-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Man this is a great thread. I am 60 now and it made think back on all the great places I have been blessed to hunt, fish, camp and just enjoy. From my first squirrel hunt as a kid to the last hunt in Moz for cape buffalo it has been amazing ride. Trout in the Rockies and Blue Ridge, billfish in the Pacific and Atlantic and BG and LMB at the house. Not bragging but realizing how great life has been. And That doesn't include the best part-my wife and family.

Montani Semper Liberi

"Mountaineers Are Always Free"

GB1

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Yes, any hunt is a good hunt, that is just my favorite place. Anyone I ever took with me felt it was the best place they ever hunted.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Thinking a bit more, my elk hunts outside Leadville Colorado over the past 21 years have been truly outstanding.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This question is impossible. Thanks to God's Gift to American hunters, Odocoileus virginianus, there have been so many wonderful times in so many great places.

That said, I never enjoyed hunting any more than on Kodiak. AK is awesome.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by broomd
Kodiak is magical, but the damn bears are a pita.

So..."best place" is where we are right now....nothing like killing critters on your own place.

Ten minute walk from house to the back stand.
We give thanks every day.

Recent bucks for wife, son and me...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Easy walk from your house? You pretty much suck.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by broomd
Originally Posted by EdM
I... but the best place, without question, was outside Toad River BC. Unbelievable place loaded with a wide range of critters...

That is one helluva'n area.

I sat on the side of the Alaska Highway at Toad River one April afternoon and watched herds of sheep, moose, caribou and mountain goats all on one mountain side and flat.

I honestly thought I was seeing things, there were animals everywhere of every species. Incredible.

Just past through there few weeks ago that is a neat place and have pretty good food as well...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are so many great places that I have hunted. Most are only good for a couple species though.
The one place I have been that has all the different game that I care to hunt is Idaho.
I could make a list of places that is the best for one or two species.
Ducks- Stuttgart Arkansas
Snow geese- Eastern N. Dakota
Honkers- Rochester Mn
Pheasant- S. Dakota
Grouse and woodcock- arrowhead area Mn
Whitetail- central Mn
Mule deer- Missouri breaks Montana
Elk- Missouri breaks Montana
Pronghorn- Eastern Montana

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i never hunted out of state and really don't care if i ever do.most of my hunting in 45yrs has been in 5-6 counties around my house. augusta,rockingham,highland,bath,albemarle and nelson in virginia.i've been a selfemployed contractor sense 1977 and i spend almost the whole season hunting.this year has been tougher than any i've had. trying to hunt while recovering from a bad lower leg fracture has not been easy. some of my stands i just haven't been able to hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My hunting locales have been very limited as to geographic location until you factor in this place i call home

As a boy I hunted quail, cottontails and squirrels and white tails

Pretty small parcels of land in MO, but the hunts were thrilling to me, always a fence or road or creek to take you back to familiar surroundings if you got turned around

Here I've been fortunate to hunt from the north side of the brooks range to Kodak

I've floated remote rivers, flown into spots very few people have been to, killed moose, bear, ptarmigan, grouse, caribou and sheep

I've seen more of this state than most folks ever get to & im deeply grateful for the game not only that I've killed but just seen in their habitat

If I could do it all over again

I would

What a blast. So deeply grateful for this good life I've led

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't read the entire thread, so I might be saying what's all ready been said. The best place I've ever hunted was anywhere I hunted with my father. It made no difference if we killed anything or not. Just being together with him was the highlight of my times afield. Watching him shoot rabbits on a dead run, or just sharing a tree stand with him on a quiet morning when I was too young to carry a gun. Nothing will ever match time spent with my father.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
I never had a Dad. You that do should try to spend some time with him. Mom too!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Best places I've ever hunted are all on National Forrest lands.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had lots of good times hunting Mule deer in the Fremont national forest near Paisley, Or.

Now days, I'd have to say the most fun I have hunting, is Sage Rat hunting in alfalfa fields near Silver Lake Or.

LOTS of shooting when you get into a bunch of critters!

Virgil B.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Number one, our farm here in KY. Plenty of deer and squirrels. Now to the point of enjoying the grand kids getting after 'em. Number two, Colorado above 8,000ft. Game or no game, love the mountains !

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
The Badlands of North Dakota. Gorgeous ruggedness.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Bogtrotter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Western ND

This!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mad Mooner, shame on you!

This is a horrible place with no game no public land and horrible rude disgusting non English speaking criminals

No reason to even drive through here to check. The weather is bad traffic is a nightmare and the state has voted liberal democrat since the Wholly mammoth was here.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I ain't about to tell a public forum where the best place I've hunted is! grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I can't pick a "best". It has been too good in too many places for me.

Top of the list contenders are Alaska,Alberta, Wyoming, and Kansas. But I have had great hunts in many other places that rank nearly as high.

Grouse and woodcock hunting in the old farms,orchards, and mountains of New England is a wonderful hunt.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Western ND

This!

Is that north or or south of I-94. I hunted south of Medora a couple of times.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,870
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.