Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Bobmar
I've had some experience with this issue as a police officer. Unfortunately, you can't just walk up to somebody's house and say "Apple says the phone is here, let me in! " Sometimes the technology works very well, sometimes it doesn't. The Fourth Amendment protects people from situations like this, and you should be glad it does.

I've had some success knocking on the door and talking to the homeowner. Especially when the parent looks at the kid and says " go get the phone, now! " More often though, people won't answer the door when I come knocking. Experience as a cop goes a long way. How you talk to people and what you tell them, plays a big part.

The accuracy of the app is often suspect. If there is one house at the end of a country road, it's pretty good. However, when you're looking at 12 apartments in one building of a huge complex, it's not nearly so good. I've seen the app say the phone was in one place and then suddenly say it was 5 miles away, when it was determined in the end that it never moved.

As far as getting a warrant goes, the officer can't swear to the accuracy of the information or the technology it's based on. Judges don't issue search warrants based on free apps. Again, you should be glad they don't. We may get to the point some day where this technology is good enough, but that's a long way off.

The question regarding the Lowjack hit is a good one. I suggest anyone wondering about that dig a little deeper. Start with learning what a Carroll stop is. The bottom line is the law is almost always lagging behind advances in technology. But you have to ask yourself how you'd feel if somebody kicked your door in and came in your house based on the information provided by a free app.

Real world, 1st person, best post here.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
...but open-ended fairy tales are just so much more fun.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ltppowell
...but open-ended fairy tales are just so much more fun.

Heh. Ain't it so!

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a home burglary a few years ago, a few months later, I found my wife's compound bow on eBay, offered by a local pawn shop. I went to the shop and talked privately to the owner who, after seeing a copy of the police report, agreed that the bow was the one stolen from my home. Of course, he could not give me the name of the person who pawned it, but he did show me everything that person had pawned and asked if any of it was mine (it wasn't). He also told me that, by law, a list of every item pawned was uploaded to a law enforcement database each day and that law enforcement could look at every item the person had pawned at any pawn shop in the state. He told me to notify the sheriff's office, have then come by and pick up the bow and the name of the person who pawned it.

I went straight to the sheriff's office, talked to a detective and gave him all the info......called back 2 weeks later and they hadn't even gone to the shop to get the name of the person who pawned my stuff. As far as I know, they never did.

Talk about a slam dunk gimme.......all they had to do was get the persons name, look up what he had pawned on the database, confirm that it matched items taken from my house (and probably others) and arrest him........guess they were too busy writing tickets or eating donuts.......

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Did you get your stuff back? As was noted before, possession of a stolen item alone is not probable cause for arrest. If it was, the pawnbroker would be guilty too.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
I had a home burglary a few years ago, a few months later, I found my wife's compound bow on eBay, offered by a local pawn shop. I went to the shop and talked privately to the owner who, after seeing a copy of the police report, agreed that the bow was the one stolen from my home. Of course, he could not give me the name of the person who pawned it, but he did show me everything that person had pawned and asked if any of it was mine (it wasn't). He also told me that, by law, a list of every item pawned was uploaded to a law enforcement database each day and that law enforcement could look at every item the person had pawned at any pawn shop in the state. He told me to notify the sheriff's office, have then come by and pick up the bow and the name of the person who pawned it.

I went straight to the sheriff's office, talked to a detective and gave him all the info......called back 2 weeks later and they hadn't even gone to the shop to get the name of the person who pawned my stuff. As far as I know, they never did.

Talk about a slam dunk gimme.......all they had to do was get the persons name, look up what he had pawned on the database, confirm that it matched items taken from my house (and probably others) and arrest him........guess they were too busy writing tickets or eating donuts.......

Writing a search warrant takes time. sometimes hours to complete in order for a local judge to say yes to it. Patrol officers do not have the time and in many cases the talent (training) to write the warrants. They could do a knock and talk but now you have tipped off the bad guys.

There is another issue, manpower. Our city council and manager made sure we were always understaffed. ($$$$$ and maybe politics) If you have 3 calls for service and only 2 officers on duty, something goes undone. The same goes for the detective section. I always had too many cases and not enough time in one day. I did try hard to work burglaries and felonies but that meant something else had to suffer.

