Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Tikka - hands down.

The Howa Ranchland with the thin 20" barrel will not feel as balanced when it has a scope on it. The Tikka with the slightly longer barrel, and slightly heavier, barrel will have a better balance with a scope on it.

Another consideration, while Howa's group ok I have never seen an out of the box Howa group as well as out of the box Tikka.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

GB1

T
TiBike Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Drover, what do you think about the regular Howa 1500? Notwithstanding your thoughts on the Tikka's grouping. FWIW I am leaning toward the Tikka. Very clean lines. Everything seems to work well. Only thing that rubs me funny is the removable magazine. Seems like a problem waiting to happen. Maybe I'm wrong though.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The Howa is a heavy rifle, no way around it - there is a lot of weight in their receivers, add in a standard contour barrel and the weight jumps quickly. I cannot remember the exact weight but I had a Howa 1500 with the synthetic stock and with a Leupold 3-9 on it and if I recall correctly it was over 8 lbs. A Tikka set up the same way is nearer 7 lbs and much better balanced.

As far as the removable magazine I have never had a problem and cannot recall reading about any problems with them on here except for the occasional complaint about the 223 mags being a bit short with the heavy for caliber bullets .

Something else to think about - Howa rifles seem to fall into the category of "good hunting accuracy" which is not a bad thing, but take a look at the groups posted on the 'fire that Tikka's shoot.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

T
TiBike Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Drover, I'm with you. The Tikka certainly seemed like a bit more refined rifle. And for a couple of hundred dollars over the life of the rifle, seems worth it in spades.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I expect that you will be happy with a Tikka.

As far as caliber - my recommendation would be the 7/08. I bought one when it was first introduced in the 80's and have never found a reason to have any second thoughts about the decision. I have shot a few 25-06 rifles but have never warmed up to them, they seemed to have more recoil and muzzle blast than I like and IMO are not as versatile as the 7/08.

If you have a Sportsmans Warehouse near you they have had the original T-3's on sale, if you have a FFL that will receive for you Whittaker Guns has excellent service and has been having a sale on them also. Europtics has them on sale too but I have never dealt with them but their prices look good.

drover

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can get a brand spanking new Tikka T3X Lite Stainless from Whittakers for $620 minus shipping. Absolutely can't be beat and you will not deal with better folks.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
7mm08 with the 20" and Id go Tikka or a model 7.

Originally Posted by harv3589
I'm trying to decide between the two as well...except for myself. I currently use a 25-06 ands it my do everything from coyotes up to elk/moose. My wife shoots a 7-08 and I'm kinda growing fond of it. So I was thinking of changing over to it as well....BUT

I don't see any factory varmit type stuff for it, which is available for the 25-06. I don't reload....anyone use it for coyotes?

You saving pelts ?? Cheapo PPU kills em just as dead if ya arent. No need for a varmit round

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rmart30

I'm trying to decide between the two as well...except for myself. I currently use a 25-06 ands it my do everything from coyotes up to elk/moose. My wife shoots a 7-08 and I'm kinda growing fond of it. So I was thinking of changing over to it as well....BUT

I don't see any factory varmit type stuff for it, which is available for the 25-06. I don't reload....anyone use it for coyotes?

You saving pelts ?? Cheapo PPU kills em just as dead if ya arent. No need for a varmit round

Nope I don't save them, just want a good all round rifle. I kind of like the shorter package the 7-08 finnlight is....

Rob
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Rmart30

Nope I don't save them, just want a good all round rifle. I kind of like the shorter package the 7-08 finnlight is....

Then I wouldnt worry about finding varmit rounds in either caliber. PPU is my "off season" ammo because its cheap and Im not saving pelts either so large exit wounds dont bother me. Cant tell ya how many varmits ive taken using it. Kills em just as dead as the higher cost varmit rounds.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Barnes, Federal, Hornady and Nosler all load a 120g factory load that should be awesome on varmints.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
120 BT in a stainless T3

[Linked Image]

Same load in a Superlite. Had a good group going until I pulled the one on the right.

[Linked Image]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The 7-08 is the absolute perfect cartridge for deer. The Tikka is great but a minor gripe is that it doesn't have a true short action.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JoeBob
The 7-08 is the absolute perfect cartridge for deer. ......

In the wake of easily duplicated ballistics from many other offerings, these statements of perfection above all others, are amusing and not to be taken seriously. smile

The 7/08 is nothing more than a picket in a fence of cartridge performance. That's all.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH

In the wake of easily duplicated ballistics from many other offerings, these statements of perfection above all others, are amusing and not to be taken seriously. smile

The 7/08 is nothing more than a picket in a fence of cartridge performance. That's all.

You hit the nail on the head. You've probably built more picket fences than you care to admit too Bob...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa: Yes I have....which is why I find damned little "perfection" in anything.

People get delusional about rifle cartridges.

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/19/16.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
High country mule deer = Creed Kimber Montana

Somebody had to say it. (grin)

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I know I'm the semi-new (was on the fire a few years ago but couldn't even remember my name user name on here...lol), but as I enjoy reading all the replies on threads like these, I can't help but say that Mr. Bob is dead on. Pieces of paper with great groups are pleasing to the eye. Ballistic charts are interesting to look at. Most of us have our favorite rifle based on many different things. But the "perfect" caliber exists only in the mind of each of us. If it was an objective choice, every deer hunter who pursued the perfect caliber/rifle combination would use the same caliber in "X" rifle. In the end, most of us go by experience and personal likes and dislikes.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

Nevertheless, it is dead solid perfect in the middle of that picket fence regardless of what any snarky Yankee might say about it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The 7-08 is the absolute perfect cartridge for deer. The Tikka is great but a minor gripe is that it doesn't have a true short action.

Not bad for elk, either.

I hear the gripe about short action and it puzzles me. What's the difference? Half an inch? Who cares?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Nevertheless, it is dead solid perfect in the middle of that picket fence regardless of what any snarky Yankee might say about it.

Bet I was using a 7/08 before you were in diapers......I know I was using one before you developed an IQ......

So where precisely does it sit in the lineup? Would that be the lineup of SA standard cartridges, short fat belted cartridge, standard cartridges? belted small bore magnum cartridges?

What would be to the right and left of it in that picket fence?

What a joke. You guys sure do get all wound up over brass bottles that hold powder don't you? grin

Like I said....people get delusional. And emotional LOL!

Especially [bleep] from the South.Would that be Tex- ass? Huh?

Notice how you immediately attacked me personally because i think your favorite cartridge is absolutely nothing to get excited about? That burns your ass because you know Im right doesn't it?

I suspect you don't have enough experience with anything to comment.... but if you do suppose you tell us the difference between the 7/08 and the 280, 284, 270, 7x57. 6.5x55,6.5 Creed, 7 Rem Mag and a few others in terms of ow they kill animals?

C'mon ....tell me? I'm all ears.

You can't and you know it. What a joke.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,246
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.