Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by bigblock455
Never took a dime my friends. I've shot powerbelts long before i ever knew anyone at cva. Started out with an old cva blazer and tc maxi balls which turned out to be crap ( although the 50 cal version seems much better)

If'n i ever got paid, i'd tell ya so, along with, You got something against Americans earning a pay check? LOL

I've shot more powerbelts that the folks at powerbelt most likely. You've got to get an education and learn them, learn the fault lines, how to improve them. Once that's done you can decide if you want to shoot them or not. Im back with a fur hat, percussion & flintlock with round balls. Its a whole lot more enjoyable to me now days. Inlines no longer interest me and why would they if you think of it.

ya you never get "compensation" for the 10,000 sites you are on spewing your "prostaff opinon".... wow you also have a fur cap wgaf....

"primitive" been their,seen it,done it,got the t-shirt.....
[Linked Image]

I got a set just like that.Although not as shiny.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
4ager: Honestly never timed the reloads, but what I do like is that I can start them with my finger and not have to use my starter and lean on my ramrod to seat them like I would with the other Sabot/bullet. The less I have to deal with up in a tree stand in December the better I like it!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
SIgh

Never forget the first mule deer I smacked with a White 460 grain super slug at 125 yards more or less. All four feet sticking up in the air and a blood bath on the offside that Helen Keller could see. I don't like gimmick bullets and a PB is a gimmick bullet, I do not like the base design.

Yeah. I cant speak for the PB cause I've never shot one. for me, the big solft slow lead really just works so damned well at modest ranges that I have stopped using anything else. Going on a decade now I dont htink Ive shot more than a couple deer with something other than a 460 or 495grain .451 out of my white.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Local store didn't carry Barnes so picked up some Hornady 250 gr SST's. Maybe we will get lucky to shoot another deer with these before the ML season ends Friday evening. Will test fire them later today and see how accurate they are.

I switched from powerbelts to the Hornady SSTs too.

A little harder to load, but, they are more accurate out of my TC encore.

Dropped a nice 10 point at ~70 yards this year, DRT.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Now is the time of year to get Powerbelts cheap. Walmart usually puts them on closeout. Stay away from purchasing less than 295 grains - stay away from the lead version and also the copper aerotips (my opinion).

I have 295 copper HPs that work fine and the 300gr Platinums (top-tier bullet there). I refuse to pay more than a dollar for the Platinums and the copper HPs might be as low as 65 cents right now at Walmart.

Other than that, I shoot Hornady XTPs in 300gr (44-cal). Also use Precision Polymer Tip QTs in 185gr (50/40s blue sabot). I recently purchased a 50-pk of the Horandy FTX in 200gr (44-cal). They are being saved for the range in 2017 spring. I heard they shoot real well in Knight inlines, using the green Harvester Crush Rib sabot.

Last edited by GoexBlackhorn; 12/09/16.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
SIgh

Never forget the first mule deer I smacked with a White 460 grain super slug at 125 yards more or less. All four feet sticking up in the air and a blood bath on the offside that Helen Keller could see. I don't like gimmick bullets and a PB is a gimmick bullet, I do not like the base design.

First mule deer I shot with a 348 PB at 130 yards did exactly the same thing. So did my buddy's elk this year, and one or two I've shot in the past with the same bullet.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn

Other than that, I shoot Hornady XTPs in 300gr (44-cal). Also use Precision Polymer Tip QTs in 185gr (50/40s blue sabot). I recently purchased a 50-pk of the Horandy FTX in 200gr (44-cal). They are being saved for the range in 2017 spring. I heard they shoot real well in Knight inlines, using the green Harvester Crush Rib sabot.

IMO the 300xtp is an under rated bullet for sabot shooters. Its not new or fancy, but it does everything required inexpensively and is, as they say, 'boringly consistent'.

Do you like the 185's? What barrel twist are you using them in, and hows accuracy?

I used the 250QT's for a while, but never re ordered more as I gravitated towards the other gun shooting the big conicals.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by smokepole
SIgh

First mule deer I shot with a 348 PB at 130 yards did exactly the same thing. So did my buddy's elk this year, and one or two I've shot in the past with the same bullet.

