J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by JoeBob
The 7-08 is the absolute perfect cartridge for deer. ......

In the wake of easily duplicated ballistics from many other offerings, these statements of perfection above all others, are amusing and not to be taken seriously. smile

The 7/08 is nothing more than a picket in a fence of cartridge performance. That's all.

Nevertheless, it is dead solid perfect in the middle of that picket fence regardless of what any snarky Yankee might say about it.

You considered that snarky? sleep
What a joke.

Anyway, I like the 7mm-08 more than a little, but somehow get by with a bunch of different choices. All used in the same covers. .223AI, .22-250, 7mm-08, .280AI, .300Sav, .338Fed, .30-06, .300WM.

And could have made others work just as well.

The perfect Deer rifle is akin to the perfect women. Or man if you happen to be a huntress.

Wait, you said absolute perfect. Is it absolute with 120's, 140's, 150's, 175's?

Am I being snarky?

You consider "snarky" to be pejorative enough to warrant much reaction? But then again, you are clearly a godless Yankee. I had to choose the "most" perfect bullet of all of the otherwise perfect bullets in the bestest little whitetail cartridge on earth, I'm most partial to the 154 grain Interlock, which is of course, a purely handloading affair. That said, there are no flies on the 139 grain pill.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
God loves us all. Even you'll Rebs.

I like the 140 Barnes myself. Grabs them by the horns, or pussy during Doe time.

And have a wonderful Yankee Doodle Christmas. Feliz Navaida and all that.

Last edited by battue; 12/20/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I will and you too.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
😉

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm starting to get that warm fuzzy feeling and can almost hear the angels singing Kumbaya...lol. Hope everyone is having a blessed night.

Eddie

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good lord. This is whole yankee/reb thing is weird. Glad I am from a state that didn't exist until after the war between the states. Or the war of northern aggression. Or whatever else it is.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I started using the cartridge (7/08) about when it was introduced. Before and after that I killed deer (and other stuff) with the 7x57,7/08.280 Remington,270 Winchester and a bevy of 7mm magnums. I only got to watch what a couple of friends did with the 284 because I knew the load workup but never owned one.

All of them do anything a 7/08 does and none of them do less,velocity wise, with any bullet, so where this "perfect middle" crap comes from I have no idea (?). It sits on the lower end of 7mm cartridge performance. I am skeptical of any claims of "perfection" with so much duplicitous performance levels.

Most of this was with 140,150, and 160 gr bullets gr bullets of various makes and styles.

The difference was that the higher velocity cartridges shot flatter,and at distance killed very quickly, expanded their bullets further away but the smaller 7mm's were efficient if unspectacular. They all killed.The biggest difference between them was "bullets". I never saw anything to get excited about and still don't. It's the best thing they ever did with a 308 case but that's the best I can say about it while I stifle a yawn.

I liked the 7/08 but this notion of it occupying some theoretical "perfect middle" is perfectly subjective. I'd nominate the 280 in a heartbeat over any 7/08 or 25/06,neither of which would make any list of mine in a Top Ten all round BG cartridge....(I don;t care who uses them for what).

Anyone is free to disagree on the 280 thing as well,but these notions of "perfection"are the product of active imaginations. You'll pardon me while a stifle a snarky yawn in the face of all this "wisdom"....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Layne Simpson said it was the perfect Whitetail cartridge and considered it the .30-30 for South. I mean wouldn't it work fine up here also? What couldn't we work a bolt? I always thought that was a snarky, if not out and out BS. Then Kenny J started bribing him with grits and the .280AI became the bell of the South.

Carmichael said the .280Rem was were it was at with the 7's. WTH did he know?

Pass the .308W if this Yankee just had to pick one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
A .270 Win or .280 Rem is your huckleberry. Mildish recoil, plenty of power out to 500 yards.

Ruger .280 Rem for $499. Have one and love it.
https://www.cdnnsports.com/280-hm77rp-22-syn.html?___SID=U

Got one of these .30-06 rifles for $499 for a future son-in-law. Love it too. 20" barrel.
https://www.cdnnsports.com/30-06-hm77rlfp-20-syn-ultra.html

When did the OP ask about 280s and 30-06s?

