24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hell Or High Water is a movie about an aging Texas Ranger, Jeff Bridges, near retirement, who along with his partner, are chasing a couple of brothers who are serial bank robbers. They rob small banks out in the west Texas country.

Well done with an interesting subplot.

Dialogue is sometimes hard to discern as studios rarely do any voice dubbing anymore when the actors are hard to understand.

Have a look.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It got great reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and is on my Amazon watch list. I know what you mean about mumbled dialogue. Nice thing about streaming is the "instant rewind" button that replays the last 7 seconds or so or with subtitles.

I find myself hitting that rewind more and more these days to literally see what the actors said. I'm sure 57 years of shooting has nothing to do with that... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
It got great reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and is on my Amazon watch list. I know what you mean about mumbled dialogue. Nice thing about streaming is the "instant rewind" button that replays the last 7 seconds or so or with subtitles.

I find myself hitting that rewind more and more these days to literally see what the actors said. I'm sure 57 years of shooting has nothing to do with that... wink

Jim, it ain't your hearing. My wife has superb hearing and she is like me: "What did he/she say??" I have good hearing too but it's the same with me. "What did he/she say?" I have spoken with a number of people I know in "the Business" and all say the same. "Can't understand the freakin' dialogue in that flick!!"

There are several reasons for this. Actors no longer articulate as actors were trained in "the old days." Elocution is neglected in flicks these days. Because dubbing or lip syncing is expensive, the studios pay little attention to it in order to save money on the production.

Another reason is because a director is so familiar with the script, even if he is watching the "dallies" or watching the film editing when the sound track has been cut in, he recognizes what the actor(s) said because the line is imprinted in his mind.

Same with the sound engineer. He has the script in front of him as he plays the sound track so if a line or word is mumbled or slightly incoherent, he doesn't catch it becuase he is reading the line from the script as he hears the actor. Sounds okay to him.

Another problem today is that a boom mike is rarely used because all the actors are "wired up" with a tiny transmitter mike hidden beneath their clothes. In the "old days" if a boom mike did not pick up the dialogue so the sound engineer understood it at the moment of filming, he'd tell the director he did not get the dialogue and the director would reshoot the scene. That, for all practical purposes, is long gone because of those tiny mikes hidden under the actors' clothes.

Another problem today is a director in the cutting room either cutting the film or watching the film editor do it,will run the sound effects track and/or the music track so loudly over the actors' dialogue, their lines are drowned out. Some directors call this "The totality of my great art is all that is important. Screw the unwashed audience."

Anyway, this is just to dispel your worries about your hearing. wink It ain't you: it's the narcissistic RR-Teests" in Hollywood who couldn't care less if you understand the actors' dialogue. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
In the theater a few months ago the dialogue was readily heard. For the most part. And for me to say that is something because I usually have to ask the Mrs. "What'd he say?".

The way the music is used nowadays is awful. TV and movies both. One reason I like old movies where dialogue mattered.

Fine movie.

Retired cat herder.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Hell Or High Water is a movie about an aging Texas Ranger, Jeff Bridges, near retirement, who along with his partner, are chasing a couple of brothers who are serial bank robbers. They rob small banks out in the west Texas country.

Well done with an interesting subplot.

Dialogue is sometimes hard to discern as studios rarely do any voice dubbing anymore when the actors are hard to understand.

Have a look.

L.W.

Actually its about the one brother who is robbing the Midland bank which reverse mortgaged his mothers ranch figuring to pick upthe ranch for pennies on the dollar. Rob the bank and pay off the mortgage with their own money.
Jeff Bridges as the Texas Marshall is the secondary story.
Good movie..."if that ain't Texan, I don't know what is"

IC B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
And that memorable line, "What don'cha want?".

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Highly recommend if you are a mans mans.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by g5m
And that memorable line, "What don'cha want?".

Another funny line, as the two fumble thru a heist -

"Y'all are new at this ... I reckon"

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IMO not as good as "No Country For Old Men", but still pretty good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 43Shooter

+1 ... it needs a really bad guy like Javier Bardem.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Watched it last night, wasn't bad and it kept my attention but wasn't all that wonderful either and wouldn't watch it again.

Did laugh at the waitress though...

Life is just one damned thing after another
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I thought it was badass. Very good movie. Especially the last 10-15 minutes.

MAGA
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
another line about the TV Evangelist "he wouldn't know god if he crawled up his pant leg and bit him on his pecker "

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Watched it last night, very worthwhile.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hotload
really bad guy like Javier Bardem.

Javier freaked me out in that movie, quite the performance.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hotload
Originally Posted by 43Shooter

+1 ... it needs a really bad guy like Javier Bardem.
Jeff Bridges was the bad guy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Best movie I've seen in a few years.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
305 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 30 invisible), 2,006 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.