Print Thread
Hop To
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Yesterday was the last day of our deer season. Late morning I headed back to my truck to warm up. (Note to self: believe the weatherman when he says the temps would plummet.) When I went to unload the rifle, a Winchester M54 .30-30 shooting 190 gr. cast bullet/28gr. 3031, the bolt wouldn't open. When I whacked it with the palm of my hand she popped open- ejecting an empty case, dumping powder throughout the action, and leaving the bullet lodged in the throat. Countless of those loads cycled through that gun and never once did a bullet stay behind. I figure the extreme cold had something to do with it. Figuring my day was finished- no cleaning rod with which to tap the bullet out, of course- and saying a lot of very bad words, my eyes lit upon the radio antenna. I unscrewed it from the fender and lo and behold it fit into the bore. One tap and out the bullet came. It allowed me to go back and guard the trees for the remainder of the day.

Ejection of the the "afternoon" round was normal. Just the usual land engraving on the nose of the bullet as always. Big mystery.

I usually carry an Otis cleaning kit in my knapsack, but I had ventured out that day traveling light...

Last edited by gnoahhh; 12/11/16.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the dreaded "bullet creap" been there done that.
did it with a 45/70 loaded with ffg. whilst i was cleaning the action my friend dumped about 50 g on the ground in a neat little pile and dug out his zippo......... i saw what he was doing out of the corner of my eye. that slow motion scene will last me forever! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just as he lite it. he lost all his facial hair, had the nastiest yellow blister on his entire palm. had to have skin grafts on his thumb.
never could get him to mess with BP again.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
by the way gnoahhh, any invaders in the trees?

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by deerstalker
by the way gnoahhh, any invaders in the trees?

Nope, just a couple of pileated woodpeckers who kept me amused in the absence of deer. smile

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
man can those guys throw wood! have holes in my cedars you could camp in

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
252 members (300_savage, 1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 41 invisible), 2,184 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,639
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.