Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I was in Wells, Nv. enroute to Stanley,Id to hunt wolves the 1st year they were delisted when I realized I had left my new binos and spotting scope at home. My wife was still laughing when I stopped in Twin Falls and bought new Yosemites. A lot of that country was so thick that they worked out fine.

Ever since every time we go on a trip she asks me if I have my optics and snickers. Women never forget.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
BP-B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Earlier this year I went duck hunting and grabbed my shotgun right before I left the house. It wasn't until the end of a ~4 hour drive that I discovered I had grabbed my varmint rifle, not my shotgun. mad

I was with my BIL and he gave me lots of grief about that. grin

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Long ago an old friend of mine had to take a crap in the woods while out elk hunting but didn't have any TP. So he just grabbed some leafy plants nearby and used them instead. He didn't notice that they were poison oak, and he was a botanist by training and profession. We never let him live THAT one down. smirk

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Long ago I realized that my memory was getting to be far from perfect. I sat down and made a list of all the things I take on a hunt, as each item is put into the pack/duffel it is checked off the list. I run thru the the check list a second time as gear is loaded into the truck, a list with all items checked off is pretty good assurance that I've taken the essentials. The list is also handy when leaving camp to make sure everything makes the trip home.

I forgot my list at home and subsequently left all my chit at camp! cry

grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A raft. Turns out an inflatable bed is a poor substitute

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I found a new to me, primo looking, bowhunting spot on public land. I was really excited to hunt it and had a perfect tree picked out that would not even require a stand.

Opening morning came and I drove to the location and hiked out to the tree in the dark and climbed up. When it started to turn gray in the east, I went to nock an arrow and discovered my quiver was home on the bench. crazy

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I grabbed the wrong gun once too.
I was going on a last minute goose hunt and quickly threw all my gear in the truck. When I got there (250 miles)I opened my case and realized I had grabbed the wrong case. I had my 20 gauge grouse gun. My blind bag was full of 3 1/2" BB and BBB shells. I hauled azz to the nearest outdoor store 20 miles away and bought a new 3 1/2" BPS. That was a expensive trip. I ended up giving the gun and case to my son for Christmas.
I no longer have any cases that look like any other.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I forgot my bow bullets once too

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn't forget it but I once had a flat while Chuckar hunting in No. NV....when I went change it I found that my spare had fallen out.
Fortunately a couple of young guys came by and...believe it or not....had the same brand of truck I had so they loaned me their spare so I could get home.....

I went out and bought a new spare and a bracket to mount it in the bed where I could see the dam thing....

It wasn't very funny at the time but now I laugh when I think back about sticking that rod in the hole in the bumper and cranked it....the only thing that dropped down was the chain.... Ha

Last edited by FieldGrade; 12/09/16.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Don't think I ever forgot anything, if I did I can't remember it. grin Ran out of rope for the sky hook once.

LOL
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
On a week long moose and caribou hunt in Alaska, we had a bush pilot drop us off on a small lake. As we set up camp we quickly realized we had forgot the insect repellent. We were saved the second day when a float plane with a couple of fisherman landed. One of the guys that I swear was Ed Zern, complete with split bamboo fly rods, gave us a bottle of repellant. It was like nectar from heaven to us. Also worked better than the stuff we normally used, though I still don't know what brand it was cause it was an unmarked bottle.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've never brought bullets hunting. I always bring ammunition though.

Ha wink But, then again, still can't shoot the animal without a bullet. Okay, I forgot the ammo grin

I forgot my hunting license one time too. Turned around and drove back home that night to get the license and then drove back. That was a long night, especially when you're pissed at yourself.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I took a .25-06 for an antelope hunt. The .270 cartridges I brought along did not work in it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I haven't forgotten too much over the years. I did forget a spare pair of shoes on an Alaska fishing trip, which left me in my Rockies for two straight weeks. I figured I came about as close as a guy can come to trench foot on that deal.

Same trip in the Anchorage airport I had a bad plate of nachos with jalapeños and a flat MGD. I spent the whole plane ride home prone on the thankfully empty back row of the plane running to and from the can, trench foot and all.

Friday before opening day as a 16 year old kid I was down to my last .30-06 cartridge while sighting in. I stopped at a little country store at dark and somehow managed to sweet talk the proprietor into selling me a box of cartridges without having my baby face carded. I still have the box and half the cartridges as a memento of the experience.

I have never done anything as epic as bringing only .22-250 cartridges paired with a a .30 caliber rifle on an out of town elk hunt.

Last edited by K1500; 12/09/16.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've never brought bullets hunting. I always bring ammunition though.

Binoculars are the worse thing for me to forget, so I make sure I don't.

If I have a pack/knife/binoculars/rifle/ammo/me, I'm good.

Yep. I used to use mine all the time at home. Twice I forget to put them in the pack before leaving. Pissed me off tremendously to not have them. Finally just got a pair to leave at the house so my hunting ones stay with my favorite pack.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In 1960 I was an auto mechanic in Rifle, Colorado. Lots of hunters from "down south" towed Jeeps out there and most had free wheeling hubs up front and would remove the rear driveshaft. Usually worked good but one day a couple of hunters from Missouri came in hunting for a rear drive shaft for their Jeep. It had been removed and left in the garage back home.

BIL was archery hunting for deer, got one and then discovered that he left his knife at home so he dressed his deer with a broadhead.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ammo, the Rifle, and Boots are the three most common ones I saw when I lived back in MN....always by others in our hunting parties, so they were scrounging from everyone else...

It wasn't a problem for me... I'm the type that has everything packed up a month in advance.... and then bring enough to be stranded out there for 6 months...

here in Oregon and when I was back east hunting in my youth... it was never very far from the house, or grandparents.... so forgetting something wasn't overly far to go get it...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I remember one hunt, years ago. It was just a day hunt, but I brought .30-06 bullets, and not the 7x57 bullets.
Hunted anyway, but with no bullets. The woods were too pretty to just leave.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Somebody (protecting the innocent) forgot to put the pins / screws in the game cart. That hold it together so you can carry game (ya don't need them when it's folded and stored).

WTH!!! I Jerry rigged it with ropes - what a pain.

What do you "find out" you forgot.

All my handloaded ammo minus three cartridges. I did shoot a bull that year but I was sweating it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sling, what a PITA!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
280 members (1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 29aholic, 39 invisible), 2,170 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,627
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.