Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by hanco
Every day is a Saturday when you retire.

Almost, we have six Saturdays and one Sunday a week.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
GB1

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM
Do keep in mind that when you hit 70 or so your discretionary spending will likely fall a bunch.

While I totally agree ….maybe maybe not. For yourself I agree. But it's the unknown like sick relatives or kids coming back to roost that can make a huge change in this!

Thank God my 49 year old sister was a tenured teacher with a Masters and had the required years to receive excellent full health at full costed retirement rates. Otherwise, I could have been wiped out. That very large stage IV cancer experience that was very expensive even with great insurance was very educational. And it's not over yet. However, I would spend every dime I have to care for any one of my relatives. And likely will leaving me in a van down by the river. grin

The unknown sucks. But the unexpected diagnosis is much more painful than the price tag and portfolio repercussions. NO comparison. I never cried over lost investments, but I have cried.

Decent health insurance for all is key!! No mortgage is the other. Responsible siblings and kids very important.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When you retire you will suddenly have time to work on all those dozens of projects that you always wanted to do, but didn't have time for. Plus, your wife will suddenly present you with a list of projects that she thinks you now have time for.

The problem is, all those projects cost money. Lumber and hardware adds up fast. Everything seems to cost twice as much as you remembered it costing.

Many of my friends had the same experience; living being retired can easily cost more than it did when you were working. And before you know it, you will be on a first-name basis with several of the employees at Lowes and Ace Hardware.

Lastly, do what you can while you can. Health is a fragile thing.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by EdM
Do keep in mind that when you hit 70 or so your discretionary spending will likely fall a bunch.

While I totally agree ….maybe maybe not. For yourself I agree. But it's the unknown like sick relatives or kids coming back to roost that can make a huge change in this!

Thank God my 49 year old sister was a tenured teacher with a Masters and had the required years to receive excellent full health at full costed retirement rates. Otherwise, I could have been wiped out. That very large stage IV cancer experience that was very expensive even with great insurance was very educational. And it's not over yet. However, I would spend every dime I have to care for any one of my relatives. And likely will leaving me in a van down by the river. grin

The unknown sucks. But the unexpected diagnosis is much more painful than the price tag and portfolio repercussions. NO comparison. I never cried over lost investments, but I have cried.

Decent health insurance for all is key!! No mortgage is the other. Responsible siblings and kids very important.

My boys are/will be well set. My siblings the same. Thankful to the great parenting we had.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad to hear.

We had and still HAVE excellent parenting as well. The best ever. But that does not prevent the unexpected that just happens and always seems to cross borders to cost the more fortunate of the TOTAL family. These days the more fortunate become the providers as someone always comes up short. I realized this when I started writing checks to keep a few alive.

I wish the best for you and hope your current good fortune continues. Time will tell. For all of us.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Typically, I found you will need about 75% of your working income when you retire.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Suspecting that everyone has different metrics to evaluate when they retire, take stock and make the call. I had three mortgages at the time, previously refied to get the nut downsized and all that. Biggest expense pre-bailout was travel and meals....punching out was a boost to disposable income for me, even with a 50% pay cut.

Woke up one day, went to work on a day shift...yakked at planes for a spell and took a coffee break. They started paging me....I said BS and handed in my badge. Went back into the control room to say farewell to a few and the sup started giving me a ration of chitt. Told him he was confused and that I didn't work there. Got a lot of applause for that stunt, left with a smile on my mug. The air traffic bidness has a finite shelf life.

YMMV

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
My annuity is called Teacher Retirement. I will pay in 225,000, be able to get 70,000 as long as wife and I live. Bad thing is if we both get killed in a wreck the day after I retire the kids won't get a dime. Teacher retirement is one of the better deals out there, depending on how long you live.

Last edited by hanco; 12/08/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Planning!?! We don't need no stinking planning.

Got offered a chunk of cash to go early at 58, with 40 years of service. That lump, combined with my pension, carried me right up to early Social Security. So far, so good, and I'm not debt-free. My lifestyle isn't fancy, however, and I live where electricity is cheap. Don't travel either.

When the offer was made, I told my wife, "I don't know if we can afford it, but we're going to find out!"

What fresh Hell is this?
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Okie:

My wife and I both retired early and lived entirely off of our pensions for ten years before applying for Medicare and Social Security. During that time we practiced living on a limited income. We have no debt and were financially independent even before we started sucking on the federal tit. I track our monthly essential expenses and our monthly income. The difference can be used for discretionary spending. It's not any more complicated than that.

My wife and I are both habitually thrifty. We are certainly not wealthy but we have a "comfortable" discretionary income each month, less in January when we have to pay property taxes on two homes.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by lotech
It's okay to start planning in your twenties and thirties.

If you are smart it is mandatory. I'm glad my Parents made me start an IRA and manage it as an investment when I was 18.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Typically, I found you will need about 75% of your working income when you retire.

I'm in trouble then. I won't even have 50%.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I should have 80%

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by saddlesore

That is a common metric but it really depends upon how much of your working income was spent.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Being debt free, you are already ahead in your planning. I and a couple of my friends who talk about such things probably over-estimated our discretionary retirement expenses. If you're not an extravagant type, it's easy to adjust discretionary spending.

Since you're a couple of years away from retiring, you may want to consider what I did. I retired at age 55; I'm now 66. We live on a pension and social security. I got a retirement income estimate from my company's retirement system (which turned out to be very accurate). About 1.5 years before retirement I adjusted my take-home pay (by adjusting credit union withholding)down to what my retirement take-home would be. After living on essentially retirement income for that long without adjusting our lifestyle, there was no stress about how we would do in retirement. When we started drawing social security, it more than covered any increased costs, either fixed or discretionary, with money left over.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by immature
. . . retirement system (which turned out to be very accurate). About 1.5 years before retirement I adjusted my take-home pay (by adjusting credit union withholding)down to what my retirement take-home would be. After living on essentially retirement income for that long without adjusting our lifestyle, there was no stress about how we would do in retirement. When we started drawing social security, it more than covered any increased costs, either fixed or discretionary, with money left over.

That is a good idea. Thanks

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 16 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.