-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
take boolits out of the stove before saying "Yes Mam" and running the dogs.
[Linked Image]

that's 5000g of melted boolits

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ya might want to run them through a sizing die. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
twice! grin glad my mold is 4 cav.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Bummer!

However, your problem was temperature, not timing; that oven was way too hot. If your oven really is at 400* (or 350-375 for some powders) you could leave them in there for a couple hours without any problems. If you're overheating the powder coating, it won't perform as well too, besides maybe melting bullets.

I keep saying - you have to check temp with an oven thermometer, otherwise you just don't know, same as your lead melting pot for casting. They only cost a few bucks.

Last edited by Yondering; 12/13/16.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
yondering, i dont use my (the boss's) oven
the front of our wood stove has a slot for convection air movement and m cookie tray just fits. also there is a thermostat reading the temp for catalytic converter control. been pcing this way for 4 years now as the boss makes funny noises when i head for the oven.
while i was running the dogs the boss stoked the fire and decided to burn the creosote out of the pipe. only boolits that melted were close to the pipe.
never have used a thermometer and have been pcing a long time.

Last edited by deerstalker; 12/15/16.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by deerstalker

never have used a thermometer and have been pcing a long time.

OK, whatever works for you. However, temperature does matter for powder coating, and you will get better results with the correctly prescribed time & temp per the powder manufacturer.

You cast without a thermometer too?

Last edited by Yondering; 12/15/16.
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Originally Posted by Yondering
You cast without a thermometer too?

I've been casting without a thermometer for 35 years. Definitely not necessary. Your bullets will tell you when the melt is too warm or too cold.

Don

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Marine powder coating, adapt, overcome, improvise!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
used a thermometer 50 years ago when i first started casting. it broke and never replaced it. just watch fluidity and color.

Last edited by deerstalker; 12/15/16.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I'm more fascinated by your stove. What kind is that?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J71248, the stove is a Kuma Sequoia, which is the largest model Kuma makes. i have had 2 (two houses) since they started their business and would't have anything else.
this model has a 8 inch flue ring and is catalytic. it will heat 3.8k sq ft if the ceilings aren't to vaulted.
i can stoke it at 8 pm and at 7am there is a full bed of heavy coals. i run it at about 600* inside firebox temp so the cat is fired off.
you can look at the china hat and all you see is heat shimmer, no smoke. best burning stove i ever had, and i have lived with wood heat all my life.
www.kumastoves.com/store/productdetails/sequoia
can't say enough good about them

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Can you reuse the metal of ruined power-coated bullets?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
absolutely
just dump them in the pot in a well vented area, melt , flux, skim and it's all good.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Marine powder coating, adapt, overcome, improvise!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
used a thermometer 50 years ago when i first started casting. it broke and never replaced it. just watch fluidity and color.

i have been casting since the 70's, and no thermometer. Until about a year ago i bought one, and i do use it now.
mainly to see temps vs. different types of alloys i am putting together.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 3,072 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.