Well, he did put "Or??" in the title.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by battue

Carmichael said the .280Rem was were it was at with the 7's. WTH did he know?

Carmichael jumped on the 280 bandwagon because he followed O'Connor and there was really no where else to go. It would not have been PC for Carmichael to use a 270; he needed his own cartridge.

Carmichael could have used anything similar with the same worldwide results because he could shoot...but he mostly use a 140 Nosler Partition at just under 3100 fps as I recall.The rifle was a Clayton Nelson M70 custom.

As a general purpose 7mm for BG hunting Im grabbing a 280 Remington a LONG time before any short action 7mm.

Here's one of mine from a by gone era,a custom Mauser by Kevin Campbell purchased from George Caswell, and that I sold years ago; but not before I hunted it East and West for 4-5 years.

I burned out the original barrel and George replaced it with a Douglas.

Had not seen the rifle in years. It was common back then for snarky Yankees to buy airline tickets to hunt far places and get their experience shooting rifles and hunting, instead of reading about it on the Internet.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...arna-mauser-280-rem.cfm?gun_id=100656909

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/20/16.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
I'm starting to get that warm fuzzy feeling and can almost hear the angels singing Kumbaya...lol. Hope everyone is having a blessed night.

Eddie

Kumbaya????

When the Angels want warm and fuzzy, the Northern Angels sing Battle hymn of the Republic. Southern, Dixie.

Kumbaya is really weird.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You'all could do what I'm doing. Building a 7X57! It's in between the 7-08 and .280 and it's going in a "Short" action M-70! That should ruffle some feathers. laugh grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've killed schit with both, and can tell you WITHOUT A DOUBT, the 7mm Rem Mag is the better choice. If you don't agree you're a POS inbred or a snotnosed yank.

Tanner

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Teeder
You'all could do what I'm doing. Building a 7X57! It's in between the 7-08 and .280 and it's going in a "Short" action M-70! That should ruffle some feathers. laugh grin

"Y'all "can do what you want....BTDT,too.

I agree with Tanner. But then he's smarter than the average do-do on here and has the experience .

After screwing with all those subordinate 7mm's, I'll take a 7 Rem Mag any day.

I hear they are hard to shoot due to excess recoil but a 30/06 is not......which I frankly find to be more Internet myth. grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/20/16.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm a potato eating Irishman, and highly offended that I would have to choose either of those two choices. Bugger off laddie....

Last edited by battue; 12/20/16.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good grief. We're the one's with -25*F weather. Not sure how anyone gets their panties wadded over the shape of a little brass cylinder. The world has many such cylinders, all "about perfect" for little whitetail deer.

Will say, Bob despises one of my favorites, the 308 Win, but I don't take it personally. He's my friend, even though he's completely ignorant. grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At least the M70 will not have the bolt handle fall off, or the extractor break, or the trigger malfunction. Of course you will absolutely have to weld the bolt handle so it does not spin. Oh, you have to use the same barrel and stock as everyone else, and powder, and bullets. Damn, you will need a semi to haul this [bleep].

Of course, then there are the Bubba's we make fun of. Some of them, with factory stock rifles, factory ammo, see through mounted blister pack scopes, kill an awful lot of game. And, not all from the road.

But then I am just passing thru life, learning as I go, Looking down at no man, looking down at my feet for no man. smile

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Good grief. We're the one's with -25*F weather. Not sure how anyone gets their panties wadded over the shape of a little brass cylinder. The world has many such cylinders, all "about perfect" for little whitetail deer.

Will say, Bob despises one of my favorites, the 308 Win, but I don't take it personally. He's my friend, even though he's completely ignorant. grin

Laffin'!

Brad what can you expect from a Snarkey Yankee!?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Brad

Laffin'!

Brad what can you expect from a Snarkey Yankee!?

I prefer "cantankerous". grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Of course, then there are the Bubba's we make fun of. Some of them, with factory stock rifles, factory ammo, see through mounted blister pack scopes, kill an awful lot of game. And, not all from the road.

Southern Bubba's are most often into the good chit and willing to pay for it. Northern Bubba's not so much. Give credit were it's due.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 80 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,688
Posts18,456,480
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.