on the last visit, it was hard to understand him....

Point was though if I deem it needed to kill someone in my home, thats serious enough that I"ll take the hearing loss if it comes with it.

Obviously like anything else if I can avoid the noise or shooting someone I will do my best.

Having to shoot someone is beyond the very last thign on my list that I"d ever want to have to do.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
a 9mm even "out of doors" is painful. I don't find the 45ACP quite as painful used in an emergency. I have killed several deer with a 223/6.8SPC 16 inch barrel without ear pro and cannot recall it was painful.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

noticed the same thing. grin or better still, a pistol caliber pistol

Last edited by AKA_Spook; 12/08/16.

.... like tears in the rain
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

....he said as if no one ever died from the effects of being shot with an Uzi, MP5 or Mac10 or Schmisser MP40 or Suomi KP-31 or PPSH41 or.... .

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook

....he said as if no one ever died from the effects of being shot with an Uzi, MP5 or Mac10 or Schmisser MP40 or Suomi KP-31 or PPSH41 or.... .

Please regale us with your vast experience carrying and using an uzi, MP5, mac 10, MP40, KP-31, PPSH41? As well talk about your experiences carrying and using M4 based SBR's in 5.56 and 300BO? Maybe you can illuminate the differences, pros and cons between them in regards shoot-ability, recoil, manipulations, range, etc, etc?

Then frost it with your findings in tissue damage, penetration, accuracy, etc.

I mean one might wonder why literally no legitimate organization/unit uses SMG's anymore for CQB....... Or at all.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Please regale us with your vast experience carrying and using an uzi, MP5, mac 10, MP40, KP-31, PPSH41? As well talk about your experiences carrying and using M4 based SBR's in 5.56 and 300BO? Maybe you can illuminate the differences, pros and cons between them in regards shoot-ability, recoil, manipulations, range, etc, etc?

I mean one might wonder why literally no legitimate organization/unit uses SMG's anymore for CQB....... Or at all.

Maybe you should do the same and list your experience.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Had to go full retard, didn't ya?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

well, you certainly told me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yondering

Had to go full retard, didn't ya?

pretty much

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

Maybe you should do the same and list your experience.

sounds like he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
this thread makes me laugh
As usual thats a lot of help.

are you the teapot or the kettle in this instance ?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, I already decided to go with an AR style SBR in 300BLK for this single purpose weapon. That's why I framed my original question as I did. All I was really looking for was advise on setting up such a rifle with regard to the gas system to "tune" it for the best balance of recoil, muzzle jump, ejection site gas, and cycling reliability. Within that framework, I do appreciate the advice on the supers vs subs, because it does impact the noise and would impact the gas system. It's hilarious how guaranteed it is to start with such a non assuming thread and it ends up in a death match. That's the way of the Campfire though grin

Last edited by OutlawPatriot; 12/09/16.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
FWIW, I already decided to go with an AR style SBR in 300BLK for this single purpose weapon. That's why I framed my original question as I did. All I was really looking for was advise on setting up such a rifle with regard to the gas system to "tune" it for the best balance of recoil, muzzle jump, ejection site gas, and cycling reliability. Within that framework, I do appreciate the advice on the supers vs subs, because it does impact the noise and would impact the gas system. It's hilarious how guaranteed it is to start with such a non assuming thread and it ends up in a death match. That's the way of the Campfire though grin

Are you wanting advice on how to tune it, or what parts to use, or ??
Are you handloading or buying factory ammo?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,547
Posts18,453,523
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.