Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Have used them in several calibers and at least the Rem. Horn. & Sierras all seemed to perform really consistently.

Some of this is they were the old style Corelockt which were a little tuffer and the other companies had similar jackets. The fact that typically the bullets were mid to heavy for caliber an ran slower probably helped.

John "Pondoro" Taylor was a big fan of the "blue nose" Kynoch loads and also thought that terminal performance was more consistent with them. It should be as it is an old design that has had lots of time to perfect.

I would not feel handicapped at all out to 300 yards or so if I was limited only to round nose slugs.

That said I loaded a bunch of Horn. 160 6.5s and at least two writers have called them one of the most inconsistent bullets they have used. No idea why as ones shot in test media looked good. Not sure if I will get a chance to find out this season though. But would like to try some on my favorite test media Feral Hogs.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I use them in 257 Roberts...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Most of my shooting while hunting is 250 yds or under...

I prefer Round Nose bullets with high sectional density, when you can find them anymore...

Seems everyone wants a 'premium' bullet with a 500 yds load, capable of dropping a bull elephant at 500 yds instantly...

to take a skinny whitetail at 75 yards back home...

in a perfect world, there would be the availability of good old RNs like their was back in the 1950s...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
John, maybe in a few years they will be "rediscovered". laugh

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV

Not likely Dave they aren't PC here on the fire they just deflect and fly off into space you know! whistle

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV

Not likely Dave they aren't PC here on the fire they just deflect and fly off into space you know! whistle

laugh laugh laugh

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Here's Hornady's logo:

[Linked Image]

Half of it is round nose bullets. But for some reason they have taken leave of their senses and decided to market to zombie hunters and those pursuing rocket science, and they have dropped many fine round nose options for many calibers. I still buy them when I can find them, but Hornady lost me as a regular customer.

In the cedar swamps here in Michigan, where you don't want the buck tottering off, the quick expansion of that large frontal area is just what the doctor meat processor ordered. Red wool plaid, back tags to hold your license, and general woods savvy still appeal to me.

Round noses fit the bill for many a hunt. Wake up Hornady.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by littlecmonkey
Here's Hornady's logo:

[Linked Image]

Half of it is round nose bullets. But for some reason they have taken leave of their senses and decided to market to zombie hunters and those pursuing rocket science, and they have dropped many fine round nose options for many calibers. I still buy them when I can find them, but Hornady lost me as a regular customer.

In the cedar swamps here in Michigan, where you don't want the buck tottering off, the quick expansion of that large frontal area is just what the doctor meat processor ordered. Red wool plaid, back tags to hold your license, and general woods savvy still appeal to me.

+1, just make it the hills, laurel thickets and cedar swamps of New England

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Round nosed bullets put more shock on the target at point of impact than do spitzers. Consider this: a spitzer acts like a hypodermic needle at impact. A round nosed bullet acts like a broom handle. Given that, which one would you rather have jammed up your azz?

I have hunted with round nosed bullets for years, and they flat out work.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I use em whenever I can if not hunting the wide open. I like the quick initial expansion and seemingly larger entrance holes. Combine with moderate velocity for less meat damage, and normally and exit hole - just right for me.

Used a blunt bullet in 9.3x62 this year, great blood trail which started right away.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Hornady] have taken leave of their senses and decided to market to zombie hunters and those pursuing rocket science, and they have dropped many fine round nose options for many calibers.

Manufactures produce what customers are willing to buy. You can lay the blame at Hornady's feet if you want, but it's the general public that's at fault. If Hornady's not producing them, it's because the general public at large isn't buying. Which is too bad as some cartridge look "just right" with a round nose on top.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My kids have killed some pretty big bucks with 6mm 100 grain round nose bullets out of a Handi- rifle.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
This thread got me thinking about "the old days". I just got a box of Hornady 30 caliber 180 gr round nose interlock bullets for a Rem 760 30-06 I recently picked up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I took 3 whitetails with round nose bullets this season; 2 were shot with 150 core-loct from a 99 featherweight in 300 savage and 1 with a 117 core-loct from a 257 Roberts. Shots were from 30-240 yards and all bullets exited. Couldn't ask for any better performance.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Lots of bullets went by the wayside after Sandyhook as manufacturers concentrated on best sellers. I wonder if they will ever return.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
170gr. 8mm round nose is what i use the most in my BRNO 8x57.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I had a Sako in 270 that wouldn't shoot pointed bullets very well. I would shoot sub inch groups with 150 grain round nose bullets.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
A few years back when I learned that Hornady was discontinuing the 154 gr. 7mm RN, I found two boxes in a small gun shop. The shop owner knew the rarity of this bullet - the price indicated he was quite proud of them. I bought them and have never opened either box since I had a mostly full box on hand.
I do not need them. PM me if you need them.
These bullets are awesome performers in the 7x57 & the 7mm-08.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I'm switching to Sierras for my C&C bullets because Hornady has dropped the RN and most of the spitzer C&C line up. Hornady can bite me for bullet sales.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,011 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,195
Posts18,465,925
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.