That's the way it is and I did not like it then and I do not like it now.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did you get your stuff back? As was noted before, possession of a stolen item alone is not probable cause for arrest. If it was, the pawnbroker would be guilty too.

No, I didn't get anything back, the insurance had already paid off so the items would have gone to them anyway. I understand that the pawnbroker wasn't subject to arrest, but the person who pawned it should be.

How is possession of stolen property not grounds for arrest?? People are charged with possession of stolen property all the time.....are they arrested for something else and that gets added on??

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

No, I didn't get anything back, the insurance had already paid off so the items would have gone to them anyway. I understand that the pawnbroker wasn't subject to arrest, but the person who pawned it should be.

How is possession of stolen property not grounds for arrest?? People are charged with possession of stolen property all the time.....

Did he knowingly, willfully intend to break the law by unlawfully possessing stolen property?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

How is possession of stolen property not grounds for arrest?? People are charged with possession of stolen property all the time.....

Possession of stolen property is not a crime, unless there is evidence to prove that the person actually committed the theft or acquired the property knowing it is stolen. It's pretty tough to get convicted of a crime. Of course, criminals love to say otherwise.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by GunReader

The simple fact is most busy departments can't be bothered with solving property crimes.

That's a very ignorant statement.

DAve

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Fireball2

The simple fact is most busy departments can't be bothered with solving property crimes.

Worth reading again.

Fireball is very ignorant.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave

DAve

Sorry you think so. That has certainly been my impression every time I have tried to get police action on a theft.

After a stereo was ripped out of my parents' car I showed the (Chicago) cop the identifiable footprints around the car and the same footprints going down our unpaved alley all the way to the back door of a neighbors house. He shrugged.

(I put a rock through the kid's windshield. Then I shrugged.)

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Worth reading again.

Like Josephine County for instance?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Worth reading again.

Dave

Well Clark in our county....

That is pretty much true...

We have like one sheriff and about 3 full time deputies to cover a county that is bigger than Rhode Island...

Protocol is, if you catch people robbing your home.... if the cops do respond... they don't arrest them, they don't have the funds to run the jail... so the cops will issue them a citation and a court date... and then leave...

more normal, Josephine County... will tell you to make a list of the things stolen and go on line and file a police report... and they will have it available to your insurance company...

Right here is all we have available here in Hooterville..

https://www.co.josephine.or.us/Page.asp?NavID=1808

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Seafire

Worth reading again.

Dave

Well Clark in our county....

That is pretty much true...

We have like one sheriff and about 3 full time deputies to cover a county that is bigger than Rhode Island...

Protocol is, if you catch people robbing your home.... if the cops do respond... they don't arrest them, they don't have the funds to run the jail... so the cops will issue them a citation and a court date... and then leave...

more normal, Josephine County... will tell you to make a list of the things stolen and go on line and file a police report... and they will have it available to your insurance company...

Right here is all we have available here in Hooterville..

https://www.co.josephine.or.us/Page.asp?NavID=1808

Waiting...

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Apple needs to add a new "Explode on Command" app.

Whether it blows their head off when talking, or a chunk of their ass off while carrying it in their hip pocket, it'd still be a "bang" to see thieves get what's coming to them.

Make the app do the same for stolen Air Jordans too. smile

No...you must be thinking of Microsoft operating systems.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm shocked, a troop of baboons.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Maybe the stuff needs to require some type of activation before it can be used. Just keep track of the serial number and the system not allowing stolen phones to be activated. If they can't use the thing they will quit stealing them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Apple needs to add a new "Explode on Command" app.

Whether it blows their head off when talking, or a chunk of their ass off while carrying it in their hip pocket, it'd still be a "bang" to see thieves get what's coming to them.

Make the app do the same for stolen Air Jordans too. smile

No...you must be thinking of Microsoft operating systems.

Samsung already has that covered.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

DAve

Sorry you think so. That has certainly been my impression every time I have tried to get police action on a theft.

After a stereo was ripped out of my parents' car I showed the (Chicago) cop the identifiable footprints around the car and the same footprints going down our unpaved alley all the way to the back door of a neighbors house. He shrugged.

(I put a rock through the kid's windshield. Then I shrugged.)

Wow. You met a lazy cop.

Dave

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (14idaho, 280shooter, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 9 invisible), 1,540 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.