I like the margin of error of 110 grains more oomph behind the same caliber bullet.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I like the way you think grin

Most of the problems people have with Powerbelts are with the lighter ones.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by renegade50
Never took a dime my friends. I've shot powerbelts long before i ever knew anyone at cva. Started out with an old cva blazer and tc maxi balls which turned out to be crap ( although the 50 cal version seems much better)

If'n i ever got paid, i'd tell ya so, along with, You got something against Americans earning a pay check? LOL

I've shot more powerbelts that the folks at powerbelt most likely. You've got to get an education and learn them, learn the fault lines, how to improve them. Once that's done you can decide if you want to shoot them or not. Im back with a fur hat, percussion & flintlock with round balls. Its a whole lot more enjoyable to me now days. Inlines no longer interest me and why would they if you think of it.

ya you never get "compensation" for the 10,000 sites you are on spewing your "prostaff opinon".... wow you also have a fur cap wgaf....

"primitive" been their,seen it,done it,got the t-shirt.....
[Linked Image]

I got a set just like that.Although not as shiny.

bore butter
interior and exterior

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
WAUGH! BORE BUTTER. You cook good rabbit pilgrim.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
WAUGH! BORE BUTTER. You cook good rabbit pilgrim.

and #13 cleaner.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
contact lens cleaner indeed.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Not trying to be argumentative, but I used the 338 grain Powerbelt Platinum with 110 grains of Blackhorn 209 Dec. 19th to kill a big Iowa whitetail at 111 yards. The deer was quartering toward me, and I hit him just off of the onside shoulder. the bullet penetrated 18-20 inches and made a bleeding hole through the offside ribs and hide. The bullet got hung up in the hide, and was found while caping the head and hide. This is the expanded bullet. I'm very satisfied with the bullet performance.

Ron

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Ohio7x57; 12/24/16.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
Not trying to be argumentative, but i used the 338 grain Powerbelt Platinum with 110 grains of Blackhorn 209 Dec. 19th to kill a big Iowa whitetail at 111 yards. The deer was quartering toward me, and I hit him just off of the onside shoulder. the bullet penetrated 18-20 inches and made a bleeding hole through the offside ribs and hide. The bullet got hung up in the hide, and was found while caping the head and hide. This is the expanded bullet. I'm very satisfied with the bullet performance.

Ron

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like when they dump all the energy. Good shot.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Looks perfect.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've run the 195 gr Powerbelts with 100 gr 777 through my 45 cal CVA into a couple whitetails and not had the best results either.

As a matter of fact on NYD 2015 I put one into the neck of a fawn at about 100 yds and recovered it.

Today a buddy put a 250 gr Hornady SST Sabot from his 50 cal TC pushed by 100 gr buckhorn 209 straight into the brisket and through the heart at 50 yds:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It penetrated deeply & retained a lot (haven't weighed it yet) of weight despite the high impact velocity.

I'll be trying those in my .45 and in my .50 the Barnes Spitfire TMZ.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My biggest problem with SSTs, Shockwaves, and Barnes bullets, is how hard they are to load down the barrel. a real chore. Of course this was with my T/C.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by efw
I've run the 195 gr Powerbelts with 100 gr 777 through my 45 cal CVA into a couple whitetails and not had the best results either.

As a matter of fact on NYD 2015 I put one into the neck of a fawn at about 100 yds and recovered it.

Today a buddy put a 250 gr Hornady SST Sabot from his 50 cal TC pushed by 100 gr buckhorn 209 straight into the brisket and through the heart at 50 yds:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It penetrated deeply & retained a lot (haven't weighed it yet) of weight despite the high impact velocity.

I'll be trying those in my .45 and in my .50 the Barnes Spitfire TMZ.

You will not be disappointed with the Barnes. I have run the 250 spitfires in my Savage @ 2500fps with a max load of 4198 (Only for muzzleloaders design for smokeless) they hit like Thor's Hammer.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I won't buy PB either after having less than optimal results.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (163bc, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 56 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,673
Posts18,456,052
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.