Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats to the little Gal!!!

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Best pictures I have seen on here in a long time. Made me smile. Started my daughter with almost the same setup. 700 mountain rifle with shortened stock in 243 with 85gr TSX. She is still shooting it at 19 and has a truckload of deer under her belt. Nice job!

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Can't help but smile when I seen those pictures. Congrats to your daughter and you.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for all the kind comments guys. She is a really great kid that seems to have a passion for the outdoors. We've been out several times during Christmas break but haven't been able to get another deer yet. I did make her pass a button buck last Sunday that she bad wanted to shoot. If we don't get a mature doe in range soon, the next button buck may not get so lucky. I hate to curb her enthusiasm right now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What a memory you built! The pics of her and her big buck are delightful. Best post I've enjoyed in ages.

I have a question about the 80 grain GMX in .243: How big are the exit holes?

I use my .243 almost exclusively for calling larger predators like wolves and cougar, but once in awhile for deer and coyotes. I want one bullet for everything I may shoot and want exit holes to aid blood trailing but not very big exit holes in the hide. whistle You have real world experience with the 80 grain GMX, and I'd welcome comments from anyone who has shot game with that bullet, especially if anyone has shot coyote sized critters with it.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've no idea why this double posted.

Last edited by Okanagan; 01/06/17.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Okanagan,

Between my daughter and I, we've now killed 3 deer with the 80 gr GMX combo since I bought that rifle so that doesn't qualify me as an expert, but I'm sold that it will adequately handle any deer I'll ever encounter.

The first kill was an 135 lb doe I shot and was about 50 yards broadside. Bullet hit right behind the shoulder and she ran 40 yards and fell with a good blood trail. I don't recall the exit hole size but I'm thinking about quarter sized.

Second kill was a 290 lb buck at about 40 yards quartering towards me. Bullet hit front edge of shoulder just a little low and exited just behind the opposite leg. Ray Charles could have followed the 60 yard blood trail. Exit hole was maybe dime sized but the blood trail was crazy good. Large piles of pink froth coming out both sides and through the nose.

My daughter's buck was shot at about 75 yards broadside and she hit the spine just about 1 inch in front of the shoulder blade. Pencil hole in and pencil hole out. Obviously no blood trail necessary but there was some blood on the ground where he rolled around for 5-10 seconds before expiring.

On a similar note, I have killed a couple of dozen deer with a 120 TTSX in a 7mm-08 ranging from 20-380 yards and have never found them lacking, but I have been more impressed with the 243, likely because it is running 300 fps faster. With the 120 ttsx, I think most of my exit holes have been dime to quarter sized on broadsided shots. I've only caught 3 of the ttsx, and all 3 were straight on shots in the chest with 1 found under the hide near the flank and the other 2 found in the hind quarter.

I hope that helps with your questions. I would think the 80 gr GMX or TTSX would fit your needs perfectly.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SKane
That one pegs the awesome meter!
I love it!!! laugh laugh

Congrats to the lass and to proud papa.

You got that right! Fantastic!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excellent job by both of you Dad shocked cool smile.

Congratulations to your Daughter - what a cutie..... smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by country_20boy
Okanagan,

Between my daughter and I, we've now killed 3 deer with the 80 gr GMX combo since I bought that rifle so that doesn't qualify me as an expert, but I'm sold that it will adequately handle any deer I'll ever encounter.

The first kill was an 135 lb doe I shot and was about 50 yards broadside. Bullet hit right behind the shoulder and she ran 40 yards and fell with a good blood trail. I don't recall the exit hole size but I'm thinking about quarter sized.

Second kill was a 290 lb buck at about 40 yards quartering towards me. Bullet hit front edge of shoulder just a little low and exited just behind the opposite leg. Ray Charles could have followed the 60 yard blood trail. Exit hole was maybe dime sized but the blood trail was crazy good. Large piles of pink froth coming out both sides and through the nose.

My daughter's buck was shot at about 75 yards broadside and she hit the spine just about 1 inch in front of the shoulder blade. Pencil hole in and pencil hole out. Obviously no blood trail necessary but there was some blood on the ground where he rolled around for 5-10 seconds before expiring.

On a similar note, I have killed a couple of dozen deer with a 120 TTSX in a 7mm-08 ranging from 20-380 yards and have never found them lacking, but I have been more impressed with the 243, likely because it is running 300 fps faster. With the 120 ttsx, I think most of my exit holes have been dime to quarter sized on broadsided shots. I've only caught 3 of the ttsx, and all 3 were straight on shots in the chest with 1 found under the hide near the flank and the other 2 found in the hind quarter.

I hope that helps with your questions. I would think the 80 gr GMX or TTSX would fit your needs perfectly.

Thank you. Good info. I'm impressed that the spine shot did not make a huge exit.

IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Great story and pics.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Okanagan

Thank you. Good info. I'm impressed that the spine shot did not make a huge exit.

I can't say for sure she hit the spine. It may have glanced by it and broke it with shock. I did not cut it open to investigate.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
My best is when my granddaughter killed her first buck.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Great job.

Bob.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
AWESOME!

I still vividly remember the hunt when my daughter got her first deer. You will remember it always.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just got around to checking this out again...based on the other thread you referred from to here.

I don't who to congrat more, your daughter or dad!

That is a splendid deer... especially for an 8 year...

heck it would be a dandy for some of us older guys...

I love the deer and then the little gal with her Muddy Girl stocked 243...

may she always be lucky afield.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Great

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
great

Last edited by hanco; 05/10/17.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
she is so gorgeous, i love her camo...congrats man, you have done a great job raising this young hunter. well done.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by Seafire
Just got around to checking this out again...based on the other thread you referred from to here.

I don't who to congrat more, your daughter or dad!

That is a splendid deer... especially for an 8 year...

heck it would be a dandy for some of us older guys...

I love the deer and then the little gal with her Muddy Girl stocked 243...

may she always be lucky afield.

well come people were born Lucky/blessed with a great dad.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

236 members (12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 338reddog, 300jimmy, 2UP, 24 invisible), 1,700 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,598
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.