Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Went on the Simms website to purchase a gift certificate as a going away gift for a co-worker. Did not find any gift certificates, emailed Simms, they let me know they don't currently offer those, but "are working on that for the future." Really, with that website no one thought to throw on something as simple as a gift certificate? So, that's $500 I won't be spending with Simms.

Any similar brands I should look at? Hopefully a brand that has waders, jackets, etc., and gift certificates.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Orvis

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Patagonia. Look at their salt jacket for a bomber fishing jacket for your coworker.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Filson sells all that stupid schit fly fishermen like.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Perfect, thanks guys!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sadly, those high end folks have markups that rival jewelry stores. I'd be happier with maybe a Cabela's card. When it comes to rods, I buy the components and assemble my own gear for about 30% of retail costs.

Simms does make good stuff. Back in their early days I went for a custom set of neoprene waders. Got about a dozen years our them with some minor repairs. For sure can't do that with today's fabric stuff.

One could try any number of fly shops. I suspect most have some form of certificate.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/09/16.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never heard of Simms,but when I think of high end fly fishing gear I think of Orvis (as has already been mentioned.)

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Sadly, those high end folks have markups that rival jewelry stores. I'd be happier with maybe a Cabela's card. When it comes to rods, I buy the components and assemble my own gear for about 30% of retail costs.

I would agree. A card for Cabela's, Bass Pro, or Sportsmans Warehouse would be my pick, then you're not limited to one brand.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Cabelas carries Simms and I know that Simms requires the retailer to offer the same price as Simms sells online, with some exceptions. Like a lot of higher end fishing stuff i.e. GLoomis, Sage and Lamiglass price fixing is normal.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have bought most of my custom made bamboo fly rods on ebay. Here is a link to an ebay gift card.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/eBay-Gift-Card-15-to-100-Email-Delivery-/251669833365

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Simms is head and shoulders above the competition when the it comes waders and customer service. I've had the same pair for over twelve years of very hard use without a leak. I once bulled through a huge stand of thornbrush when my first pair was brand new and I put a number of pinpricks in it.

I contacted the company and they told me to send them back for repairs. They overnighted me anther set so I would have something to use while the original pair was being repaired. When they sent the originals back to me they let me keep the replacements.

Prior to Simms, I was buying a new set of waders every year or two because no other brand would last me an entire season. I am very hard on waders. I'll never buy another brand (may not need to anyway as tough as these are) they have a loyal customer for life with me.

They may be expensive at the outset but when you break down the price on an annual basis, they are actually cheaper than less expensive brands that have to be replaced more often.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Simms makes good stuff, although it is overpriced, IMO. If you think the person would be very happy with Simms gear, my suggestion would be to buy a gift certificate from a local fly shop that carries an extensive selection of Simms products.

In my experience, many local shops will have decent clearance sales around the holidays, and so the value of your gift certificate could go farther than if the recipient was buying from Simms online at full retail price.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You might consider inquiring at one of the better rod builders, like Sage, Winston, etc.

Or post your question at theflyfishingforum.
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2714967

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Simms is head and shoulders above Orvis. Patagonia has good stuff.

I would suggest a gift certificate to a good local fly shop or and on-line fly fishing dealer such as Feather-Craft. Feather-Craft is a dealer located in St. Louis and they carry all of the best brand names, be it waders, fly rods or any other fishing needs. I do a lot of business with Feather-Craft.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Like mentioned buy the gift certificate from a local fly shop that carries Simms. They'll special order direct from Simms anything that isn't stocked. The idea of supporting local tackle shops is a bonus.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by deflave
Filson sells all that stupid schit fly fishermen like.

Clark

Hey, watch yer d*mn mouth

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Patagonia. Look at their salt jacket for a bomber fishing jacket for your coworker.

Evan Chouinard owns Patagonia and directly funds Earth First and other similar environmental terrorist organizations, don't support that [bleep].

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure I'll pizz off the fly fishing snobs here, but no freakin' way am I going to Orvis and spending more on a fly rod that I spent on my last car. I know there's a legitimate reason eveyone needs a thousand dollar fly rod.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I'm sure I'll pizz off the fly fishing snobs here, but no freakin' way am I going to Orvis and spending more on a fly rod that I spent on my last car. I know there's a legitimate reason eveyone needs a thousand dollar fly rod.

Doesn't pizz me off, but I'm more of a St Croix guy..but I don't get the impression was to give the (I assume) avid flyfisher co-worker an Ugly Stik and a handful of Panther Martins as a going away give; that's what they'd do at my office.

Anyhow, Simm's Certainly does make some good stuff, Sage, Loomis, St Croix, Orvis, all top notch. I think Cabela's carries a bunch of it. Other online stores like feather craft might be worth a check as well.

I think it's a great idea to let the co-worker choose his own purchase with a gift card to a place that has a lot of selection. Picking the just right thing for a dedicated flyfisher can be difficult at best. No doubt there is something he would love though...and would it even be a pair of waders or rod. There are tying vises that could burn a hole in that card all by themselves.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Evan Chouinard owns Patagonia and directly funds Earth First and other similar environmental terrorist organizations, don't support that [bleep].

Well, there does seem to be a an abundance of tree huggers in the community... cool

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
98 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, Akpilot, 13 invisible), 1,752 guests, and 753 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,720
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.