Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Southern States carries a great heating pad for just this type of situation. My Pit Bull rescue is laying on one right now. Just put a couple towels or a good thick blanket around it. It is a real difference maker. Ever thought of putting a sweater on the dog?

^^This.^^

BP-B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Kennel heating pad seems like the solution.

My Chessie is just the opposite. He likes/needs it cold. When the temps drop down in the low single digits I get soft and put him in a crate in the garage for the night. Every time I do, sure a hell, about 2:00 - 3:00 AM he starts barking, isn't happy until I get up, go out, let him loose to take him back out to his (unheated, uninsulated) kennel for the night. He doesn't even go inside, just curls up in the kennel run, happy as a pig in schitt. Every time it gets real cold it's the same thing.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy a heating pad, cover with a blanket or towel and hang a towel or old blanket over the entrance, so the wind cant get in.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Toss it in a plastic bag.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the suggestions all cool Pretty much all common sense I know, but it helps to see em in writing.

35F, I fed her some more sausage this morning, slipped the dish under the blanket as I usually do when its in the 40's or below and she ate it, was not shivering. That hot rock generates a toy-dog sized warm spot under the blanket. The one I used for the past couple of years (barely broke feezing) broke for some reason while sitting unused over the summer, so I doubt their durability.

A heating pad and the hot rock as a fail-safe for either one going on the fritz sounds doable. The light bulb coffee can idea sounds like an easily-doable stroke of genius, provided I can find an incandescent bulb.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I saw a guy take an insulated foam cooler and fit it into a plastic tub with lid. He then cut holes in both for access and put a blanket inside.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Move her inside. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If you can't find a doggie style heating pad, might look at heating pads for farrowing crates. links below. If they can survive an old sow with a litter of piglets, I don't think your Dachie is going to hurt one. Bottom link is small one specifically for piglets. $87 USD.

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=...e=images&as_filetype=&as_rights=

http://www.qcsupply.com/250200-kane...3Pigd35c2QW9PGTaMN2gXscBdAxVqhoC8PLw_wcB

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
P.S. Got a soft spot for Dachie's. Had several growing up. Hands down smartest dogs I have ever owned...

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got a coupla' these, they are GREAT in front of a lathe or mill in Winter...my elderly JRT used one in the kennel in his last years, and swore by it.

I did run the cord through some old heavy heater hose, to preclude chewing.

Link: http://www.floormat.com/heated-mats/winter-warmth-mats.html

If you go with the incandescent bulb,...use a standard NEW 1 gallon paint can, mount the ceramic fixture on the lid, and cut the holes top and bottom sides with an old style "Church Key". For my rabbit nesting boxes, I use a clear "vibration proof" 40 watt chandalier fan bulb,...

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I won't have a dog living in the house all the time. When my kid's were little my MIL gave them a small short haired puppy about the size of a Chihuahua. The kids named her Snuggles and I told my kids that as soon as she got grown up she was going outside. I built a doghouse for Snuggles that had a covered front porch with a curtained entrance. The floor, walls and ceiling were insulated. I also glued carpet to the floor and put her dog blanket in so she could make her own bed. Since she was so small I built a room in the back of the doghouse with 2 100w light bulbs wires so that if one bulb burned out there would still be one light burning. The inside wall was made of aluminum so it would get warm and had a 1/4" opening at the top so the heated air could flow into the inside. Snuggles would adjust her location in the doghouse depending on the outside temperature. A lot of the time she would sleep with her head or nose sticking out of the curtain on cold nights. On cold mornings the kids would let her in the house to play and before they went to school they would open the back door and Snuggles would go right back to her doghouse. She loved her doghouse.

Last edited by victoro; 12/08/16.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm using one of these in my water well shelter, ... would have good application for that here discussed. Dittos on redundant bulbs.

Link: http://www.thermocube.com/

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 12/08/16.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Might check craiglist for a used waterbed heater (it a pad) cover it with the blanket.

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of these insulated doghouses (small size obviously) with the heating pad would be great. They are also nice for keeping the dogs cool in the summer. I have two of the large ones that my pointers stay in during the day (they live in the house the rest of the time).

http://www.asldoghouses.com/

Rather than use the heating pad, I use a 'Hound Heater" in my dog houses, but they are too big to fit in the small size house. The hound heater is a small electric heater with a built in adjustable thermostat that only uses 150 watts, and shuts itself off when it's not needed. When I locked the dogs in their kennels this morning, it was 18 degrees and blowing snow, but the inside of their houses was a nice 70 degrees.

http://shop.houndheater.com/Hound-Heater-Deluxe-HHD1001.htm

Yeah, my hunting dogs are spoiled, but, they are big running dogs that work their guts out for me multiple times per week and I like them better than most of the people I know, so who cares. grin

Best,

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I've got a coupla' these, they are GREAT in front of a lathe or mill in Winter...my elderly JRT used one in the kennel in his last years, and swore by it.

I did run the cord through some old heavy heater hose, to preclude chewing.

Link: http://www.floormat.com/heated-mats/winter-warmth-mats.html

If you go with the incandescent bulb,...use a standard NEW 1 gallon paint can, mount the ceramic fixture on the lid, and cut the holes top and bottom sides with an old style "Church Key". For my rabbit nesting boxes, I use a clear "vibration proof" 40 watt chandalier fan bulb,...

GTC

A good variation on a theme, but you still want the inside flat black, since you are not creating a nightlight, but a heater. The can is the radiator, and needs to convert light into heat as effectively as possible. Also, if you go all metal, make sure it can not short to the can if it gets wet. (Seal your wiring).

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Uhhh....this must be about Texas, but anyway....

the only thing your dog needs to stay warm if you actually think the critter is cold (which it isn't, trust me), is to give the dog some pure RAW fat every day to eat. Beef, pig, deer--whatever. They'll take care of themselves just fine so long as you let them get out of the wind somewhere.

BTW--it's negative 5F this morning, and there are dogs all throughout the neighborhood that spent the night outside just fine, including little ones. Don't bring them in the house unless you plan on keeping them there permanently.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by claybreaker
Might check craiglist for a used waterbed heater (it a pad) cover it with the blanket.

I would suggest not. They need the water to prevent them burning out. Never turn one on without a heat sink, if you intend to use it twice.

Last edited by kellory; 12/09/16.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I used one of those igloo dog houses with the heating pad. Hung and blanket scrap over the door. This was for a cat who hated to be inside. Worked fine.

We also use a heat lamp in the barn about four feet above the floor to keep new calves warm if they are having a problem of some sort. We have some old sheep pens and with hay on the floor and with that heat lamp it is very warm.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for your tips. I just ordered a heat pad for my old dog; he going to be one happy camper... It was -5 the other night and he wouldn't come into the house!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
170 members (444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,992 guests, and 959 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.